News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....

Started by James Harrison, January 31, 2020, 08:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Harrison

Remember that marble washstand top?

I call that a success.  Naturally the washbasin and taps are only loose-placed at the moment, but it's a step in the right direction. 

The quandry now is what to do next;
1) The breathable emulsion has arrived for the dining room chimneybreast, so I could repaint that one wall.
2) The washstand splashback needs re-grouting before I can screw it back to the marble, so that could be done.
3) I've broken out enough bathroom floor to make painting the first two walls worthwhile.

So that's two fairly small things and one big one I've got to get going on.  I'm hopeless at deciding 'what next?' when my to-do list starts getting too long. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

James Harrison

Last night's dilemma saw me progress two items.

Firstly, the dining room wall took on a coat of breathable paint, followed by a second this morning. 

It's not an exact match of course, but I can live with that.  The dark patch at the bottom is where the paint is drying more slowly thanks to the moisture in the wall that kicked the whole thing off to begin with. 

Then I re-grouted the washstand splashback.

Which I think was a worthwhile exercise. 

With the bathroom, I think I'm going to try and break out what's left of the tiling (and possibly more of the plywood) and just leave the bits that are physically stuck under the toilet, bathtub and sink. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

James Harrison

It might not look like much, but progress is being made, with the painting. 

Over the last week the shorter wall has had three coats of cream paint and is about at the density of colour/ lack of streaks that I generally aim for.  The longer wall to the side has had two coats and still has some way to go. 

Then the green wall across the back needs painting, probably the three coats treatment again.  Once that is done I will, most likely, carry the colour on around the other two walls (even though those will mostly be tiled) and then we'll be back to the 'buy bits, store them and await the aligning of heavenly bodies' phase of things.   

James Harrison

Some more progress achieved. 
Painting continues its merry way around the room (I hate painting, I really do).
A few more bits have been struck off the to-buy list, leaving really just the bathtub and the toilet to get hold of (probably going to hold off ordering these until a week or so before they're actually needed).

Some of the flooring has arrived.  I'm not best pleased, because I ordered all of it.  So where the missing third of it is, is a mystery.  There are two major DIY chains in the UK - I'm not going to give them the dignity of free advertising, but I'm sure pretty much all of our UK members are aware of them - and both of them have let me down in the last twelve months, in the same manner.  If you see something you need from them and you can actually pick it up in person in one of their stores, you're probably OK but if it's something described as 'delivery only' then run a mile in the other direction, frankly. 

I beg to differ with the notions that 'you can do it if you ----- it' or that the other chain will 'cure your housebarrassment'. 

Sir Henry

Quote from: James Harrison on May 16, 2024, 05:54:28 PM[snip] but if it's something described as 'delivery only' then run a mile in the other direction, frankly. 
If it's described as 'delivery only' or 'from one of our partners' they tell you, at some point before the actual sale, who that is. If you then go to that company's website you can get it direct, usually cheaper, and with far, far better customer service. I've been doing this for about a year (since B&Q upped their prices by 30% almost across the board over a weekend) and haven't had any problems like that since.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

James Harrison

Quote from: Sir Henry on Yesterday at 07:29:39 AM
Quote from: James Harrison on May 16, 2024, 05:54:28 PM[snip] but if it's something described as 'delivery only' then run a mile in the other direction, frankly. 
If it's described as 'delivery only' or 'from one of our partners' they tell you, at some point before the actual sale, who that is. If you then go to that company's website you can get it direct, usually cheaper, and with far, far better customer service. I've been doing this for about a year (since B&Q upped their prices by 30% almost across the board over a weekend) and haven't had any problems like that since.

That's a good tip, if they tell you who the manufacturer / supplier is.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

SeVeNeVeS

I tend to go to a prpoer builders merchant rather than DIY stores now.

Better quality of timber and better delivery if needed.

DIY are good for certain things but only if I'm desperate and also depends on the project.

Can be slightly more expensive, but you get what you pay for as they say.

James Harrison

Well, the missing third of the delivery did turn up today (that still doesn't answer why it didn't arrive yesterday though)...

Lesson learnt; don't trust the big DIY chains. 

Looks like the next few weekends are going to be mostly spent either painting or staining wood, if I'm to get the room ready for the plumber and tiler to come in in early July. 

Cora Courcelle

My husband has been known to spend what seems like hours in the big DIY chains just looking for a piece of wood that doesn't resemble a banana!
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

James Harrison

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on Today at 02:33:47 PMMy husband has been known to spend what seems like hours in the big DIY chains just looking for a piece of wood that doesn't resemble a banana!

That, I suspect, is why buying packs of floorboards in-store isn't an option.  (You get to see what you're buying before money changes hands....)