News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The COVID Ridiculousness Thread

Started by J. Wilhelm, March 27, 2020, 05:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Synistor 303

Quote from: Sorontar on April 24, 2020, 01:35:47 PM
A politician suggested that injecting disinfectant into people might be a solution against COVID-19.

Yep, the COVID-19 won't kill you because the injection might (according to the Australian Chief Medical Officer when asked about this). Nice to know who is the expert in these areas.

I'm sure if you followed those 'instructions', you would never be worried by Covid 19 again...

Rockula

A politician suggested that injecting disinfectant into people might be a solution against COVID-19.

That politician just tested positive for IQ 19.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

SeVeNeVeS

That politician is a complete twonk, oh, hang on It's Trump, no surprise there then.

I'm praying he suggests Mercury could cure the plague, ancient physicians and apothecaries were indeed correct.

I just happen to have a litre bottle full of the stuff at home, sat in a cupboard.............. Cha Ching! ::)

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Rockula on April 25, 2020, 12:01:21 PM

That politician just tested positive for IQ 19.

Sir, you win the Internet Award of the year!

von Corax

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: von Corax on May 04, 2020, 10:18:44 PM
Sûreté du Québec investigating after two cell phone towers catch fire in Laurentians

The article is a bit vague. The cell phone towers were set on fire because...? Or is that related to the video on the same page where people believe that 5G causes COVID?

Darkhound

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on May 05, 2020, 04:41:38 PM

The article is a bit vague. The cell phone towers were set on fire because...? Or is that related to the video on the same page where people believe that 5G causes COVID?

Exactly so, Mr. Wilhelm. This isn't the only time this has happened, either. Scared, stupid people have been doing this in various places, frequently where there is no excuse for a third grader falling for this quack.
"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Darkhound on May 05, 2020, 08:50:58 PM

Exactly so, Mr. Wilhelm. This isn't the only time this has happened, either. Scared, stupid people have been doing this in various places, frequently where there is no excuse for a third grader falling for this quack.

Today, I'm very depressed about this. I have a mix of a Gah! and WRF! complaint related to Covid-iocy. I just came back from work and I had a terrible day, but I kind of want people to read what kind of things, we who are essential have to endure. If what I write in the Covid-19 thread in a few minutes makes anyopne be ashamed or think twice, then it would be a productive thing.

Banfili

Same here - two towers set on fire, and one very strange person at a friends COPD clinic saying the the 5G & 5G phones are a government plot to give everyone the virus. The fact that 5G phones have been available for a little while is, apparently, irrelevant!

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Banfili on May 06, 2020, 02:05:30 AM

Same here - two towers set on fire, and one very strange person at a friends COPD clinic saying the the 5G & 5G phones are a government plot to give everyone the virus. The fact that 5G phones have been available for a little while is, apparently, irrelevant!

I'm surprised I haven't heard of an extraterrestrial conspiracy yet. Haven't people read /watched "The Andromeda Strain"?  The virus could be an extraterrestrial plot to take over the world, you know?

Mercury Wells

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on May 06, 2020, 04:57:48 AM
Quote from: Banfili on May 06, 2020, 02:05:30 AM

I'm surprised I haven't heard of an extraterrestrial conspiracy yet. Haven't people read /watched "The Andromeda Strain"?  The virus could be an extraterrestrial plot to take over the world, you know?

"UUUUUULLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"   ;D
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Banfili

One of the morons who did a bulk buy - 1400, yes, 1400 - large quantity packs of toilet paper, from different supermarkets, has been trying to get refunds for his purchases from said supermarkets - they laughed in his face!
The man is threatening to sue!

von Corax

Quote from: Banfili on May 06, 2020, 11:03:14 PM
Does Australia recognize the tort of Vexatious Litigation? He might just end up on the hook for even more than he's already spent!
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Banfili

Quote from: von Corax on May 07, 2020, 12:05:52 AM
Quote from: Banfili on May 06, 2020, 11:03:14 PM
Does Australia recognize the tort of Vexatious Litigation? He might just end up on the hook for even more than he's already spent!

Yes, there are Vexatious Litigation Acts for each state and territory. I don't think it will get anywhere near a court!
All that has happened so far is that the idiot has been laughed out of every establishment where he has tried it on.

Sorontar

I think you understated the problem. This article says 5400 rolls. I believe he and his friends were intending to resell the tp on ebay etc for a profit but were stopped, hence the sudden change of heart.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-stockpiling-adelaide-man-hoards-5400-toilet-paper-rolls/news-story/d71e60c4c0a32a134c19667aa071ca82

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Sorontar on May 07, 2020, 01:29:01 PM
I think you understated the problem. This article says 5400 rolls. I believe he and his friends were intending to resell the tp on ebay etc for a profit but were stopped, hence the sudden change of heart.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-stockpiling-adelaide-man-hoards-5400-toilet-paper-rolls/news-story/d71e60c4c0a32a134c19667aa071ca82

A similar situation in the East coast of the US led to confiscation of hand sanitizer and wipes (I don't remember if these were City, County or State authorities). They did not let the person hold the items.

Deimos

Another term for it is profiteering.
It's called "price-gouging" in the States, and it may be deemed illegal during times of an officially declared national emergency. Its illegality is declared/enacted on a state-by-state basis; i.e either the governor of a state has to issue an an executive order, or a state already has laws in place that address it in defined situations.
To my knowledge laws/orders against price gouging have always been enacted in every state during national emergencies.

Now, whether or not merchants and/or individuals pay any attention to the law is an entirely different matter.
As some wag once said about flouting laws, "It's illegal only if you get caught. "  :P
"Unless you're prepared to surrender everything, don't surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

Banfili

Quote from: Sorontar on May 07, 2020, 01:29:01 PM

Either way, total idiots!

rovingjack

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Prof Marvel

Quote from: Deimos on May 07, 2020, 02:58:14 PM
It's called "price-gouging" in the States, ......

As some wag once said about flouting laws, "It's illegal only if you get caught. "  :P

But then come the neighborhood festivities! The Tarring and Feathering, etc etc...

prf mumbles
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

Deimos

Quote from: Prof Marvel on May 08, 2020, 05:27:43 AM

But then come the neighborhood festivities! The Tarring and Feathering, etc etc...

prf mumbles

And the Stocks.... can't forget those....
T&F is followed by Being Ridden Out of Town on a Rail, and all that is over pretty quickly.
But the Stocks, oh my, that is entertainment that can go on for days.....  ;)

Mercury Wells

Quote from: Deimos on May 08, 2020, 06:20:19 AM

prf mumbles

T&F is followed by Being Ridden Out of Town on a Rail, and all that is over pretty quickly.

Ending with the Gibbet.
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Deimos

Quote from: Mercury Wells on May 08, 2020, 02:15:02 PM

prf mumbles

Ending with the Gibbet.

Alas, that will truly be the end.  :(
Must then start beating the bushes to flush out another miscreant or two. 

Banfili

Quote from: Deimos on May 08, 2020, 03:13:16 PM
Quote from: Mercury Wells on May 08, 2020, 02:15:02 PM

prf mumbles

Ending with the Gibbet.

Alas, that will truly be the end.  :(
Must then start beating the bushes to flush out another miscreant or two. 

Actually, the public shaming of the stocks might do some of these idiots a bit of good - bring back the stocks!