News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....

Started by James Harrison, January 31, 2020, 08:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: James Harrison on April 13, 2024, 04:00:06 PMHmm, odd.  I could have sworn I updated earlier this week but the post appears to have disappeared. 

There have been "issues" in the last few days........

https://brassgoggles.net/forum/index.php/topic,54351.msg1020772.html#msg1020772

James Harrison

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on April 13, 2024, 04:12:28 PM
Quote from: James Harrison on April 13, 2024, 04:00:06 PMHmm, odd.  I could have sworn I updated earlier this week but the post appears to have disappeared. 

There have been "issues" in the last few days........

https://brassgoggles.net/forum/index.php/topic,54351.msg1020772.html#msg1020772

Not just me then going mad then!
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

von Corax

You did. We lost several days' posts to a catastrophic server hardware failure.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

James Harrison

Quote from: von Corax on April 13, 2024, 05:17:35 PM

You did. We lost several days' posts to a catastrophic server hardware failure.

That's a shame.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

James Harrison

Right, things have progressed beyond the theoretical / buying stuff stages...

It might not look much yet, but I've patched up two of the walls and smoothed those back, then I've stained the timberwork that I'm keeping.  The wooden door with the stained glass panels is definitely staying, I just didn't have enough stain to do it right now (also that door is going to have to come off its hinges so that stuff can be moved in and out of the room, and surely that is a better time to stain it). 

When that stain has dried out I'll be repainting the walls, and then after that I'll be breaking out at least some of the floor tiles so that we can get into the floor to plumb the washstand in. 

SeVeNeVeS

Do I spy a cheeky teaser of the new floor tiles in that 2nd photo?
Whats the plan for the gaping hole above the bioler cupboard door?

James Harrison

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on April 15, 2024, 05:59:35 AMDo I spy a cheeky teaser of the new floor tiles in that 2nd photo?
Whats the plan for the gaping hole above the bioler cupboard door?

Those are the tiles that I tried out a month or so ago and decided were too busy.

There's a wooden panel above the door that I've taken down for the moment. It will be going back up once I've finished staining and painting it.

James Harrison

Great, we're back!

Well, the new shower arrived eventually (after the local courier tried to return it to the international shipper, making me hit the roof at people until thd courier did their job...)

The wooden panel has been reinstated in the bathroom so I no longer have a hole over a door.

Roofer has been in touch and next weekend I'll be having a new roof over the bay window.

SeVeNeVeS

James Harrison

Ah!  I hadn't uploaded the pictures, had I?

It matches the washbasin and the first copper tap that I bought. 

Or it will, when it's been assembled. 

Other news; after all the mythering and thinking about it, I allowed my inner Clarkson to take to the floor.  Literally. 

Once some of the tiles came up I started finding gaps and screws in the floor. 

After a bit of a struggle a sheet of plywood came up. 

And below that....

I think I've got a chipboard floor in there, throughout. 
I'm going to take out as many of the tiles as I can (I need to leave some in place unless I want the current washbasin and the WC to fall over) and then when I've done that I'm going to paint the two walls, and then have my new basin plumbed in, the existing basin taken out, and the bathtub and WC at least taken down from the wall so that we can get the tiling done. 

SeVeNeVeS

Phew! the taps match, there was some doubts.

Just throwing another thought into the ring, if you haven't already decided on floor tiles you could continue the floorboards you replaced in the hallway and leave it as a wooden floor, alot of that chipboard will be destroyed when lifted.
The only slight issue could be a shortfall in the door height as in a gap at the bottoom.
Coming along and moving forward, great job so far.

Cora Courcelle

Does make you wonder what's lurking under the chipboard. (Portal to the Dungeon Dimensions maybe?)
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on April 22, 2024, 10:02:41 AMDoes make you wonder what's lurking under the chipboard. (Portal to the Dungeon Dimensions maybe?)

Some members who don't reply maybe? watch out James they have tracked you down........RUNAWAY!!!!!  ;D

James Harrison

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on April 22, 2024, 04:23:05 AMJust throwing another thought into the ring, if you haven't already decided on floor tiles you could continue the floorboards you replaced in the hallway and leave it as a wooden floor, alot of that chipboard will be destroyed when lifted.
The only slight issue could be a shortfall in the door height as in a gap at the bottoom.
Coming along and moving forward, great job so far.

That's an idea I do really like, but there would not only be an 18 - 20mm gap at the bottom of the door but also all around the room (the skirting boards being seated on top of the tiles).  Not an insurmountable difficulty but I know that skirting boards can be a right ... to put on (been there, done that in the sitting room.  And the dining room.  And the hallway.)  Also the airing cupboard was... you guessed it... built on top of the tiles, so I'd have a gap at the bottom of that too. 

I think unless I want to cause myself a lot more work, the only way really is to make sure that the new floor is at the same level as the existing. 

James Harrison

I think there's a way forward. Put 18mm ply packers on top of my floor joists, then put floorboards over those. 

The problem then becomes one of stopping the boards warping in  heat and/or humidity (I don't want a repeat of the hallway, where the new boards looked great until the central heating kicked in).

SeVeNeVeS

I must admit the qaulity of timber these days is shocking, alot b&q stuff warps in the van before you get a chance to get it out.

Were the boards tongue and groove and did you nail/screw them?

The Bullet

Quality of timber gets lower and lower, but the prices continue to climb.
For my last project I had to sand down every surface of the beams.
They were classified as "smooth" by the way.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

Sir Henry

Quote from: James Harrison on April 23, 2024, 06:15:32 AMI think there's a way forward. Put 18mm ply packers on top of my floor joists, then put floorboards over those. 

The problem then becomes one of stopping the boards warping in  heat and/or humidity (I don't want a repeat of the hallway, where the new boards looked great until the central heating kicked in).
If, instead of ply, you use a composite like chipboard then there isn't the issue of warping. You would need to seal them to prevent any swelling from water getting to them but that shouldn't be too onerous.
You can get 'moisture-resistant' boards such as these: https://www.loftzone.co.uk/shop-loft-boards/supreme-moisture-resistant-loft-boards/. I got some 'slightly stained' ones from these people as they're going to have a layer on top and they were the same price as their basic boards.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

James Harrison

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on April 23, 2024, 07:44:48 AMI must admit the qaulity of timber these days is shocking, alot b&q stuff warps in the van before you get a chance to get it out.

Were the boards tongue and groove and did you nail/screw them?

Tongue and groove, and initially the one that warped wasn't screwed down (because it was over pipes and I had a bee in my bonnet about access in an emergency).

Quote from: Sir Henry on April 23, 2024, 09:46:34 AM
Quote from: James Harrison on April 23, 2024, 06:15:32 AMI think there's a way forward. Put 18mm ply packers on top of my floor joists, then put floorboards over those. 

If, instead of ply, you use a composite like chipboard then there isn't the issue of warping. You would need to seal them to prevent any swelling from water getting to them but that shouldn't be too onerous.
You can get 'moisture-resistant' boards such as these: https://www.loftzone.co.uk/shop-loft-boards/supreme-moisture-resistant-loft-boards/. I got some 'slightly stained' ones from these people as they're going to have a layer on top and they were the same price as their basic boards.

Good idea, I'll have a look into this.

James Harrison

Quote from: James Harrison on December 03, 2023, 03:29:34 PMAnd onto the 2024 programme. 

The first thing on the list is to finish off the window renewal programme.  There are two windows still to be replaced - in the back bedroom, and the bathroom.

Ah, yes, the bathroom.  I really, really don't like the existing bathroom suite, or bathroom layout.  It's perfectly serviceable, but it's really not compatible with the rest of the house.  The problem is that bathroom suites weren't really a thing in the Edwardian era.  And the Victorian/ Edwardian 'style' ones available just strike me as variously still too modern, too twee, or just plain unconvincing. 

This obviously is a part of the project that is not DIY-friendly.  I don't have a timeframe for when this bit will get underway. 

I'm also going to have to have part of the sitting room replastered. (Wasn't neededThe radiator has started to pull away from the wall, and whilst I've shored it up with some pieces of wood, clearly that's not a long term solution.  No, what is needed is for the radiator to be taken down and the crushed and crumbling plaster behind to be replaced.  Perhaps that's a Summer job. Fixed without ripping the whole thing down and out.

Then I want the flashing around the chimneys to be renewed, and I also want flashing to be installed around the bay window roof

Well, the bay window turned out needing a bit more than just some lead flashing.

The concrete/ cement joint detail around all of the roof edges - where it met the wall, where the roof hips met, under the bedroom window - all of that proved to be completely life expired.  To the point in some places it had fallen away completely and the wonder wasn't that it was leaking, but that it wasn't leaking worse.

I wanted to keep the original tiles but lost that argument, for the sake of longevity that was probably for the best. 

So this morning two guys turned up and I think we were all expecting it would be the work of a few hours to take the old tiles down and put the new battens/ tiles/ flashing on.  Good joke, it was an all-day event with a lot of hammering, cussing and talk of 'I don't know how we're to get this bit in'.  Nothing was square.  Nothing was symmetrical.  One side of the roof had a completely different geometry to the other.  It took about eight hours to finish the thing. 

That's how it was.

Much better.

Sorontar

Now you have me interested in your neighbour's place across the road (not sure why I didn't notice it before). That seems to be fake Tudor above and Art Deco-ish below. How would you describe it?

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

James Harrison

It's Edwardian / immediate pre-WWI.  Pretty standard British Stockbroker's Tudor / Arts and Crafts style really.

Sir Henry

I've always loved the shape of the doorways like your neighbour's. Not very practical, but distinctive and eye-catching.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.