News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).

Started by James Harrison, April 28, 2019, 05:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Harrison

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

novice

make each day count

Ceir

Ah, model-building. I build and paint things for various non-steamy tabletop games, I build Gundams and adjacent stuff. My latest projects have been some still-nicely-brassy Warhammer40K Necrons, and a couple of Bandai's 30 Minute Missions chaps to join the Robot Shelves.

I've also accidentally sort of rabbit-holed myself. Like many of us here (I'm sure) I had model trains as a young'n, a big HO scale board my dad made for me, and I grew out of it as the years passed. A few years ago as of now, I reignited an interest in trains; thanks mostly to this board, following the restoration of 4014, and some really excellent stuff on the youtubes (a fellow with the channel handle of Hyce is quite good).

I swore I wasn't going to touch model trains again, though. If I ever did, it would be at a smaller scale, where would I set it up, all the things that you know where this story is going. I started reading model railroad forums again, and checked out a couple of swap meets. Went to the local museum. Brought home only books though!

And then the Friendly Local Hobby Shop had a Bachmann N-scale set for 20% off because the box was a little mulched. I picked it up figuring it's the click-together track, I can break it out for Christmas and put the little circle on my table, just run a little train around some decorations. Made sure everything worked. Decided that a consist of two cars and a caboose looked sad even for a little N-scale 0-6-0, and picked up an extra freight car. Started looking at minimal-space track plans and switching puzzle layouts. And it looks like I can squeeze a simple oval with a couple of sidings for Inglenook puzzles into a 2'x4' space.

...d_mnit I'm into model trains again.

Absolutely not going realistic or prototype here, just 'run toy trains in a circle' with the odd rearranging puzzle, and for all I joke I am setting a hard limit of a 2'x4' space in the end, but there's just something about it even with basic-grade Bachmann stock. F'rex, I didn't realize that their N-scale rolling stock has metal wheels, and especially the snap-together track isn't exactly the smoothest - so you get, even vastly scaled down, the click-click click-click of the wheels, and it just made me smile.
In all fairness, some of those who wander are definitely lost.

The Bullet

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

Madasasteamfish

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Ceir

Speaking of pictures, what are people using for freebie image hosts the days? Photobucket ate itself years back. Is Imgur still decent and reliable? I remember reading something about them blowing away images uploaded without an account, but I can find neither reference to it, nor the policy in their TOS.
In all fairness, some of those who wander are definitely lost.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Ceir on February 01, 2024, 08:42:55 PMSpeaking of pictures, what are people using for freebie image hosts the days? Photobucket ate itself years back. Is Imgur still decent and reliable? I remember reading something about them blowing away images uploaded without an account, but I can find neither reference to it, nor the policy in their TOS.

Whilst I can't speak for anyone else I use imgbb for my pictures. It's fairly simple to use and gives you the codes for posting to other sites.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

The Bullet

James Harrison

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

The Bullet

Made a new grate with wider spacing for the Brill Tramway loco.

and:

the inevitable has happened: I now have a resin 3D printer