News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Antipodean Steampunks

Started by Per den Stigandr, August 17, 2018, 03:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Per den Stigandr

God dag ladies and gentlefolk,

Now days I find myself more and more involved in the Steampunk communities of both Australia and New Zealand.  Much of this interaction takes place in person or through the world of the Facebook.  As such I have not been that involved with this esteemed forum for some time.

I am curious though, many of the names and faces I see here, are not ones I am familiar with through other groups and festivals.  So, who here is;

• Still active in the Steampunk community of the Antipodes; and
  • Also a user of Facebook and as such is involved in groups and such there?

I would consider posting links to the various FB groups, etc, but I need to refresh myself of the forum rules before doing that.

Banfili

Per, not out there active, & wouldn't touch Facebook with a ten foot pole! But living the quiet SP aesthetic in my own quiet way!

Hurricane Annie

I got driven out of the regional  steampunk group  on moral hygiene grounds  for being a single lady. 

Banfili

Hurricane, you weren't suppoed to be a single lady, or your moral hygiene was too strong? ;D

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: Banfili on August 18, 2018, 02:24:11 PM
Hurricane, you weren't suppoed to be a single lady, or your moral hygiene was too strong? ;D

Aparrently as a single woman, I was a risk  to the moral welfare  and virtue of the men in the wider steampunk  movement, according to some of the  matrons . I was excluded from events and communications, blocked off the  Facebook page  and generally shunned

Bearing in mind the men in the group were either safely married or  confirmed bachelors,  fixatedly interested in gadgets  and mechanical parts,  that my  extensions aren't too movable and my mechanics are fairly shot    -  I  was hardly going to be tempting to  them in any form. Which had been  a point of comfort and haven  for me.

Banfili

Bit of both then! As an independent single lady myself I can completely understand - single ladies are a continual threat. Sometimes even my walking stick is considered a 'prop' to gain sympathy and gentlemanly consideration. It almost impossible to get across that I am a single lady by intent, not misfortune!

Hurricane Annie

We shall just have to succumb and become nuns. Pass the sherry   :)

Banfili

Thank you, don't mind if I do! But I like mine sweet, no lemonade!

Melrose

Annie and Banfili, I am going to a Steampunk fest in a week, and I am a single guy. Should I take a chaperone?

Banfili

Melrose, do you want a chaperone?  ;D

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: Melrose on September 06, 2018, 10:15:19 AM
Annie and Banfili, I am going to a Steampunk fest in a week, and I am a single guy. Should I take a chaperone?

Yes. Mr Melrose. You will definitely need a  chaperone  of the  stoutest moral fibre and inner fortitude.  There will be widows and spinsters  only to eager to lure your virtuous and honest self doewn the garden path.

Watch out for pick pockets and loose women

Melrose

I went, chaperoned, for all the good it did. I was thwarted by my immense charisma, which in retrospect I should not have worn.  ;)
Nonetheless I am putting up a few pics of the occasion, though my phone cam seemed unenthusiastic. The 2018 Steampunk Festival, then...
Firstly, my costume (Samuel Melrose, Loss Adjustor); Len Insworth (Bolshie) and a Bolshie agent whose name is not on my files; and yours truly again at the festival venue, the Port Adelaide Railway Museum. 4th shot is part of the venue, between various rolling stock. The temperature was such that the generated smoke hung beautifully motionless, up near the roof.

Fifthly, a general view of the business district; indie booksellers, snack vendors, purveyors of crafts and accoutrements, etc.

A stall in the Main Street, with a steaming device in the background; a lady aeronaut with a pack of her own construction; a skilled artisan sharing methods for equipping oneself; and a gentleman who has equipped himself with a flamethrower, beneath whose fuel tank he has bravely added a small charcoal burner.  

A well-dressed couple; myself ignoring a gate-crasher; an intrepid sub-mariner (he either has a squid in his pocket or he's happy to see me); my Bolshie friend about to pilfer a locomotive.

An impressive wingspan attracts the eye; but he has the breeding to fold his wings to conduct genteel conversation.

Closing on the Bolshie swine; and finally, cuffed and in my custody.

(And honestly, how was I to know placing a foot on the locomotive catwalk would set off an alarm?)

Any interested Facebooker can find more at Steampunk South Australia's FB page. Some superb photos of this event plus other cosplay gatherings are on Steamkittens FB page. I think putting either name in the FB "search" field will take you to them. Should it not, you may appeal to my good nature, which I have in a drawer next to my charisma, though I don't often take it out.

On a serious note it was the first Steampunk outing for me and the couple I was with. It was more fun even that I had expected, and very friendly.

Banfili

Oh, nicely done, Melrose! Lovely photos, charisma & all - so glad you & your friends enjoyed yourselves.  ;D

Hurricane Annie

It looks like a great day was had by all!

Melrose

It was superb. I don't know much about the organisers - whether a formal group or an established network - but it seem the main organiser has been getting well-earned praise. The participants were a very sociable lot, though some of the "civilians" who turned up merely to visit the museum seemed occasionally confused. I believe they have another gathering in December, the height of summer, so out will come the pith helmet.

Per den Stigandr

Quote from: Melrose on September 19, 2018, 11:26:13 AM

A well-dressed couple;

On a serious note it was the first Steampunk outing for me and the couple I was with. It was more fun even that I had expected, and very friendly.

Greetings Melrose,

I am not sure if you have put two and two together, but in your "well-dressed couple" picture, I am the less good looking of the two.  You may have recognised me from my profile picture?

We are from the Unorthodox Society for the Elucidation of Retro-Futurism (also to be found on FB, and elsewhere).

We travelled from northern NSW to Adelaide especially to attend the festival there and to observe the South Australian Steampunk scene.  It was a lovely two day event, and we met some wonderful people.  Hopefully it and the Steampunk community there will continue to grow and prosper, as it helps to showcase some incredibly creative people.

On another note, you looked splendidly attired for your first Steampunk outing.  Well done sir.  I hope it has raised your enthusiasm, and that you continue to explore and patron the world of Steampunk.

Banfili

If Melrose didn't, I didn't either - splendid outfits, all round! (although, admittedly, I wasn't there!)

And well travelled, Per den Stigandr - a fair distance by any means!

Melrose

Thank you, Per den Stigandr, for your kind words. I of course recognise you now with the benefit of hindsight ;)
There were so many excellent costumes, yours in particular, and all showing different perspectives on the subject. It was indeed a day well spent, even if the feathers in my hat vanished in the first ten minutes, and I hope it won't be my last outing.
EDIT: I see your portrait is up on the "Steamkittens" FB page. Nice!

Sorontar

Thanks for the photos and reports. While I am sorry I missed it, being a Victorian Victorian, it is joyous to see such such good things happening.
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Synistor 303

Quote from: Sorontar on September 25, 2018, 07:39:30 AM
Thanks for the photos and reports. While I am sorry I missed it, being a Victorian Victorian, it is joyous to see such such good things happening.

I do find it frustrating that in such a place as 'Victoria', we don't seem to have many (any?) Steampunk things going on here.

Melrose

I know the feeling. You've been at it longer than me, I guess, so know whereof you speak, but the Steampunk fest above was my first "outing" and it reassured me the people are out there.
Until then, all I knew was that there was an uncontactable clique who occasionally did photo shoots in old buildings. Were it not for the annual gathering I'd never have met them.
Before that, all I had was a local coffee shop. It leads me to suggest a "do-it-yourself" group, built up bit by bit. One day one of the regulars commented that with all the old fogeys in our crowd, we should have a "hat and walking stick" day. For me, that meant wear my usual! But I thought, why not go over the top, so I did. I got there and found I wasn't the only one to costume up. The coffee shop staff and customers loved it, and want to know when we'll do it again, and everyone has fun.

So the next part of the plan is to suggest we all "dress neatly" or "dress formally". Then it will be "dress historically". People are already asking how to get hold of the older-style fashions. After that, it's simply a matter of today the coffee shop, tomorrow the world... and I won't even need tripod fighting machines to do it! Muuu...wahahahah!

Synistor 303

My son in law (a brewer - what a hoot eh!) is in the process of opening one of those beer-in-a-warehouse type set-ups. I have suggested it would be a good venue for spot of Splendid Teapot Racing. He is quite open to the idea, providing I organise it... It would definitely be an introduction to Steampunk for lots of people and might start a mini revival in Steampunk in north east Melbourne. Prizes would be given for dress etc as well as the actual race winning. If successful, it could be a good annual or biannual event.

I know there is a Steampunk event in Tasmania each year, but it is in Tasmania... (I am allowed to criticise Tasmania because I am the only 'mainlander' in the family, and proud of it! No scar on my neck!)

Ballarat would lend itself to a Steampunk festival - there is a wonderful festival www.andersonsmillfest.org.au/ held at an old operating water mill which would be perfect for such an event. As it is, I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid if a few Steampunks were to walk about there.