News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Aethernet parralell web.

Started by ProfDelphiniusTucker, March 11, 2007, 12:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfDelphiniusTucker

I know it's crazy, but I have quite the suggestion.
For all the computer geeks, more so than I, that I know are here, who thinks we should create a Aetherweb parallell network. Basically, if anyone remembers, it's like the connection between individual computers, kind of like the old commodore network. for another definition: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1145224

who thinks we can/should?

I'm all for it.
Professor Delphinius S. Tucker
Professor of Technological Masteries, Religion, and History.

ProfDelphiniusTucker

Or at the very least, we could make a private Aetherweb and we could simply make a confusing front end and  make it hard to get to the log in, and then finally, you have to have an account. But it's just a thought.

http://www.hell.com springs to mind.

Anachronist

My reply:

IPv6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

Eventually it will become crowded and IPv4 will be the spooky parallel web, but for now it's just linux geeks and the quasi-legal. Check it out!

Regards,
Alexander
The first sign of the beginning of understanding is a wish to die.

ProfDelphiniusTucker

hey, watch the linux geek comment :-p. among my boxes one of them runs debian, or zenwalk, depending on which I boot. and IPv4 is going to be alive for quite some time I believe.

or we could all have special pages on websites on a different port or something and just make an Aether browser that automatically looks on that port. but that could be more complicated.

arcane

Quote from: ProfDelphiniusTucker on March 11, 2007, 03:03:57 AMand IPv4 is going to be alive for quite some time I believe.

Absolutely. The shortage of IPv4 addresses has been greatly exaggerated.

ProfDelphiniusTucker

I thought it had been. So we need to find another IPV_ to use.  apparently the Chinese are developing IPV9 but, it's not worth the effort. I think the best way to do it would probably be the port changing and a special browser.

Anachronist

Quote from: ProfDelphiniusTucker on March 11, 2007, 03:03:57 AM
hey, watch the linux geek comment :-p. among my boxes one of them runs debian, or zenwalk, depending on which I boot. and IPv4 is going to be alive for quite some time I believe.

or we could all have special pages on websites on a different port or something and just make an Aether browser that automatically looks on that port. but that could be more complicated.

Geek is a compliment in the circles I run in. I run Debian exclusively - I haven't owned anything Microsoft related in years.

I like the idea of a parallel web, but I don't think steampunk can generate enough content to support one and keep it active. However, I don't see any reason not to do it. We just can't be so afraid of the DIY ethic punk elitists that we don't allow anything else on it.

We should do it. I vote Aethernet!

Regards,
Alexander
The first sign of the beginning of understanding is a wish to die.

arcane

There was a pretty interesting project a few years ago that was being run by some of the guys from the L0pht, which was essentially an alternate internet where all communication was done via packet radio. Sadly, I think the project is defunct now.

ProfDelphiniusTucker

If anyone is willing to help me, I'm not quite good enough to do something this large scale. BULLY! Let's do an Aethernet

Modification:
I think we could also make a tunnel network. But I know nothing about making those from the outside, I'm only good at local administration.

emerson

I'm not sure what help I can be, but I am working on my B.S. in Comp Sci (and a B.A. in Graphic Design, but thats just for a fun time ;)).  We could even start simple with some sort of encrypted html that our special browsed can decrypt/read.

*shrugs* I'm in.

Datamancer

Quote from: ProfDelphiniusTucker on March 11, 2007, 12:30:18 AM
I know it's crazy, but I have quite the suggestion.
For all the computer geeks, more so than I, that I know are here, who thinks we should create a Aetherweb parallell network. Basically, if anyone remembers, it's like the connection between individual computers, kind of like the old commodore network. for another definition: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1145224

who thinks we can/should?

I'm all for it.

So it's kinda like the internet, but not as good....and it's like Hell.

Are you talking about AOL?
"I'm not a paranoid deranged millionaire. Goddamit, I'm a billionaire." - Howard Hughes

Datamancer

Quote from: arcane on March 11, 2007, 03:25:24 AM
There was a pretty interesting project a few years ago that was being run by some of the guys from the L0pht, which was essentially an alternate internet where all communication was done via packet radio. Sadly, I think the project is defunct now.

ooooh yeah i remember L0pht. L0phtcrack and all that. I was actually hanging out with Kingpin at H2K one year. What ever happened to them, anyway?
"I'm not a paranoid deranged millionaire. Goddamit, I'm a billionaire." - Howard Hughes

ProfDelphiniusTucker

Quote from: emerson on March 11, 2007, 05:52:05 AM
I'm not sure what help I can be, but I am working on my B.S. in Comp Sci (and a B.A. in Graphic Design, but thats just for a fun time ;)).  We could even start simple with some sort of encrypted html that our special browsed can decrypt/read.

*shrugs* I'm in.

That'd work, kinda of like encrypt the HTML encrypt it with a simple protocol, rot-13 or something along those lines, maybe a little more complex, and have a program that not only decrypts the code, but then reads the HTML. It'd be easier then trying to rewrite HTML.

arcane

Quote from: Datamancer on March 11, 2007, 06:48:38 AM

ooooh yeah i remember L0pht. L0phtcrack and all that. I was actually hanging out with Kingpin at H2K one year. What ever happened to them, anyway?

L0pht went corporate and merged with a company called @Stake. Eventually all the L0pht guys were either quit or got fired from the company and they got bought by Symantec. I think most of them are independany security consultants now, but Symantec owns the L0pht name and intellectual property.

Lasairfion

Sounds an interesting concept. I don't know if anyone would know how to create such a thing and in what form it would take. Or what purpose it would serve.

ProfDelphiniusTucker

Well, I know they exist, I'm just not familiar with the inner workings of one.

Datamancer

Quote from: arcane on March 11, 2007, 02:54:06 PM
Quote from: Datamancer on March 11, 2007, 06:48:38 AM

L0pht went corporate and merged with a company called @Stake. Eventually all the L0pht guys were either quit or got fired from the company and they got bought by Symantec. I think most of them are independany security consultants now, but Symantec owns the L0pht name and intellectual property.

oof that sucks. Such is usually the fate of cool haXor groups.
Sell out, get screwed, go whitehat