News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Fruitcake: Good or Evil?

Started by von Corax, December 22, 2019, 03:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about fruitcake?

I've never tried fruitcake.
I can't stand fruitcake.
I have regifted fruitcake.
I like fruitcake.
I do everything in my power to reduce the world's supply of fruitcake.

Xenos

Quote from: Banfili on January 21, 2022, 10:43:02 AM
Quote from: Xenos on January 20, 2022, 11:38:28 PM
Quote from: Banfili on January 20, 2022, 10:25:50 PM
Quote from: Xenos on January 20, 2022, 04:29:01 PM
I do everything in my power to reduce the world's supply of fruitcake. With fire. Horrid stuff.

I must disagree, Xenos! Nourishing and sustaining, a wodge of rich fruit cake of light or dark persuasion sticks to the ribs and keeps one ticking over quite nicely 'til teatime!

Know what else does that? A good dark beer. All without being full of those wretched tree nuts that'll just up and kill me.

You can have fruit cake without nuts - you can even have fruit cake without fruit! I think that is just called cake, with alcohol!

You had me at alcohol...
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

von Corax

It is time once again to raise this question: Is fruitcake the food of the Gods or the spawn of the Devil?
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Synistor 303

We have been indulging in a bit of Bishops Bread of late. It is pretty much nuts, glacé fruit and a little intoxicated dried fruit mixed with the bare amount of cake mix to stick it together.

Not evil, really good!

Cora Courcelle

As always, all unwanted fruitcake will be gratefully received  :)
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

RJBowman

I've had horrible fruitcake, and I've had really good fruitcake that was 75% pecans. It can be good or evil, like Godzilla.

Synistor 303

Quote from: RJBowman on December 27, 2022, 05:13:10 PM
I've had horrible fruitcake, and I've had really good fruitcake that was 75% pecans. It can be good or evil, like Godzilla.

I guess that's true, but it would depend how you cooked Godzilla...

rovingjack

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

von Corax

My sister made a half-batch of my mother's fruitcake recipé, and ended up with three cakes.

It's clear that fruitcake is self-replicating.

givebracku

I've never tried fruitcake. I don't even know what's that. I'm gonna google now)))

edited:
ooook, I tried that
I just didn't know how it's called

von Corax

Quote from: givebracku on December 28, 2022, 10:12:14 PM
I've never tried fruitcake. I don't even know what's that. I'm gonna google now)))

edited:
ooook, I tried that
I just didn't know how it's called

And what did you think of it?

mizzarrogh

We hawe no such traditions in the part of the country where i live, bu i used to make it occationaly, like on Christmas, my brothers Grilfriend hate raisins so i had to skip it this time in favor of a chocolate cake instead, but i love it if i am allowed to say so my self... :-) I will deffinitly make one for my parens for the new year!

Cora Courcelle

My fruitcake is allllllll gone!
Better start thinking about Simnel cake for Easter   :D ....
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Synistor 303

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on February 04, 2023, 03:13:14 PM
My fruitcake is allllllll gone!
Better start thinking about Simnel cake for Easter   :D ....

We are down to our last half of Bishop's Bread, but I still have a container of drunken (dried) fruit so will make some more. I make lots of small cakes and small Bishop's Bread then put them in the freezer. Somehow or other the process of freezing the cake melds the flavour and distributes the moisture so there is never a dry edge or soggy middle. All very scientific...  ;D