News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).

Started by James Harrison, April 28, 2019, 05:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madasasteamfish

Well, due to personal (or should that be personnel?) reasons I'm taking something of a break from the trains, and following a visit to the model shop last week I've got a few airfix models to be built.

A Higgins boat has been put together and is about to get a first paint of coat. I've also got a LCMV and sherman tank double pack still in the box, and a Bren Gun carrier and 6 PDR anti-tank gun which might be looked at later today.

The painting will have to wait until I've been able to get the relevant paints.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

James Harrison

That reminds me actually, I've got a couple of dreadnoughts to look at too. Lord Nelson (actually a semi-dreadnought) and Temeraire (which is going to be a much-altered Dreadnought). It's finding the time to get round to them though...
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

James Harrison

I don't often go to model railway exhibitions because, well- local to me there's the Stafford exhibition (usually on the coldest, wettest, snowiest weekend in February) and the Warley exhibition (usually on the coldest, wettest, snowiest weekend in November). 

There's one which I have previously really enjoyed and that is the Great Central's model event in the middle of June.  This year it takes place 14-16 June at Loughborough, Quorn and Rothley.  I'll most likely be paying a visit on the 15th so if anybody wants to meet up...
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Madasasteamfish

Well the Higgins boat has received the base coat of the first of it's first multiple colours, and the Bren Carrier and 6pdr are together, awaiting painting. All I need now are the paints...
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

The Bullet

Found a Citroen TA at the local buy&sell.
Tinplate model, scale 1:11. Perfect fit for 5" gauge.
I just re-started work on my GWR Loriot.

To do:

dummy leaf springs mainly.

As it was in running order there was no further detailing work when the parts for the railcar were delivered.
Now I have a reason to go on.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

James Harrison

Today I have: finished the ballast brake, finished my first GCR coal wagon, started a batch build of the next seven (yes, seven)...

James Harrison

It's another weekend! Plans.  I have, this week, progressed the seven new coal wagons; seven have been largely built and are sitting on their axles, four have painted bodies and weathered insides and seven have painted brake handles and buffers. On balance, taken as a single entity, they're about half finished. 

Seven more wagons have arrived but before they can be looked at I'm going to need to replenish my stocks of GCR freight stock transfers.  Which means that something else will be looked at in the interim- and I think that will be the 9H 0-6-0 that I took a break from last weekend.  This needs transfers, varnish and weathering, so it will be something of an easy win. 

James Harrison

And- another loco finished. 

Much lighter weathering on this one. 

The Bullet

Working on the Loriot.
As the leaf springs are hardly visible I am making a slightly simplified version.

Pics to follow

James Harrison

I had cause to dig out my copy of R A Burt's "British Battleships of World War One" this morning, in the midst of a hurculean effort to move one of my piles of books six inches to the left so that someone can reach a window  ???

Upshot is I've had a good look at some photographs and plans of the Bellerophon-class dreadnoughts of 1907, and the conclusion I've basically reached is that a conversion of Dreadnought to a Bellerophon (Bellerophon, Temeraire or Superb) could be easier than I first anticipated.  Especially if, as I want to, you're looking at a conversion to one of the class as they appeared when first completed in 1909.   

Most of the work involved looks to be constructing new masts and spotting tops rather than extensive bridgework, but there is also the small issue that the secondary armament between the two is rather different (12pdr 3" guns on Dreadnought versus 4" guns on Temeraire). 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/Physical_Training_Q40285.jpg

Now the question is, when do I fit this in?- finish my wagons and then onto this or do I want to do another loco (or two, or three) first. 

Mercury Wells

Quote from: James Harrison on May 19, 2019, 02:59:30 PM

Now the question is, when do I fit this in?- finish my wagons and then onto this or do I want to do another loco (or two, or three) first. 

Roll a couple of dice?
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

The Bullet

Quote from: James Harrison on May 19, 2019, 02:59:30 PM

*tosses a washer*

Wow! It´s the side with the hole in it.

James Harrison

The Bullet

Found the real definition of tinkering.

Worked on the Loriot today.
Just wanted to bolt the dummy leaf springs in place.
8 holes, 8 threads, an easy job I thought.

Hole #5
sloooooowly turned the tap in...TINK!
well, still enough left to grab it with the pliers....Crack.
I'll drill it out. Whirrrrrrr....TINK!
Grabbed the centre punch and drove the remains out using BRUTEFORCE (TM)
Wanted to clean the hole. 2.5 mm drill, Whirrrrrr....TINK!
Re-drilled the hole 2.5 mm (no TINK this time).
next tap, slowly,....TINK!
Not again!
The third tap did the job.

Final score:
-2 2.5mm drill bits
-2 M3 taps
-my good mood

At least the dummy leaf springs are in place now.
Of course the screws were slightly too long so I had to take the wheelsets out to grind the screws flush with the frames.

BTW, where did my signature go? The profile still has it. Maybe I should use more duct tape.....

James Harrison

I thought the signatures only posted the first time you post on a page now? Noticed mine has only featured once too so far.

Sounds like good, if sometimes frustrating, progress is being made on the Loriot.

The Bullet

Here we go:

From this perspective the triangular supports below the deck are not visible.
The slightly simplified leaf springs really improve the look of the wagon.
Minor job left: fit windows to the car.

Banfili

The Bullet

Loriot has left the workshop.

Waiting for the Handtrails for the Taigatrommel cab.

Jobs to do:
- Fit cab rear walls
- Make drivers desk and seats
- Make windscreen wipers
- make dummy brake pipes/hoses for the bogies

Waiting for proper drawings of a Panzer III turret

Jobs to do:
- Make proper ventilation flaps for the undercarriage
- detailing of the turret
- detailing of the barrel

Collecting bits and pieces for two new wagons.
One might be a H10, the other will either be a G10 with brakeman´s cabin or another covered wagon based on the tool/workshop wagon of the local works railway.

The Bullet

GAH again.

Today the wheels and axles for the two new projects arrived.
I looked at the lot but felt the little chinese guy (Sum-Ting-Wong) standing beside me.

4 axles, check
8 wheels, check
but it did not look right.

Wrong wheels. They are 23mm thick instead of the 16 mm I ordered.
These are for 7.25".
Wrote an email.
Whoops, will send proper ones soon.

I am glad to have ordered months before I really need them.

James Harrison

I now have a complete rake of 8 empty coal wagons.  Perfect. 

The Bullet

Remember the opening door on the Taigatrommel?
It finally found a purpose.
During a running day you might want to check the condition of the rechargeable batteries.
I was fed up having to take the roof off and test all three batteries with a meter, even though I have a panel with connectors for that purpose.
I found some small modules.
The usual panel meter needs a battery, this type does not. It works using the voltage it measures for power supply.

Let's go to the loco:

Open that door

Push the magic button on the handset:

top to bottom:

-24V onboard main
-front battery
-rear battery
-sound system battery

The panels meters only light up when I press the button on the handset so no power is wasted.

Windscreen wipers to be made next.

James Harrison

Nice work!

Nothing from me this weekend I'm afraid, I've been on an access-all-areas tour of Didcot Railway Museum and a visit to the late Lord McAlpine's private railway at Henley-on-Thames.  Lovely stuff. 

Miranda.T

Quote from: The Bullet on May 26, 2019, 04:06:06 PM
Remember the opening door on the Taigatrommel?
It finally found a purpose.
(snip)

Ingenious! (and genius  :D).

Yours,
Miranda.

The Bullet

Picked up the P3.1 tender on Wednesday.
Wanted to wire up the low-water sensor but found that I had none of these small buzzers left. (There were plenty the last time I looked).
Soldered the threaded adapter to the loco feed pipe. (Pressurized connection from the tender hand pump to the clack.

Super Claud tender in the shop.
The hand pump had become stuck several times during the last few runs.
I also had to replace the pressurized hose connection to the loco.
Used another type of hose, so I had to solder a new adapter to the pipe.
Soldered it, no leaks. Pump was blocked again.
Tried this and that...to no avail.
Unscrewed pump output.
Pump worked.
Screwed it back in place.
Pump blocked.
Wait a minute.....
Unscrewed the pipe that connects the outside bush to the hose.
Pump worked.
I have no idea how but I have soldered the pipe completely shut.
A 3.5mm drill bit had to be used to free the pipe.
Of course there was still a bit of pressure between the clack and the (now removed) blockage.
So I received a bit of water and swarf right into the face.

Today I will install the refurbished clacks on the Super Claud.
Not sure if I will run it tomorrow.

Plans are to run P3.1, small shunter and Taigatrommel.

James Harrison

Almost totally free weekend.  (Aside from somebody coming up tomorrow to try to fix the car).  Right, opportunity to crack on with HMS Temeraire.