News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).

Started by James Harrison, April 28, 2019, 05:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bullet

Yesterday, the postman brought a big heavy box:

Except for James who already knows, guess what was inside.
BTW I have never seen a blower valve handwheel made from a Penny before...

One hint about the content:

I guess I need a new horse. This one has lost its tail.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

Madasasteamfish

A flat pack stable?

Or a scale fowler engine? Either a traction engine or steamroller.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

The Bullet

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on December 03, 2023, 11:11:40 AMA flat pack stable?

No steamroller, no traction engine.....but it has a blower valve and a horse.

James Harrison

Something I'm doing at the moment; having acquired copies of the Doncaster and Lincoln districts working timetables, I'm plotting the train graphs for the Sheffield- Barnetby and Lincoln- Shirebook/ Lincoln- Mansfield routes. This will then give me a skeleton on which to graft my Sheffield- Rufford and Lincoln- Rufford services. Which means I can then operate RLS to a believable timetable.

It hurts trying to plot it all out.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Madasasteamfish

In other news I finally got around to applying a livery to my WD/Robinson 2-8-0

Apologies for the orientation but I can't seem to fix it.

I've also begun the process of weathering it, although applying black ink to an already black loco seemed like shipping coals to Newcastle....

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

James Harrison

Looking good.

Ahh.  Hum.  Yes. 

https://tonystrainsofrugby.com/collections/exclusives

The phrase 'shut up and take my money' may or may not have been uttered. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Madasasteamfish

The Bullet

Madasasteamfish

Well, things have happened, specifically track laying. I'm now within spitting distance of finishing my OO9 micro...

I've still got to do a bit of soldering to get things running, and then need to do a little bit more scenic work in order to call it properly finished, but I feel comfortable saying my plans for this year are about 90% done. Which is appropriate as I turn my thoughts to plans for the 2024 programme.

James Harrison

This is what I have been drawing up.

This basically shows in graph form, freight train movements between Barnetby and Sheffield.  You've got mileages on the 'Y' axis and time on the 'X' axis, so by inspection the graph can only flow one way (a train can't arrive at its destination earlier than it departed, after all).  Each coloured line is a train movement.  Where the line is horizontal, the train is stationary.  Each colour indicates a different class of train.  The majority are either black - minerals or empty wagons - or red - light engines. 

I've decided on reflection that this really needs re-drawing as the only part really of relevance to RLS is the section between Retford and Shireoaks - from the east all I need to know is available paths from Retford (dictating when trains might enter the Worksop - Rufford section) and toward the west all I need to know is available paths out of Worksop (dictating when trains need to leave Rufford to have a clear run to Sheffield). 

This just happens to be the most congested part of the chart... I suspect freight traffic is going to be less in the way of through workings, and more in the nature of short trips between Worksop and Rufford.  Not that that's a bad thing, as I hardly have the space for a 20 or 30-wagon goods train. 

So for Version 2 of this;
1) It's just going to be the Retford - Shireoaks bit;
2) It's going to go into more detail - individidual yards, junctions, colliery sidings will be included;
3) I'm going to try to include the passenger workings as well;
4) I'm going to try to include the Shireoaks - Retford as well. 

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: James Harrison on December 21, 2023, 10:37:40 AMThis is what I have been drawing up.

This basically shows in graph form, freight train movements between Barnetby and Sheffield.  You've got mileages on the 'Y' axis and time on the 'X' axis, so by inspection the graph can only flow one way (a train can't arrive at its destination earlier than it departed, after all).  Each coloured line is a train movement.  Where the line is horizontal, the train is stationary.  Each colour indicates a different class of train.  The majority are either black - minerals or empty wagons - or red - light engines. 

I've decided on reflection that this really needs re-drawing as the only part really of relevance to RLS is the section between Retford and Shireoaks - from the east all I need to know is available paths from Retford (dictating when trains might enter the Worksop - Rufford section) and toward the west all I need to know is available paths out of Worksop (dictating when trains need to leave Rufford to have a clear run to Sheffield). 

This just happens to be the most congested part of the chart... I suspect freight traffic is going to be less in the way of through workings, and more in the nature of short trips between Worksop and Rufford.  Not that that's a bad thing, as I hardly have the space for a 20 or 30-wagon goods train. 

So for Version 2 of this;
1) It's just going to be the Retford - Shireoaks bit;
2) It's going to go into more detail - individidual yards, junctions, colliery sidings will be included;
3) I'm going to try to include the passenger workings as well;
4) I'm going to try to include the Shireoaks - Retford as well. 

Any chance you could send me a copy (and version 2 when you get around to it)? Not that I desperately need it myself for Dukeswood, but since that is the line I'm planning on'Lovingly ripping off' (In the words of Eric Idle), I think it could provide a good jumping off point for some of my plans for the 2024 programme.

James Harrison

I'll see what I can do about scanning it in / getting more detailed photos. 

The Bullet

Mileage on the Y Axix.....

Am I reading it wrong or are all trains going in the same direction?

James Harrison

They're all going in the same direction; I came to the conclusion that putting the Sheffield - Barnetby movements on the same chart would result in an incomprehensible mess - or more of one than it already is. 

Version 2 - Retford yards to Sheffield - is already shaping up much neater. 

I'm probably going to end up with four of them (possibly more);
 - Retford to Sheffield
 - Sheffield to Retford
 - Lincoln to Shirebrook North
 - Shirebrook North to Lincoln

Realistically I'd then want to be doing the same for the Midland lines around Mansfield, but (un)luckily the working timetables for that area aren't available. 

The Bullet

Question for the experts:

What kind of headlamp would a tram loco on the Brill Tramway have?
The few pics available of No. 807 do not show any lamp irons.

As the Brill Tramway was taken over by the Metropolitan Railway 807 could in some time of its live have worn Met headlamps.

What do you think?

James Harrison

I don't think it would have carried lamps on the following grounds;

1. With a top speed of about 8mph, the traction-engine type locos were only used on the Brill 'mainline' for about 5 years before being superseded by more conventional motive power.  This took place in 1877, long before it was taken over by the Metropolitan.

2. Thereafter they were only used on a short spur line.

3. Traditionally the headlamps were not used for lighting the way ahead.  They were primarily used so signallers could differentiate between the various types of train after dark.  There was no signalling as such on the Brill Tramway therefore no need for headlamp codes. 

I'd also note that there are no lamp irons or brackets on the Aveling & Porter engines.

James Harrison

Attempt #2 on a train graph. This time, I've actually managed to get the passenger workings on too. 
Well, it does show that there is- theoretically- capacity I can take advantage of. It all depends on leaving Worksop at specific times, which then dictates that trains have to be out of Rufford at specific times if they aren't to 'lose their path'. 

So now the next one to do is Sheffield to Retford. 

Sorontar

Is that a standard way of visualising train schedules and movements? If so, does it have a name?
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

James Harrison

It's called a train graph or train diagram and they're actually used by railway companies to build up the timetable and locomotive/ rolling stock dispositions. For instance, if you have two towns 10 miles apart and you know it takes 25 minutes to travel between them, the graph will show that (if you only have one track to use) that you can't send a train from B to A until the train from A to B has arrived. Sounds a simple error to avoid but it's easy to make if you're just looking at rows of numbers in the timetable.

Likewise it also shows the speed of trains between two points. In or example above, most trains might take 25 minutes but what about an express that only takes 15? It's easier to spot on the graph because it's a steeper line.

Then you could take it one step further- usually these are produced for specific services, what about if you did it for a specific locomotive? You could say it works between A and B, and back to A. But when it gets there it will need to refuel. So then you can draw in the route it takes to the depot (making sure it doesn't clash with anything else) and the time it spends there, and then it's route back to the station ready to take another train out.

It's a very useful tool.

The Bullet

Quote from: The Bullet on December 03, 2023, 12:50:05 PM
Quote from: Madasasteamfish on December 03, 2023, 11:11:40 AMA flat pack stable?

No steamroller, no traction engine.....but it has a blower valve and a horse.

Brill tramway No. 807:

Running under her own steam now but still has some issues to fix before she will pull the not to scale driver (me).

Madasasteamfish

Well, it's that time again, and it's time to review last year and lay out some plans for 2024. For reference, here's my list of tasks for 2023:

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on December 29, 2022, 10:16:36 PM1. First off is finishing my OO9 micro, which I've broken down into several steps;
i) Finish off the backscene
Well this has definitely been done.
Quote from: Madasasteamfish on December 29, 2022, 10:16:36 PMii) Lay the track. I should have everything I need to do this, but don't want to be fiddling with the backscene afterwards.
So has this at long last
Quote from: Madasasteamfish on December 29, 2022, 10:16:36 PMiii) Wire everything up. I'm not planning to include point motors or anything complicated, but electrics are something of a dark art for me, so hopefully this will be a good project to cut my teeth on and build some confidence.
iv). Scenics. I have a plan for the ground cover, and the buildings ready, I just need to fix them into place.
Well, this is where things have stalled a little. I've come close enough that I feel comfortable rolling this until the end of my current domestic arrangements, but would have preferred to be able to knock this totally on the head.
Quote from: Madasasteamfish on December 29, 2022, 10:16:36 PM1. Figure out the necessary dimensions.
Another quick win I managed successfully.

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on December 29, 2022, 10:16:36 PM2. I acquired a Wills craftsman country station kit a while ago that I intend to use as the basis for one of the intermediate stations, so putting that together is the first build plan (I may expand this out into a scenic plank effort in the style of Mr Harrison's Cremonre for Pittance)
Whilst the wider plan failed it is together and has provided some useful knowledge and experience.
Quote from: Madasasteamfish on December 29, 2022, 10:16:36 PM3. Attack my kit stash to build up at least 1 full rake of coal wagons
The only objective I've actually been able to exceed my expectations as I've built up 2 full coal trains (albeit only one from kits).
Quote from: Madasasteamfish on December 29, 2022, 10:16:36 PM4. Achieve the beginnings of a steel train
Another win as whilst I've not made much progress it has happened.

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on December 29, 2022, 10:16:36 PM5. A clear plan for what I've thus far taken to calling my War Department train (some pieces of heavy military engineering to go alongside the steel train help give the flavour of Sheffield without actually specifying a real world location)

One that has been a bit mixed but a more recent pondering has led to a clear decision, but which will involve more monologuing than I'm comfortable with in this already long update.

All in all this means I've achieved 7/9 of my objectives so more than enough for a 1st in academia so I think I can be quite proud of myself.

As to my 2024 plans I think I'll leave that for the moment...

Madasasteamfish

Well I suppose I've kept you all in suspense long enough to unveil my list of 2024 plans.

1st off is of course to finish off my OO9 micro which I've rolled over from 2023 and have provisionally given myself the deadline of my expected change in domestic arrangements (currently the end of February).

As to other things, they all related to Dukeswood and trying to consolidate what I've already accomplished before adding to it.

1. Build up a list of trains I want to run (not quite a timetable/running order but something so as I can figure out exactly what I stock I already have, what I need and tasks I need to do). Hopefully this should discourage my usual magpie approach of 'oooh I could make that work!' and buying a rake of wagons/shiny thing.

2. Build up another full train, specifically I'm going to try and put together a ballast train as I have more than enough wagons and with 2 kits (although I may need wheels) awaiting assembly that can provide a full train.

3. Sort of some sort of semi-permanent storage for things as my collection has vastly outgrown the handful of cardboard stock boxes I acquired some years ago and so have a multitude of locos, wagons and coaches strewn throughout my old bedroom at my parents. However, the exact size, shape and nature of this will depend on my new living arrangements.

(provisionally) 4. As I've rediscovered a laser cut baseboard I ordered for some reason I might see about using to create a scenic plank or similar I can (hopefully) incorporate into the finished layout. At the moment it's likely to either be the rural halt or the feed for the colliery sidings.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on January 03, 2024, 05:42:31 PM....Hopefully this should discourage my usual magpie approach of 'oooh I could make that work!' and buying a rake of wagons/shiny thing.

This is starting to get to be a problem as I've just spent more than I'd care to admit on a kit for another former GCR/ROD 2-8-0 O4, now the question is...what livery do I go for?

Do I go for LMS or LNER black? Or maybe BR black?

Or do I do something outrageous and paint it in GCR livery?

Madasasteamfish

Ermmm, the magpie approach has struck again.....

With the announcement of Hattons closing I took advantage of their closing down sale to acquire a few bits, including a bachamn V2.

Now I already have a brass kit for a V2 lurking in my stash but I'm tempted to do something with this one.

No matter what I'm going to do something about the hideous plastic coal load in the tender, but the gears in my mind have led to me entertaining the possibility of something potentially heinous.

Namely back dating it from its current BR Brunswick green to LNER green.

Even if I retain the BR livery I do want to renumber it to something more fitting than its current running number of 60943

The Bullet

Brake gear finished:

Blower power improved (was too weak to hold the fire even when the engine was not running.

Short clip of running light engine last time:

https://youtu.be/qnYce0YG07A

Water pump refurbished

Several minor jobs done.

Now I am waiting for another gap in the rain to have another test run.
Hopefully she will then pull me round my track.

Watch this space.