News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Whatever Happened to Gogglemas?

Started by the Hat, February 20, 2020, 05:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Hat

Tis a bit egocentric to ask, but I am a tad curious whatever became of the glorious holiday I helped found?

Granted, I understand that it has been 12 years, and I am sure the community is as much changed as the world surrounding it is. But you know what they say about curiosity and cats.  ;)

Yours Sincerely,

The Hat
[color=black]"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz[/color]

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: the Hat on February 20, 2020, 05:17:15 AM
Tis a bit egocentric to ask, but I am a tad curious whatever became of the glorious holiday I helped found?

Granted, I understand that it has been 12 years, and I am sure the community is as much changed as the world surrounding it is. But you know what they say about curiosity and cats.  ;)

Yours Sincerely,

The Hat

Welcome back Mr. Hat. 12 years? Well, since I came in around 2009, I think I missed the first Gogglemas. I must confess that I never paid much attention to it, but we have people here dating back to the period, and, speaking of cats, like Schrodinger's Cat, Gogglemas is probably both dead and alive until you open the box to see. Shall we collapse the wave function? Let's see what other members have to say..

Banfili

Quote from: the Hat on February 20, 2020, 05:17:15 AM

Yours Sincerely,

The Hat

I, too, have missed that glorious day, coming in a little after J.Wilhelm.How does one celebrate Gogglemas, and when does one celebrate this special day?

the Hat

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on February 20, 2020, 07:19:00 AM
Welcome back Mr. Hat. 12 years? Well, since I came in around 2009, I think I missed the first Gogglemas. I must confess that I never paid much attention to it, but we have people here dating back to the period, and, speaking of cats, like Schrodinger's Cat, Gogglemas is probably both dead and alive until you open the box to see. Shall we collapse the wave function? Let's see what other members have to say..

Quite right! Perhaps we can dust off the discarded and disheveled suit that is/was Gogglemas and gussy it up for a new generation of air pirates!

In response to Banfili: Gogglemas was celebrated on the final day of February (so we only have a week to prepare!), and on leap years you celebrate for a whooping TWO ENTIRE days! (This year would be one such glorious occasion.) I know for certain that Gogglemas was celebrated both in 2007 and 2008 when this board was still in its infancy. What happened after that, I cannot say.

All that being said, it appears that Gogglemas has somehow been replaced with 'Air Kraken Day,' which is celebrated on March 17th. It seems that Air Kraken Day has all the same trappings that Gogglemas did (obligatory carols sung to the elusive beast of the skies, shiny cogs exchanged with dear friends and shipmates), but I am unsure how the the holidays evolved over the last decade.

It is a story I would love to hear if anyone is familiar with the tale!  ;)

Sincerely,

The Hat
[color=black]"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz[/color]

Miranda.T

I too joined the party rather too late to have experienced Gogglemass first time around - but I'm keen to hear more of its celebrations.

Yours,
Miranda.

madamemarigold

Oh I vae missed Googlemas day! But I am now in time for Air Kraken Day! Need to research to find out all the fun and glorious trapping to be had on the excellent holiday~ hmmm , maybe make "Kraken cakes?" or... or.. does anyone celibrate it still? Or remember the festivities that are celebrated during this party time frame? I'm aflutter! Time for one of my first spring celebrations.....

looking for proper leather thickness to make new Kraken muzzle... mayhaps will catch a wild one me thinks! Wish me luck...  :D

madamemarigold

Oh I had meant to reply sooner but I did celibrate Air Kraken day! Some small home made cakes and some lemonade, then a little bit later went outside after hearing something (just sounded odd!) and found a baby kraken! Evidently there was lay over and "Baby" got lost in the melee and left behind as they continued on~

I am not sure if "Baby' is boy or girl yet, and seems to be not quite old enough to produce and ink yet, so have been giving bits of "Ham" till I can get to town this coming week and stop at a pet store and try to find some better food and other neccessaries. I will post a picture this coming week, I am not sure if I can get a better ? Container? Or...? for Baby but, will know more after Monday~

Cant wait to show others that might be able to tell me more (Hopefully) about this little one..... quick curtsy, running off to prepare another feeding.

madamemarigold

I just noticed that I had totally missed "Air Kraken Day"!I had so looked forward to the yearly migration of these massive, beautiful big winged giants and so hoped to find another baby once again. I could weep for my forgetting this wonderful celebration~

Did anyone else remember and celebrate this yearly phenonium? I so hope so. Don't mind me off to drown my sorrow in a deep cup of Earl Grey with some addition "Spice" added to it.

"Waves sodden handkerchief" as she swirls away to the kettle grabbing a ginger cookie as she went."

von Corax

I say! Perhaps someone could create Wiki pages for Air Kraken Day and Gogglemas?
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

CrazedFandango

Yes, so us newbies can understand what you're talking about. ???  ???  ???