News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Hornby Steampunk train set

Started by Madasasteamfish, January 06, 2020, 04:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madasasteamfish

Well, the first of my aforementioned ideas has formally taken shape.

Details here if anyone else wants to get involved with it;
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,50777.0.html
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

chironex

Quote from: Banfili on January 11, 2020, 08:14:02 AM
Quote from: chironex on January 11, 2020, 08:11:23 AM
Quote from: Banfili on January 06, 2020, 11:40:15 PM
I am not aware of wizards riding the railways in Victorian towns - have I missed something there?

Only half a library full of literature! Remember, this is a work of fiction, so you just imagine a wizard there and it shall be. I've seen layouts populated by anthropomorphic teddy bears, and one with an ironworks powered by the breath of a dragon.

Usually wizards are a little more discrete when travelling on public transport - after all, spells have been know to go awry at times!
Sometimes. Magic classes in Deadlands or The Sixth Gun may dress like other travellers due to magic, which you can't get away from in either setting, not being officially recognised. In Kaisers Gate, it's because mages are an asset and there's a war on. Not that there's a particular way wizards dress in those settings. Though in Deadlands: Noir a houngan will look rather like a stereotype of the dandy, richer vodoun practitioner from New Orleans.
In Raising Steam, however, wizards ride the train looking like wizards, because everyone knows they're wizards already.[/quote]
Railway layouts populated by anthropomorphic teddy bears - poor, misplaced ursines!
Right. Because dollhouses are their natural habitat, obviously.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

Herr Döktor

Hornby now have clear pictures on their website, I'm astonished at the quality:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/bassett-lowke-steam-punk.html

:o

Deimos

I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams (or nightmares) that anyone would shell out good, or even not so good, money for that, or the other pieces I saw on the website.

Except for the gear package...now that was super-dee-duper, neato-torpedo!   ::)
"Unless you're prepared to surrender everything, don't surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

James Harrison

Wow. So that's what happens when you put a Hornby engine in a scalextric track. It melts...
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Rockula

The 'Rogue' Lady Triphenia Lovelace's Diesel Dames Engine looks like they had a spare engine for a Grumman 'Bearcat' and just glued it on top.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

The Bullet

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Herr Döktor on January 13, 2020, 03:58:13 PM

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/bassett-lowke-steam-punk.html

Oh it's all truly hideous. I'm more and more  convinced of my original impressions. By the photos it looks like they're trying to mass produce the models this Laurie Calvert person has created and are working from their interpretation of Steampunk.

Personally I think they'd have been better off producing a set of basic chassises and body shells with interchangeable parts so that people can create their own models.

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Kensington Locke

That is terrible.  It seems to me, they could have taken a normal steam locomotive, painted it copper and highlighted the rivets and called it good.

Lord Pentecost

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/bassett-lowke-
steam-punk.html

You think that's bad, look at the buildings! It looks like a clock vomited on them.

"Any machine is a smoke-machine if you screw up badly enough"

Lord Pentecost

Another few things to bare in mind:
1 - The Hornby 0-4-0 chassis is terrible, it is utterly incapable of slow speed running.
2 - The track layout for sale on the Hornby website doesn't actually work. As the Hornby points also switch the power (insulfrog) there is a part of this setup you cannot run the locos to unless you have a second controller or add additional track feeds https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/bassett-lowke-steam-punk/shunting-starter-pack.html

Lord Pentecost

Quote from: Rockula on January 13, 2020, 07:02:42 PM
The 'Rogue' Lady Triphenia Lovelace's Diesel Dames Engine looks like they had a spare engine for a Grumman 'Bearcat' and just glued it on top.

Well Hornby do also happen to own Airfix!

James Harrison

When the trade stand looks more appealing than the product.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: James Harrison on January 20, 2020, 07:00:56 PM

That it does, and it certainly looks more Steampunk IMHO.

Lord Pentecost

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on January 20, 2020, 07:18:20 PM
Quote from: James Harrison on January 20, 2020, 07:00:56 PM

That it does, and it certainly looks more Steampunk IMHO.

When you spend all the budget on marketing and have nothing left for product development!

Herr Döktor

Well, I'm told this range has disappeared from the annual printed Hornby catalogue, and I've been trying to find out if it's been officially canned, but as the official Hornby forum is currently being migrated to a new server, and that's where Google tells me the list of cancelled items is, I'm not 100% on this...

James Harrison

Nothing on RMWeb about when, or even if, they ever got released. Looks like they got canned before hitting the market.

Madasasteamfish

Well that seems strange. There was a review of the range in this month's BRM, and I'm sure I saw at least one of the paint sets on my last trip to a model shop (sometime last year).

A quick poke around Hornby's "new" website seems to show them available for order so I'm tempted to say that they're still in production, but quite probably the launch is being/has been kept slightly low key, and since this damnable plague has prevented any model shows/trade fairs from happening that's no surprise.

James Harrison

I think I'd give house room to their display stand.  The actual product? Not so much. 

E.J.MonCrieff

Quote from: James Harrison on January 25, 2021, 01:27:33 PM
Nothing on RMWeb about when, or even if, they ever got released. Looks like they got canned before hitting the market.

Perhaps they are being socially distanced?

chironex

Quote from: Banfili on January 06, 2020, 11:40:15 PM

Railway layouts populated by anthropomorphic teddy bears - poor, misplaced ursines!
Where else would they be? A battlefield? The old West? Perhaps the high seas?

No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

Madasasteamfish

Well it seems that hornby haven't abandoned their Bassett-Lowke range, and are now looking to create their own version of Steampunk Lego.

https://uk.bassettlowke.co.uk/catalogue/brickpunk?encoded=JYzBCsMgEET_xlugBkp7kUK_IPcQZKNbK1qV3ZWSv68lp4F58-aRoYQF5G12YEaRKddvwqkn9YpZkHj9QPEglQ57NnY_trVR9d2JdSAYBtvMk6JLSy9JNQhoozdaX27XWXElGY65K0JXybNt4-Q_MnpWZ_4A

These models seem to be far more Steampunk than their loco offerings, but I'm not sure they'll take off, even if they never get anywhere.

Sorontar

That is not similar to Lego - that is identical to Lego. I am wondering how they are getting around artistic copyright or patent restrictions. Meccano and other rivals have made their pieces distinctly different, but the shape and function of BrickPunk blocks is the same as Lego pieces, even to the extent that some may be thought as wierd shapes that only Lego could think of.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

J. Wilhelm

maduncle

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on April 15, 2021, 06:13:13 AM
"Brickpunk" Aaaaargh!

I leave the forum for a wee bit and this is what happens?

Horrible Hornby steampunk??

Lazy Lego rip off Brickpunk???

"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"