News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Its Winter! Alternative Emergency Heat Ideas

Started by Prof Marvel, November 27, 2021, 03:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof Marvel

here ya go.
50 watt portable fuel cell genset, runs for 3 days on the 1 qt lp canister.

i want two!

prf marbles
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

Prof Marvel

OMG

latest version: the "Honey Badger", 50watt portable fuelcell genset,

https://fuelcellsworks.com/news/u-s-department-of-defense-selects-advents-wearable-fuel-cell-for-2021-validation-program/

UltraCell 50 W Reformed Methanol Wearable Fuel Cell Power System.
The effort will drive efforts to complete the full MIL-STD and finalize integrated filtration for Cleaning Compound,
Windshield NSN 9850-00-926-2275 to allow the use of logistically sound materials as the primary fuel source.

"Advent's "Any Fuel. Anywhere." approach can solve our customers' most pressing challenges." "

It runs on Windshield Washer fluid!

yup - milspec 70% Methanol windshshield fluid...

I am trying to see if these are for sale anywhere....

prf marbles

Sir Henry

Quote from: Prof Marvel on January 28, 2022, 09:16:24 AM
OMG

https://fuelcellsworks.com/news/u-s-department-of-defense-selects-advents-wearable-fuel-cell-for-2021-validation-program/

UltraCell 50 W Reformed Methanol Wearable Fuel Cell Power System.
The effort will drive efforts to complete the full MIL-STD and finalize integrated filtration for Cleaning Compound,
Windshield NSN 9850-00-926-2275 to allow the use of logistically sound materials as the primary fuel source.

"Advent's "Any Fuel. Anywhere." approach can solve our customers' most pressing challenges." "

It runs on Windshield Washer fluid!

yup - milspec 70% Methanol windshshield fluid...

prf marbles

Ummm...

Has there been any more news about this since last April Fool's Day?
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Prof Marvel

My Good Sir Henry

lol ... altho it was posted on Apr 1...

it is actually a real thing. The US DOD has been using "portable" fuel cell gensets for some time
tyically 4-10 kw, typically costing ~ $20k USD.

They put out a mandate to replace batteries for "man carried electronic equipment"
since they had to carry way too many batteries for a simple 4 day mission.

One original 50watt genset was designed to run on an off-the-shelf 16 oz propane cylinder.
works pretty darn well! BUT it would mean a huge logistics issue.

Some of the brain trusts asked the great question: " what fuel can you use that we already have and deploy?"

The chemists said ... these things burn damn near anything, whatttayagot?

and the solution was : 70% methanol. as supplied in 55 gallon drums. as "windhsield washer anti-freeze, cleaning fluid"

Mil Spec Windshield NSN 9850-00-926-2275

as seen here

https://www.defenseadvancement.com/news/dod-contract-awarded-to-complete-wearable-fuel-cell-mil-std-certification/

Sooooo
I went looking for products to buy.

https://www.fuelcellstore.com/fuel-cell-stacks/5w-100w-fuel-cell-stacks

a bare bones 30w hydrogen fuel cell unit cost $1100 US
a 300 W generator, running on LP, costs about $3k USD  >:(

and I did finally find a 100W thermal pile for your wood stove but it goes for $720 !!!

https://www.tegmart.com/thermoelectric-generators/wood-stove-water-cooled-100w-teg

photovoltaics are much cheaper!

yhs
prof mumbles

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Prof Marvel on January 29, 2022, 10:14:29 AM
My Good Sir Henry

lol ... altho it was posted on Apr 1...

it is actually a real thing. The US DOD has been using "portable" fuel cell gensets for some time
tyically 4-10 kw, typically costing ~ $20k USD.

They put out a mandate to replace batteries for "man carried electronic equipment"
since they had to carry way too many batteries for a simple 4 day mission.

One original 50watt genset was designed to run on an off-the-shelf 16 oz propane cylinder.
works pretty darn well! BUT it would mean a huge logistics issue.

Some of the brain trusts asked the great question: " what fuel can you use that we already have and deploy?"

The chemists said ... these things burn damn near anything, whatttayagot?

and the solution was : 70% methanol. as supplied in 55 gallon drums. as "windhsield washer anti-freeze, cleaning fluid"

Mil Spec Windshield NSN 9850-00-926-2275

as seen here

https://www.defenseadvancement.com/news/dod-contract-awarded-to-complete-wearable-fuel-cell-mil-std-certification/

Sooooo
I went looking for products to buy.

https://www.fuelcellstore.com/fuel-cell-stacks/5w-100w-fuel-cell-stacks

a bare bones 30w hydrogen fuel cell unit cost $1100 US
a 300 W generator, running on LP, costs about $3k USD  >:(

and I did finally find a 100W thermal pile for your wood stove but it goes for $720 !!!

https://www.tegmart.com/thermoelectric-generators/wood-stove-water-cooled-100w-teg

photovoltaics are much cheaper!

yhs
prof mumbles

So sad about the prices of the LP generators. It looks like price wise, one is stuck with gasoline electric generators.

Large units like those used in your typical RV or construction sit:  Harbor Freight sells a 3500 W generator for $900. An 1800W version will go for a mere $300.

Portable ones are available too: Craftsman (now owned by Lowe's) offers a 2500W gasoline powered generator for about $650

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-Craftsman-2500i-2500-Watt-Portable-Inverter-Generator-with-CO-Detection/5005371567?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-sol-_-ggl-_-LIA_SOL_240_Pressure-Washers-Generators-_-5005371567-_-local-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrrSonvHW9QIV6hTUAR3sDQ4LEAQYBiABEgKRuvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

von Corax

...and I did finally find a 100W thermal pile for your wood stove but it goes for $720 !!!

That probably uses a Peltier-effect semiconductor module, not a thermopile, which would explain why it's out of stock.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: von Corax on January 29, 2022, 01:29:30 PM
...and I did finally find a 100W thermal pile for your wood stove but it goes for $720 !!!

That probably uses a Peltier-effect semiconductor module, not a thermopile, which would explain why it's out of stock.

Indeed, that's what it is.

Googling, I stumbled on this propane gas generator:

1000 W propane powered electric generator, about $550 MSRP. Still expensive, but more reasonable.

https://alpgenerators.com/products/alp-generator-1000-watts-orange-black

ALP Generators - 1,000 Watt Propane Powered Generator

But this is still overkill for my immediate needs

Another alternative is solar power coupled coupled to a power bank. Still expensive over the $200 mark compared to what gasoline generators provide, but probably this is all you need for smart electronics

https://www.amazon.com/ACOPOWER-154Wh-Generator-Portable-Solar/dp/B08F2G4PCF

J. Wilhelm

And here's a very goofy but interesting review on the safety of the Portable Buddy ®, by Mr. Heater propane space heater I bought. It's a carbon monoxide safety test.

Are BUDDY HEATERS SAFE Inside an RV ?? | Carbon Monoxide FULL TEST( REVIEW)

It reminds me that buying a carbon monoxide alarm is probably a very good idea, even of the review concluded with a positive safety mark for the heater.

One thing I did noticeI is the difference in labelling between the version sold in Canada (as shown in the video) and the American version I have, both on the body of the heater and the box it came in. Canadian laws apparently force the company, Mr. Heater, to advise the consumer against using the unit indoors at all. In contrast, my model has a different set of warnings but clearly states the unit is meant for indoor use, but gives sundry stern warnings about proper ventilation, with additional cancer warnings from the State of California (if you live in the US, you know that any product comes with labels placed to comply with laws in the State of California, which advice the consumer that just about everything gives you cancer).

Labelling on the American units

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Prof Marvel on January 28, 2022, 09:16:24 AM
OMG

SNIP

prf marbles

Here we go. On standby starting on Wednesday night, when the bomb cyclone from the mid Atlantic arrives in Texas. I've secured a total of 4 new 16 ounce Propane cylinders plus two new 14 ounce propane torch cylinders and one partially used 16 ounce cylinder. Today I buy food. Any suggestions? Frozen stuff probably not in danger of thawing (we put all our food in coolers in the garden last winter - food remained frozen). My roommates are not prepared.

From The Weather Channel Android App:
https://weather.com/storms/winter/video/snow-ice-expected-from-texas-to-maine?pl=pl-latest-forecasts

Prof Marvel

My Dear J
Thanks for the pomegranates posts!

This may arrive too late, but if you can find it this it is quality stuff and quite healthy:

Valley Fresh 100% Natural White and Dark Canned Chicken in Broth.

Wally world usually has it for just under $2 for a 10 oz tin, and the Kroger chains have it for just over $2.10

"Most" branded canned tuna is good stuff, quite cheap, and when mixed with a sauce one can make a nice casserole.

Good score on the LP cylinders! They keep forever.
If one can find a used gasoline genset at a good price they are not hard to convert to LP.

If you can get to your storage unit before the blow, your existing photovoltaic panel would provide all the charging you may need.

Yhs
Prof mumbles

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Prof Marvel on February 01, 2022, 09:23:34 PM
My Dear J
Thanks for the pomegranates posts!

This may arrive too late, but if you can find it this it is quality stuff and quite healthy:

Valley Fresh 100% Natural White and Dark Canned Chicken in Broth.

Wally world usually has it for just under $2 for a 10 oz tin, and the Kroger chains have it for just over $2.10

"Most" branded canned tuna is good stuff, quite cheap, and when mixed with a sauce one can make a nice casserole.

Good score on the LP cylinders! They keep forever.
If one can find a used gasoline genset at a good price they are not hard to convert to LP.

If you can get to your storage unit before the blow, your existing photovoltaic panel would provide all the charging you may need.

Yhs
Prof mumbles

I don't know about pomegranate posts but our supermarket carries imported Italian pomegranate soda that is to die for  ;D I did get a combo of canned tuna, chicken and wieners plus canned Italian soups. Stocked up on water and beer, and that's all on top of the standard refrigerator stuff, which I could place outside should the power fizzle.

There won't be time tomorrow for anything other than running back home, I'm afraid, assuming they don't cancel the bus routes. I have to find the cleats I made for the last storm. They keep telling us it "won't be as bad" and we'll only get ice and sleet  ::) I know Texas ice and sleet very well thank you. It turns the Hill Country into the Icecapades. And that's not the problem, but the frozen equipment at the natural gas suppliers in North and West Texas, where it's bound to be much worse. That's the real problem.

This time I planned for a lack of water, as the city water treatment plant also stopped last time  ::) We may not have snow to melt. The ice is dirty.

As you can expect,panic buying has already set in at the supermarkets. I was lucky to find what I needed.

Prof Marvel

Good score on the canned goods! Get any matches and candles?

Now let's see... You still need shovels, axes, crossbows, arbalests and something to feed the oxen....

Old Firesign Theater quote
Dear Nabby . . .
. . . Thanks for the pomegranates,
Spunky loves them,and will be sitting up soon, I hope.
As for the excellent porcelian astrolab
. . . "a"?
There's an "e" in there
--- "astrolabe"
. . . which miraclously arrived in percise working condition
after its perilous journey
'round the Tit
-- oh, Tip
-- oh dear, that's a "p"
-- "Tip
. . I set it up directly,
and having once aligned it upon the Celestial Doggie, the sight so roused me,
that I was seized by a transport of scientifc rapture!
And, whilst a happy prisoner of this unhappy state,
I fell upon my glorious machine, and knocked it, perforce, up
-- down
-- the kitchen stairs, carrying faithful Bunky
-- Spunky
-- with it.
You can imagine my confusion.

Good luck on the storm it looks like a wild one .

Prf marbels
Waiting for the electrician or someone like him

Prof Marvel

Last minutes thoughts:
Collect some large rocks about the size of a contelope now, wash and dry them.
Put them in the oven and warm it up to 300 to 400 deg f.
Now you have hot rocks prior to electric outage....

Hope you have oven mitts.

Oh... Lack of water!
Yes, old school hurricane season lessons:
Use what is in the hot water tank, and wash and fill the bathtub ahead of time.

Yhs
Prf marvel

MWBailey

Quote from: Prof Marvel on February 02, 2022, 05:46:10 AM

and having once aligned it upon the Celestial Doggie, the sight so roused me,
that I was seized by a transport of scientifc rapture!
And, whilst a happy prisoner of this unhappy state,
I fell upon my glorious machine, and knocked it, perforce, up
-- down
-- the kitchen stairs, carrying faithful Bunky
-- Spunky
-- with it.

Knocked you on your Astrolabe, did it? *capers away, laughing maniacally*

(is also an avid user of astrolabes)
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

morozow

When the Great Patriotic War began, physicists at the Leningrad Institute of Physics and Technology developed a TG-1 thermoelectric generator, known as the "partisan kettle", specifically for partisans and sabotage groups thrown into the enemy's rear.

The TG-1 really looked like a pot, filled with water and set on a bonfire.

A compound of antimony with zinc and constantan, a copper–based alloy with the addition of nickel and manganese, were used as semiconductor materials.

The temperature difference between the flame of the fire and the water reached 300 ° and was sufficient for the occurrence of a current in the thermoelectric generator. As a result, the partisans charged the batteries of their radio station. The power of the TG-1 reached 10 watts.

In the post-war period, work on such equipment was carried out in the interests of the national economy in order to provide power to hard-to-reach areas and sparsely populated areas. And several types of thermoelectric generators of different designs were created for low-power consumers.

Mass-produced, for example, devices called TGK-3 and TEGK-2-2, designed in the form of a nozzle on the glass of a standard kerosene lamp.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: morozow on February 05, 2022, 07:32:37 PM
When the Great Patriotic War began, physicists at the Leningrad Institute of Physics and Technology developed a TG-1 thermoelectric generator, known as the "partisan kettle", specifically for partisans and sabotage groups thrown into the enemy's rear.

The TG-1 really looked like a pot, filled with water and set on a bonfire.

A compound of antimony with zinc and constantan, a copper–based alloy with the addition of nickel and manganese, were used as semiconductor materials.

The temperature difference between the flame of the fire and the water reached 300 ° and was sufficient for the occurrence of a current in the thermoelectric generator. As a result, the partisans charged the batteries of their radio station. The power of the TG-1 reached 10 watts.

In the post-war period, work on such equipment was carried out in the interests of the national economy in order to provide power to hard-to-reach areas and sparsely populated areas. And several types of thermoelectric generators of different designs were created for low-power consumers.

Mass-produced, for example, devices called TGK-3 and TEGK-2-2, designed in the form of a nozzle on the glass of a standard kerosene lamp.

That's awesome! I'm liking both concepts.

von Corax

By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

MWBailey

Quote from: von Corax on February 06, 2022, 02:19:33 PM
Today at Hack a Day: Camping For $25: Thrift Store Hacks To Keep Cozy

The know-it-all comments are a riot (I watch Corporal's Corner all the time). Just saying...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: MWBailey on February 12, 2022, 09:59:17 AM
Quote from: von Corax on February 06, 2022, 02:19:33 PM
Today at Hack a Day: Camping For $25: Thrift Store Hacks To Keep Cozy

The know-it-all comments are a riot (I watch Corporal's Corner all the time). Just saying...

Not as bad as the comments under SpaceX and NASA tweets!

SeVeNeVeS

As gas and energy prices rise, I got a letter from my gas company to expect a 54% rise in my bill over the next few months combined with the mad unmentionable situation atm which could lead to a potential international confrontation not seen for many a year and the climate melt down, I am actively going to re-activate my wood burner, needs must, either freeze or frazzle, nuclear or natural....................... my home shall glow one way or another.
Should we remember to duck and cover.  ::)

Banfili

I need to get a new flue for my wood turner, which doesn't look likely before the winter. So, as I have built up a massive credit with my electricity provider, it looks like electric heating (solar powered, for the most part) in daylight, and a lot of early nights!