News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Hornby Steampunk train set

Started by Madasasteamfish, January 06, 2020, 04:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: maduncle on June 20, 2021, 10:32:26 AM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on April 15, 2021, 06:13:13 AM
"Brickpunk" Aaaaargh!

I leave the forum for a wee bit and this is what happens?

Horrible Hornby steampunk??

Lazy Lego rip off Brickpunk???

You see what the world has become. In this darkest hours, your presence is most welcome and needed.

Lazaras

QuoteI mean the figures look interesting, as do some of the locos, but the coaches, wagons and building look like they've been in the proximity of an explosion in a clock factory.

Agree whoelehartedly. This has a very 'dip it i nglue and roll around in the gears and cogs bin and call it steampunk' look, which I find dishearteningly tacky given trains are a deeply important part of the period. Even some of the locos themselves just.... look like ther'es unneeded greebling hither and yon for the sake of just adding detail.

That said? A couple look like promising armored trains, or bashed together post-post-apocolyptic 'having started to rebuild society' trains that got cobbled together from parts. However you couldn't PAY me to take those buildings, and i'd probably grab one of my more weighty walking sticks if you tried to get me to use that dreadful rolling stock.

We have a Mikado running about an hourish from here and.... she's a fine lady indeed with a long working life carrying frieght, passenger, and coal traffic. She's steam enough for me.

Just get some right proper period pullman-esque cars rather than the modern cabins it's pulling, and there ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocSjA4YmJww

Tell me that ain't a fine train. Go on. I know there are many better, but she's a looker.

Cheapie Theatre - Web Proxy for my Gemini Site
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!

Spare Goggles
If this forum goes down. I shall be reachable there under the same name.

Synistor 303

Quote from: Lazaras on February 09, 2022, 02:44:14 AM
QuoteI mean the figures look interesting, as do some of the locos, but the coaches, wagons and building look like they've been in the proximity of an explosion in a clock factory.

Agree whoelehartedly. This has a very 'dip it i nglue and roll around in the gears and cogs bin and call it steampunk' look, which I find dishearteningly tacky given trains are a deeply important part of the period. Even some of the locos themselves just.... look like ther'es unneeded greebling hither and yon for the sake of just adding detail.

That said? A couple look like promising armored trains, or bashed together post-post-apocolyptic 'having started to rebuild society' trains that got cobbled together from parts. However you couldn't PAY me to take those buildings, and i'd probably grab one of my more weighty walking sticks if you tried to get me to use that dreadful rolling stock.

We have a Mikado running about an hourish from here and.... she's a fine lady indeed with a long working life carrying frieght, passenger, and coal traffic. She's steam enough for me.

Just get some right proper period pullman-esque cars rather than the modern cabins it's pulling, and there ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocSjA4YmJww

Tell me that ain't a fine train. Go on. I know there are many better, but she's a looker.

That is one fine Chattanooga choo choo!

James Harrison

Oh dear God... are these eldritch horrors still on the market? (Mind you, I suppose Hornby need to make their money somehow now that they've been chased off a knock-off Titfield Thunderbolt set). 
I wouldn't even buy them as scrap/ components for hackbashing. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

MWBailey

If they actually ran on live steam...

No. Just ...no. Never mind.

Maybe if they ran on live steam and blew up on command?

(Sorry, Nscaler with delusions of something like deranged grandeur. Wants nscale live steam but knows it's incredibly unlikely.  But... !)
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

von Corax

Quote from: MWBailey on February 13, 2022, 05:03:13 PM

(Sorry, Nscaler with delusions of something like deranged grandeur. Wants nscale live steam but knows it's incredibly unlikely.  But... !)

I can picture it. You'd feed the firebox with surgical tweezers and a jeweller's loupe, and water the engine with an eye dropper.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

MWBailey

Quote from: von Corax on February 13, 2022, 05:43:38 PM
Quote from: MWBailey on February 13, 2022, 05:03:13 PM

I can picture it. You'd feed the firebox with surgical tweezers and a jeweller's loupe, and water the engine with an eye dropper.

ROFL Quite!
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Herr Döktor

Not in the catalogue, reduced to 50% in the shops that stocked it, safe to say that it's dead.

Mixed feelings: I've met Laurie (the man behind it), and he is quite genuine and believes in it, but...

mizzarrogh

I did actually ordered the both the sets Basset Lowke steampunk people this year, i wanted them in 0 gauge, but i could only find them in H0/00 so that's what i ordered, and i must say that i really like them, i did not yet wanted to unbox them so they are not painted at the moment, but they feels like good solid metal castings and the details are good in my opinion.

James Harrison

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.