News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Perfect Steampunk Car + Fabulous Land Vehicles

Started by Hurricane Annie, January 23, 2017, 01:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miranda.T

Coal fired Land Rover Defender, anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wJz3_rNbhA&feature=youtu.be

This made the BBC breakfast news today. The presenters seemed quite nonplussed by it; they clearly had not heard of the steam powered cars from the Edwardian era...

Yours,
Miranda.

RJBowman

Quote from: Miranda.T link=topic=nd 49112.msg988310#msg988310 date=1513793001

This made the BBC breakfast news today. The presenters seemed quite nonplussed by it; they clearly had not heard of the steam powered cars from the Edwardian era...

Americans might be more familiar with the historic vehicles due to Stanley Motor Carriage's famous Stanley Steamer car, whose name lives on as the brand name of a carpet cleaning service.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Miranda.T on December 20, 2017, 06:03:21 PM

Yours,
Miranda.

People may not have heard of early automobiles, but they'd sure have fun listening to that racket coming to town.  ;D

The Worlds First coal powered Steam Land Rover

And I bet trying to see past all that steam when the wind is blowing in the wrong direction must be fun for the driver

Steam Engine in a Landrover!

Still the Stanley Steamer is far more elegant (and the smokestack/exhaust was placed in the right place - behind the driver)

Full Steam Ahead - 1908 Stanley Model K Steam Car

A White Steamer

1907 White Steamer - Jay Leno's Garage

D Judson Purcell

I always like this from 1922; the Zeiner Kleinwagen. Apparently it was a one off.

This photo has clearly been colour enhanced but it still looks awesome. A bit like a dirigible from the front and a boat from the back.
D Judson Purcell, Proprietor and Contraptionist
"I cannot guarantee that it will work, but I can guarantee that it will be late."

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: D Judson Purcell on January 20, 2018, 11:11:46 PM
I always like this from 1922; the Zeiner Kleinwagen. Apparently it was a one off.

This photo has clearly been colour enhanced but it still looks awesome. A bit like a dirigible from the front and a boat from the back.

It is reminiscent of a dirigible

Also of one if those fabulous Banana Splits buggies and Lancelot Link vehicles from back in the day.  Imagine a world where normalcy was seeing such  vehicles lined up. In parking spaces.

von Corax

Quote from: Hurricane Annie on March 09, 2018, 03:12:49 PM

Also of one if those fabulous Banana Splits buggies and Lancelot Link vehicles from back in the day.  Imagine a world where normalcy was seeing such  vehicles lined up. In parking spaces.

Those are still available. They're called Argos and they're built here in Southwestern Ontario.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: von Corax on March 09, 2018, 09:19:44 PM

Those are still available. They're called Argos and they're built here in Southwestern Ontario.

I don't drive.   Though I do wonder if such  vehicles would be more  practical than the large  4 x4 driven around the suburbs.

Fairley B. Strange

Argos and the like are usually licenced as recreational vehicles only - unfortunately fibreglas shells don't meet modern crash safety standards. Although they might sneak in as being a mobility scooter or similar special category.

However, if I ever find my physical mobility impaired, I'm going to try for something more like this...

https://youtu.be/Qnrcr-rOcuw
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: Fairley B. Strange on March 10, 2018, 09:29:47 AM
Argos and the like are usually licenced as recreational vehicles only - unfortunately fibreglas shells don't meet modern crash safety standards. Although they might sneak in as being a mobility scooter or similar special category.

However, if I ever find my physical mobility impaired, I'm going to try for something more like this...

https://youtu.be/Qnrcr-rOcuw

I did wonder about the  legality of road use for the  buggies

That mobility  vehicle looks   excellent for purpose.   Scooter users regularly  attempt to traverse the terrain  in  the local neighbourhood. Broken curbs, cars parked haphazardly over foot paths, berms and drive ways, wheelie bins,  beg oaken glass.  That  beast would sort the matter out, shift a few small cars  shovel meanderers out the way

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: Miranda.T on March 11, 2018, 01:57:26 PM

(snip)

These also work on the moon... http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/cguide/uc11.html

Television   at its zenith.  Martin Landau wouldn't let us down.  If he's using those buggies on the moon, they must be good.

von Corax

Don't laugh. Argo have a Space & Robotics division, and they're currently working with the Canadian Space Agency to develop a lunar rover.

Miranda.T

Quote from: von Corax on March 11, 2018, 08:47:47 PM
Don't laugh. Argo have a Space & Robotics division, and they're currently working with the Canadian Space Agency to develop a lunar rover.

Life imitates art  :D. Just so long as they don't start dumping nuclear waste up there...

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. I liked the lunar 'hopper' from UFO https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/168322104803398088/?lp=true

RJBowman

Some variations of the design were created for GI Joe:

Hurricane Annie

RJBowman

Quote from: Hurricane Annie on March 16, 2018, 10:04:23 AM
GI Joe  - steampunk  ?? Hmm

No, but the 1/6 scale figure is good for highly-detailed miniature clothing and gear.

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: RJBowman on March 16, 2018, 10:56:37 PM

No, but the 1/6 scale figure is good for highly-detailed miniature clothing and gear.

So he's a bit of a barbie doll then  ; }

RJBowman

Quote from: Hurricane Annie on March 17, 2018, 09:50:22 AM

Same scale as Barbie, but much more poseable, and has a hobbyist subculture that obsesses on detail and authenticity. What's the difference between an action figure and a doll? My theory is that if it's hands are designed to hold things, it's an action figure.

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: RJBowman on March 19, 2018, 02:36:11 AM
Quote from: Hurricane Annie on March 17, 2018, 09:50:22 AM

Same scale as Barbie, but much more poseable, and has a hobbyist subculture that obsesses on detail and authenticity. What's the difference between an action figure and a doll? My theory is that if it's hands are designed to hold things, it's an action figure.

Are you suggesting the unseemly in regard to GI Joe Mr Bowman? Or action figures in general?

[to ruin your theory, they all have plastic mounds]

bicyclebuilder

A small throwback: the Volkswagen Type 181 kind of looks like the Citroën Méhari or the Citroën FAF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_M%C3%A9hari

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_FAF

The other Frensh manufacturer Renault also made a similar vehicle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Rodeo

As for GI Joe VS Barbie: I like the look of GI Joe because the dimensions are more realistic. They might be the same size, but the legs on Barbie are way to long for a realistic look.
If you want to step away from that plastic look, you might want to go for a wooden mannequin. I think the most available size comes in a 1:6 ratio.
The best way to learn is by personal experience.

RJBowman

Quote from: Hurricane Annie on March 19, 2018, 02:58:18 PM
 Are you suggesting the unseemly in regard to GI Joe Mr Bowman? Or action figures in general?

[to ruin your theory, they all have plastic mounds]

Action figures are a wholesome toy, and I will not allow you to defame them by making lewd suggestions about what they may be holding in their hands.

Hurricane Annie

von Corax

RJ, I'd accuse you of threadjacking, but I fear I might be misinterpreted.

J. Wilhelm

SolarCenturion

I'm at work so can't post pics right now but as far as stock, off the line cars that have a steampunk feel, I'll say mini coopers. Especially their dashboards.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell