News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Hornby Steampunk train set

Started by Madasasteamfish, January 06, 2020, 04:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madasasteamfish

Well, it seems Hornby have got around to chasing the brass pound and are planning to release a "Steampunk" range using the Basset-Lowke name later in the year in an effort to bring more people into the model rail hobby.

Images here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150342-hornby-goes-steampunk-in-2020/

Thoughts anyone? I know I'm not the only model rail enthusiast here and as much fun as it is watching the rivet counters get their knickers in a twist on the MR forums, I'm not sure about this.

I mean the figures look interesting, as do some of the locos, but the coaches, wagons and building look like they've been in the proximity of an explosion in a clock factory. I may invest in some as the basis of a project, but I'd like to hear other people's thoughts (especially since I'm inclined to think it's been aimed at non-Steampunks who aren't into model trains).

All in all personally I'm tempted to sum it up as, 'interesting concept, sh*te execution.'
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

James Harrison

1st thought: "that's an interesting new motor." Secind thought: "Oh. It's... not a motor." Third thought: not really repeatable in polite company. The W1 in the main range and Stephenson's Rocket are more intriguing, and I've got the one and don't particularly want/ need the other.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Kensington Locke

Everything was "huh, okay..." until I got to the buildings. I can accept gears glued on things people use or wear as an affectation for being a fan of technology.  The Victorian equlivalent of wearing a Nike shirt.

But the buildings! What demon possessed a town to mount gears onto the outer walls and roofing for no apparent reason? Are there not zoning laws?

Athanor

Well, the figures look pretty good, but at 27mm they're overscale for 00. As for the rest; I get the distinct feeling that whoever did the design work was someone who had heard of model trains and heard of Steampunk but lacked any real understanding of either. "Let's glue some gears on it and call it Steampunk" comes to mind . .  . .

Athanor
Vero vobis dico, qui quaerit, inveniet eius. Et saepius, parum volet.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

              - Elias Ashmole Crackbone.

Deimos

Quote from: Kensington Locke on January 06, 2020, 06:10:48 PM
...But the buildings! What demon possessed a town to mount gears onto the outer walls and roofing for no apparent reason? Are there not zoning laws?

HAHA....too funny!
"Unless you're prepared to surrender everything, don't surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

Miranda.T

Possibly some better choices could have been made... Reading down the suggestions in the comments below the linked article there are some far better ideas for what might have been done. I think Hornby have missed a trick - rather than producing a whole new set of models, why not a set of 'add on' parts to 'punk up their existing kits?

Yours,
Miranda

Banfili

Well, I must admit I do like the engines, the rolling stock, definite no, and the buildings are shockers! The bridge isn't bad on its own, but doesn't really need those cogs/gears stuck all over. I am not aware of wizards riding the railways in Victorian towns - have I missed something there?
The concept layout with the warships looks really interesting - but those buildings!

chironex

Hornby and Bassett-Lowke seem to have decided to make a steampunk range.
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F150342-hornby-goes-steampunk-in-2020%2F&fbclid=IwAR3gShBtPuTa6SCso2St0wPb8CsKdWYd_pzaGJp6fUeIZ60PbANYeDVv4T8

I'm not convinced. It certainly doesn't look very well-done. In fact it looks like a prank, because the models look like something a kid would come up with.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

chironex

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on January 06, 2020, 04:21:50 PM
Well, it seems Hornby have got around to chasing the brass pound and are planning to release a "Steampunk" range using the Basset-Lowke name later in the year in an effort to bring more people into the model rail hobby.

Images here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150342-hornby-goes-steampunk-in-2020/

Thoughts anyone? I know I'm not the only model rail enthusiast here and as much fun as it is watching the rivet counters get their knickers in a twist on the MR forums, I'm not sure about this.

I mean the figures look interesting, as do some of the locos, but the coaches, wagons and building look like they've been in the proximity of an explosion in a clock factory. I may invest in some as the basis of a project, but I'd like to hear other people's thoughts (especially since I'm inclined to think it's been aimed at non-Steampunks who aren't into model trains).

All in all personally I'm tempted to sum it up as, 'interesting concept, sh*te execution.'

I must agree with your conclusion.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

SeVeNeVeS

I dont think I have ever seen such a commercial tacky load of unwanted rubbish in all my life.
If they actually manage to sell any of this, it beggars belief.
THIS is exactly what Steampunk is NOT about IMHO.
Oh Dear..........

Rockula

The range was apparently developed in consultation with the Ministry Of Steampunk and a number of reasonably well known Steampunk artists.

I can only assume that Hornby spoke to these people, took what they said on board....and then totally disregarded it.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Rockula

Just to point out that there is already a running thread on this subject. ;)
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Miranda.T

On page 3 or 4 of the comments the designer explains the contraints they were working under and the rationally for the designs, and it seems Hornby pretty much followed these ideas.

Yours,
Miranda

Mercury Wells

Quote from: Kensington Locke on January 06, 2020, 06:10:48 PM
But the buildings! What demon possessed a town to mount gears onto the outer walls and roofing for no apparent reason? Are there not zoning laws?

I wonder if they're meant to be Anchor Plates.?
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

von Corax

Quote from: Rockula on January 07, 2020, 01:20:06 PM
Just to point out that there is already a running thread on this subject. ;)
True. I shall merge them.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5849 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

Not being an aficionado on scale trains, I'd say just ditch the buildings. They look like the cheap tin cast "Steampunk" findings that you can buy at the hobby shop for scrapbooks and such.

Melrose


well, I looked at the catalogue and was fired up to vent my spleen (a fiery spleen is not something you see every day); but I saw others have already said it all. In short, I always had a fondness for the old Hornby and Tri-Ang and would have a straight 50s steam-powered layout if I had the space.
I would consider the steampunk locos (though why one is labelled a diesel is beyond me). I am not inspired by the rolling stock, and frankly, some good historic wagons would suit me more.
The buildings are offensive. Before someone heard that you just have to stick some gears on, they were perfectly acceptable classic railway buildings. And all that said, if I was setting up a steampunk layout, I would be converting the rolling stock and buildings myself. It would be a darn sight easier than making a new costume! 
I don't see it making a market impression on non-steampunkers, and if this forum is a measure, steampunkers won't be buying many.
BUT as a some-time gamer as well, I would take most of the figures. They would be too big for OO-HO scale but close enough to 28mm gaming scale.
So - rush out and buy the lot! They will vanish quickly from the market, become collector's items, and you can make a profit in a few years!  ;D

Madasasteamfish

Since I discovered the announcement of this range, I've had a couple of ideas running around my brain for steampunk model rail stuff.

One of these would be a sort of challenge to myself, and provided there is interest I could turn it into a "competition" of sorts, give me a bit of time to come up with some rules and I'll start a thread for it, if there are a few people interested.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

James Harrison

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on January 08, 2020, 03:59:57 PM
Since I discovered the announcement of this range, I've had a couple of ideas running around my brain for steampunk model rail stuff.

One of these would be a sort of challenge to myself, and provided there is interest I could turn it into a "competition" of sorts, give me a bit of time to come up with some rules and I'll start a thread for it, if there are a few people interested.

Colour me interested.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Herr Döktor

Quote from: Rockula on January 07, 2020, 01:19:12 PM
The range was apparently developed in consultation with the Ministry Of Steampunk and a number of reasonably well known Steampunk artists.

I can only assume that Hornby spoke to these people, took what they said on board....and then totally disregarded it.

It seems some effort was made to contact me about some input into this project, but somehow the message never got through.

Looking at the reactions both here and on the model railway forums makes me wonder whether I dodged a bullet, or could have steered it on a better course...

Banfili

Quote from: Herr Döktor on January 09, 2020, 10:04:17 AM
Quote from: Rockula on January 07, 2020, 01:19:12 PM
The range was apparently developed in consultation with the Ministry Of Steampunk and a number of reasonably well known Steampunk artists.
I can only assume that Hornby spoke to these people, took what they said on board....and then totally disregarded it.

It seems some effort was made to contact me about some input into this project, but somehow the message never got through.
Looking at the reactions both here and on the model railway forums makes me wonder whether I dodged a bullet, or could have steered it on a better course...

Herr Döktor, how pleasing to see you again!

Synistor 303

Quote from: Athanor on January 06, 2020, 09:45:20 PM
Well, the figures look pretty good, but at 27mm they're overscale for 00. As for the rest; I get the distinct feeling that whoever did the design work was someone who had heard of model trains and heard of Steampunk but lacked any real understanding of either. "Let's glue some gears on it and call it Steampunk" comes to mind . .  . .

Athanor

I agree - a bit too "stick some cogs on it and call it Steampunk" for my liking. What an opportunity missed!

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Herr Döktor on January 09, 2020, 10:04:17 AM
Quote from: Rockula on January 07, 2020, 01:19:12 PM
The range was apparently developed in consultation with the Ministry Of Steampunk and a number of reasonably well known Steampunk artists.

I can only assume that Hornby spoke to these people, took what they said on board....and then totally disregarded it.

It seems some effort was made to contact me about some input into this project, but somehow the message never got through.

Looking at the reactions both here and on the model railway forums makes me wonder whether I dodged a bullet, or could have steered it on a better course...

I don't know. I say you dodged a bullet. What's the point of giving your opinion if it will be ignored?

chironex

Quote from: Banfili on January 06, 2020, 11:40:15 PM
I am not aware of wizards riding the railways in Victorian towns - have I missed something there?


Only half a library full of literature! Remember, this is a work of fiction, so you just imagine a wizard there and it shall be. I've seen layouts populated by anthropomorphic teddy bears, and one with an ironworks powered by the breath of a dragon.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

Banfili

Quote from: chironex on January 11, 2020, 08:11:23 AM
Quote from: Banfili on January 06, 2020, 11:40:15 PM
I am not aware of wizards riding the railways in Victorian towns - have I missed something there?


Only half a library full of literature! Remember, this is a work of fiction, so you just imagine a wizard there and it shall be. I've seen layouts populated by anthropomorphic teddy bears, and one with an ironworks powered by the breath of a dragon.


Usually wizards are a little more discrete when travelling on public transport - after all, spells have been know to go awry at times!
Railway layouts populated by anthropomorphic teddy bears - poor, misplaced ursines!