News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

New admin needed

Started by proteus, August 10, 2020, 05:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Corax

I just heard back from proteus, and he has done nothing to steer me away from this course of action. I must now retire, meditate, and settle my nerves. Back soon.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

yereverluvinunclebert

Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute

von Corax

On November 1, after realizing I had not yet done so, I messaged proteus to inform him that I am willing to take on the job.

yereverluvinunclebert

Very Good. Let's hope something positive happens next.
Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: von Corax on November 10, 2020, 12:22:06 PM
On November 1, after realizing I had not yet done so, I messaged proteus to inform him that I am willing to take on the job.
Now that is some great news! Best of luck, hope it goes smoothly.

And thanks for stepping in as Head Honcho, good sir!

James Harrison

Hail the new admin!
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

von Corax

Quote from: James Harrison on November 23, 2020, 01:57:36 PM

Hail the new admin!
Not yet the new admin - proteus hasn't turned over the keys yet.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: James Harrison on November 23, 2020, 01:57:36 PM

Hail the new admin!

Men in Black II - All Hail Jay Scene (6/10) | Movieclips

SeVeNeVeS

I really hate to ask, but any updates on this? The end of the year is approaching rapidly, plus I'm a nosy curtain twitcher type of person  ;D

Is the forum safe and behind the scenes Admin transfer going ahead as planned?

Thanks for keeping us informed.

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on December 15, 2020, 07:37:22 AM
I really hate to ask, but any updates on this? The end of the year is approaching rapidly, plus I'm a nosy curtain twitcher type of person  ;D

Is the forum safe and behind the scenes Admin transfer going ahead as planned?

Thanks for keeping us informed.

von Corax

Still waiting to hear back from proteus.

SeVeNeVeS

Same ol' story then.  ::) OK, Many thanks for the update good sir.

Ottens

In case there is a disruption, may I also offer my own message-board community, the Never Was Lounge?

It's a relaunch of the Smoking Lounge, which was created in 2008.
NEVER WAS MAGAZINE: Steampunk, dieselpunk, retro-futurism and alternate history.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Ottens on December 21, 2020, 05:53:22 PM
In case there is a disruption, may I also offer my own message-board community, the Never Was Lounge?

It's a relaunch of the Smoking Lounge, which was created in 2008.

Thank you. That's very generous of you. But supposing some from BG go there for a visit. I've read a couple of not so nice comments on Steampunk and Steampunk followers there...How would that go?

Ottens

I can't speak for everyone, but the members I know and myself have been steampunk fans for 10+ years. We love the style. We love this movement. It's why we've volunteered so much time through the years to blogs, online magazines, printable publications, forums and social media.

That doesn't mean we can't be (self-)critical.

What has differentiated the Smoking, now Never Was, Lounge from the start is that we do allow political discussions.

There are many views on what steampunk is and what it should be. Never Was Magazine and Never Was Lounge are platforms to have those discussions.
NEVER WAS MAGAZINE: Steampunk, dieselpunk, retro-futurism and alternate history.

J. Wilhelm

Politics have their place, just not in this forum. And what I read at Neverwas Magazine in April / June of 2019 and July of this year was pegging the whole of Steampunk in a very narrow political category.

However, all things being equal, I do enjoy your Atlantic Sentinel. It's right on point, because rebuilding transatlantic ties is exactly what we desperately need to do in the global stage right now. There are a lot of bad actors globally who'd rather see us apart. And I will shut up now before I get myself and others in trouble.

J. Wilhelm

I also think that I should probably start compiling certain resources like the Steampunk Brands list. I don't know if we should follow Prof Marvel's suggestion of using that internet archive to save the contents of brassgoggles.co.uk. I've never used it, and sadly the professor is taking a sabbatical precisely because of those types of political discussions. Maybe I can contact him directly.

Ottens

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on December 22, 2020, 03:40:45 AM
Politics have their place, just not in this forum.

Exactly! So that's a difference members should be aware of if they're considering joining.

I don't want to hijack this thread with a substantive debate about the politics of steampunk, but always happy to have that discussion elsewhere. (And thank you for the kind words about the Atlantic Sentinel!)

I'm also happy to host archives or resources at Never Was. We already host the archive of Kevin Steele's Steampunk Books website. Feel free to reach out at nick.ottens@neverwasmag.com.

E.J.MonCrieff

Having discovered this Forum more or less by accident very recently, I'm still finding my way around.

It seems to me that the costs of running the site could be easily met by donations.  In the last month I have received an e-mail from Wikipedia asking for a small donation, and made one; and I made a donation when I downloaded a copy of LibreOffice.  I've made a donation to BrassGoggles before replying to this thread. 

I appreciate that a great deal of excellent work has been done by volunteers in the past.  It would be a shame if this were to be archived, or worse, lost completely.  I've already come across a couple of old posts where a link to images can no longer be followed. 

So, a vote for suggestion #2

P.S.  I did my first course on information retrieval in the year after I last saw a British Rail steam locomotive (in Preston Station). They were still using punch cards then (and payroll programs ran in 1K of memory....)

SeVeNeVeS

Any News on this subject? Don't tell me, still waiting on Proteus to pull out that finger. ::)

Just get on with it for @&^% sake would be my message to him, IF this is going to happen and von Corax is still up for the job, do it now and stop us members constantly wondering what is going to happen to our beloved forum.

That will do, before I go into rant mode........this has been dragging on for far too long........

Rockula

We need every Member to register at https://sparegoggles.forumotion.net/

We need an announcement to be pinned.

Anyone know if, or how, we can do that?
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Caledonian

Quote from: Rockula on February 26, 2021, 08:28:22 PM

I have tried to register for sparegoggles a few times already, but it simply won't let me, saying i need a moderator to approve
Passion is like a Peatfire

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: Caledonian on June 06, 2021, 12:01:16 AM
Quote from: Rockula on February 26, 2021, 08:28:22 PM

I have tried to register for sparegoggles a few times already, but it simply won't let me, saying i need a moderator to approve

You will have to use a different username and e-mail than any used on previous attempts.

That should able you to register now.

SeVeNeVeS

As proteus logged in on July 06, 2021, I have to ask, is anything happening where the forum is concerned, or are we still in limbo?

Sorry for the continuous badgering.

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on July 25, 2021, 04:26:35 AM
As proteus logged in on July 06, 2021, I have to ask, is anything happening where the forum is concerned, or are we still in limbo?

Sorry for the continuous badgering.

The lack of response tells me NO then.  ::)