News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Aerial Kraken Defense Thread:

Started by c96plusMauserpuppy, January 14, 2021, 09:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mercury Wells

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on January 23, 2021, 12:31:35 PM
Hmmmm, that's a tricky one.  Pernese for the intelligence, adaptability and beauty,  Mordorian for the terror-inducing ruthlessness.
Perhaps some sort of hybrid?
(Definitely with no oriental traits or they would just want to drink tea and discuss the finer points of kraken symbology in ancient art).

So it's either a Mornese or a Perdorian then?
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

J. Wilhelm

Not to mention that Mandarin dragons will only attack from one direction. You know? Feng Shui, and all that jazz?

E.J.MonCrieff

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on January 23, 2021, 12:31:35 PM
Hmmmm, that's a tricky one.  Pernese for the intelligence, adaptability and beauty,  Mordorian for the terror-inducing ruthlessness.
Perhaps some sort of hybrid?
(Definitely with no oriental traits or they would just want to drink tea and discuss the finer points of kraken symbology in ancient art).

You might be able to restrain the hybrid dragon's propensity to drink tea if you offered it only milk, not a choice of milk or lemon.

c96plusMauserpuppy

As German 88mm  Flak Cannon didn't exist until about  1930-ish, it's not Steampunk. So rules out heavy flak as a defense, too.  Perhaps a tank or crawling mech with twin 37mm P0m-Poms? 

von Corax

Quote from: c96plusMauserpuppy on January 24, 2021, 10:20:17 PM
As German 88mm  Flak Cannon didn't exist until about  1930-ish, it's not Steampunk. So rules out heavy flak as a defense, too.  Perhaps a tank or crawling mech with twin 37mm P0m-Poms? 
The Congreve rocket and the Shrapnel shell both date to around 1804 (adoption), and both were used by Sir Arthur Wellesley in the very first World War. Add in a small steam-powered mechanical brain and I'm sure we could come up with something.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

E.J.MonCrieff

Quote from: von Corax on January 25, 2021, 01:58:59 AM
Quote from: c96plusMauserpuppy on January 24, 2021, 10:20:17 PM
The Congreve rocket and the Shrapnel shell both date to around 1804 (adoption), and both were used by Sir Arthur Wellesley in the very first World War. Add in a small steam-powered mechanical brain and I'm sure we could come up with something.

Shrapnel shells fired from howitzers or mortars should prove quite effective, especially if they were fused to explode at maximum altitude

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on January 24, 2021, 05:38:53 AM
Not to mention that Mandarin dragons will only attack from one direction. You know? Feng Shui, and all that jazz?

They do that because it's too easy for them to become Confucius

Synistor 303

Quote from: Hurricane Annie on March 06, 2021, 01:56:51 PM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on January 24, 2021, 05:38:53 AM

They do that because it's too easy for them to become Confucius

So bad it's good...

Hurricane Annie

Beware of the purple ones. They are people eaters 

Mercury Wells

Quote from: Hurricane Annie on March 19, 2021, 08:41:08 AM

You don't mean the one-eyed, one-horned, flying, purple people eater?  :o
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: Mercury Wells on March 19, 2021, 12:17:33 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Annie on March 19, 2021, 08:41:08 AM

You don't mean the one-eyed, one-horned, flying, purple people eater?  :o

That particular creature is not a decorous discussion topic for this forum. You rouge.

{On seeing those lyrics as an adult, the tune takes an entire different turn

von Corax

Hurricane Annie

LordWorthing

This is exactly why I founded the Dragon Research Investigators Vibrant Ecosystem League, known as D.R.I.V.E.L.

We propose:
1) That experiments can be done to determine if heifers are acceptable to dragons in place of human, er, "inexperienced persons."
2) To attempt to hand rear dragons releasing them into kraken infested areas at their optimum egg eating age.
3) To respectfully and repeatedly request that Her Majesty remove that scoundrel George from his position as patron saint of England based on his deliberate attempt to render a noble species extinct.

A Laudable goal, Miss Primrose C Leigh (Hez). I wish to make the following recommendations for the future of the Dragon Research Investigators Vibrant Ecosystem League.

1) Form a club to help advance knowledge and support for the league's goals in regular society, creating lobbying groups to place the facts of the matter before, the Cabinet, the House of Commons and House of Lords.
2) Amalgamate the League with the Special Hospital for Examination, Experimentation and Research, known as S.H.E.E.R. to place at D.R.I.V.E.L.'s disposal scientificly trained minds, equipment and research facilities to build up a repository of knowledge and practical instruction on dragons and their natural prey Aerial Krakens.

I will point out, that while the first and second of your proposals will likely be accepted by the public and government in due course, the third will likely run into strongest opposition from the House of Lords, the Crown and the College of Heraldry.
An Age of Steam, Steel and Iron

It is the year 1889 A.D., an age of enlightened discovery, of unrivaled and often fantastic scientific and technological progress: powered by coal, steam and electricity. It is also an age of empires and empire building, of fierce and often complex competition for wealth and material resources by both governments, corporations and private individuals. The Nations of Europe, the Americas, Africa and Asia vie for power, prestige and prosperity on the world stage and across the solar system.

E.J.MonCrieff

Quote from: LordWorthing on June 29, 2021, 09:44:52 PM
This is exactly why I founded the Dragon Research Investigators Vibrant Ecosystem League, known as D.R.I.V.E.L.

We propose:
1) That experiments can be done to determine if heifers are acceptable to dragons in place of human, er, "inexperienced persons."
2) To attempt to hand rear dragons releasing them into kraken infested areas at their optimum egg eating age.
3) To respectfully and repeatedly request that Her Majesty remove that scoundrel George from his position as patron saint of England based on his deliberate attempt to render a noble species extinct.

A Laudable goal, Miss Primrose C Leigh (Hez). I wish to make the following recommendations for the future of the Dragon Research Investigators Vibrant Ecosystem League.

1) Form a club to help advance knowledge and support for the league's goals in regular society, creating lobbying groups to place the facts of the matter before, the Cabinet, the House of Commons and House of Lords.
2) Amalgamate the League with the Special Hospital for Examination, Experimentation and Research, known as S.H.E.E.R. to place at D.R.I.V.E.L.'s disposal scientificly trained minds, equipment and research facilities to build up a repository of knowledge and practical instruction on dragons and their natural prey Aerial Krakens.

I will point out, that while the first and second of your proposals will likely be accepted by the public and government in due course, the third will likely run into strongest opposition from the House of Lords, the Crown and the College of Heraldry.

Can I point out that Wales has a long tradition of Dragons?

Banfili

Recently I received a green fire lizard from a friend - she has settled in nicely, and has taken up residence on a pile of books in my living room!

Deimos

Quote from: Banfili on July 02, 2021, 12:37:15 AM
Recently I received a green fire lizard from a friend - she has settled in nicely, and has taken up residence on a pile of books in my living room!

Well, is she camera shy? ;) Where are some pics?
"Unless you're prepared to surrender everything, don't surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

Mercury Wells

Quote from: E.J.MonCrieff on July 01, 2021, 10:22:22 PM
Quote from: LordWorthing on June 29, 2021, 09:44:52 PM

We propose:

Can I point out that Wales has a long tradition of Dragons?

Dinas Emrys.

von Corax

Most of my books would be frightened by that prospect - a few of them would be downright hostile to it!

Banfili

Quote from: von Corax on July 02, 2021, 07:15:01 AM
Most of my books would be frightened by that prospect - a few of them would be downright hostile to it!

No firestone, so my books are safe!

von Corax

Quote from: Banfili on July 02, 2021, 11:09:01 AM

A Pernese lizard, then. Nice. (My books won't even let me read Fahrenheit 451.)

Banfili

Quote from: von Corax on July 03, 2021, 12:24:29 PM
Quote from: Banfili on July 02, 2021, 11:09:01 AM

A Pernese lizard, then. Nice. (My books won't even let me read Fahrenheit 451.)
My books won't even let me bring a copy of "that book" into the house!