News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Re: Departed Cultural Icons 2022

Started by chironex, January 21, 2022, 09:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockula

Nichelle Nichols.

I'm not sure I need to say more.

I'm feeling sad.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Sorontar

Her role and what she put into it certainly sent a message. That is probably why the role was communications officer.
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Rockula

Olivia Newton-John
1948 - 2022

73 is no age.
F*** cancer.

von Corax

Gord Lewis, founding guitarist for the Punk band Teenage Head, was found murdered in his home yesterday (August 8.) His son Jonathan Lewis has been charged with second-degree murder.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Sorontar

Judith Durham, lead singer of the Seekers (3 July 1943 – 5 August 2022)

Mercury Wells

Raymond Briggs: The Snowman illustrator dies at 88.
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Rockula

Quote from: Mercury Wells on August 10, 2022, 11:56:47 AM
Raymond Briggs: The Snowman illustrator dies at 88.

Amongst many, many others he wrote, illustrated or both including...

Father Christmas (1973)
Father Christmas Goes on Holiday (1975)
Fungus the Bogeyman (1977)
Gentleman Jim (1980)
When the Wind Blows (1982)
The Tin-Pot Foreign General and the Old Iron Woman (1984)
Unlucky Wally (1987)
Unlucky Wally 20 Years On (1989)
The Man (1992)
The Bear (1994)
Ethel & Ernest: A True Story (1998)
Ug: Boy Genius of the Stone Age (2001)
The Puddleman (2004)
Notes from the Sofa (2015)

von Corax

Frank Donald Drake (May 28, 1930 – September 2, 2022) was an American astronomer and astrophysicist. Drake made significant radio studies of the planets and was notably involved in the first search for extraterrestrial intelligence, including, mounting the first observational attempts at detecting extraterrestrial communications in 1960 in Project Ozma, developing the Drake equation, as the creator of the Arecibo message, a digital encoding of an astronomical and biological description of the Earth and its lifeforms for transmission into the cosmos, and as one of the first trustees of the SETI Institute.

https://hackaday.com/2022/09/09/frank-drakes-legacy-or-are-we-all-alone-in-the-universe/

Synistor 303

Quote from: von Corax on September 11, 2022, 01:11:50 PM
Frank Donald Drake (May 28, 1930 – September 2, 2022) was an American astronomer and astrophysicist. Drake made significant radio studies of the planets and was notably involved in the first search for extraterrestrial intelligence, including, mounting the first observational attempts at detecting extraterrestrial communications in 1960 in Project Ozma, developing the Drake equation, as the creator of the Arecibo message, a digital encoding of an astronomical and biological description of the Earth and its lifeforms for transmission into the cosmos, and as one of the first trustees of the SETI Institute.

https://hackaday.com/2022/09/09/frank-drakes-legacy-or-are-we-all-alone-in-the-universe/

Well thanks for the panic attack - I read 'Departed Cultural Icons', then immediately saw 'Father Christmas 1973'!!

I have Covid, so my brain is not working at it's usual 50% capacity. Father Christmas is not a departed cultural icon.

Sir Henry

Quote from: Synistor 303 on September 12, 2022, 03:20:42 AM
Quote from: von Corax on September 11, 2022, 01:11:50 PM

Well thanks for the panic attack - I read 'Departed Cultural Icons', then immediately saw 'Father Christmas 1973'!!

I have Covid, so my brain is not working at it's usual 50% capacity. Father Christmas is not a departed cultural icon.
It wasn't only you. And I don't have covid...
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

RJBowman

I just got word that Jean-Luc Godard has passed away.

Sir Henry

Quote from: RJBowman on September 13, 2022, 02:32:00 PM
I just got word that Jean-Luc Godard has passed away.
So many hours of my life have been made better by the influence of his life's work.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.

morozow

Boris Mikhailovich Moiseev (March 4, 1954, Mogilev, Byelorussian SSR, USSR — September 27, 2022, Moscow, Russia) was a Soviet and Russian artist, pop singer, dancer, choreographer, film actor, Honored Artist of Russia (2006).

One of the first openly gay men on the Russian stage. Although it's hard for me to say where his freaky, mannered image ended, and where he was himself.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

von Corax

Louise Fletcher (July 22, 1934 – September 23, 2022) was an American actress who portrayed the antagonist Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975), which earned her an Academy Award for Best Actress, a BAFTA Award, and a Golden Globe Award. She also had a recurring role as the Bajoran religious leader Kai Winn Adami in the television series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993–99).

Sorontar

Angela Lansbury (16 October 1925 – 11 October 2022) - actress known for many roles, especially the lead character in the tv series Murder She Wrote. Interestingly, the news reports seem to omit her live action Disney role for Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

morozow

Widely known in narrow circles "historian" and publicist Andrey Georgievich Kuptsov (February 9, 1950 — October 6, 2022).

The freak became a little star in the field of history in the 90s of the 2000s,.

A few quotes about him.

"Andrey Georgievich's ignorance is even more shocking. <...> It is possible to refute almost every phrase from Kuptsov"

"Such a pile of illiteracy, multiplied by the aplomb of a narcissistic dilettante and generously flavored with words and expressions from the street lexicon ("bullshit", "fuck", "motherfucker", etc.) have not yet had to meet"

"I know the author personally: he was at one time being cured of schizophrenia" and noted here that he "understands weapons, and you can't refuse him iron logic, like any schizophrenic."

In some ways, he symbolized his era.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

von Corax

Anthony Robert McMillan OBE (30 March 1950 – 14 October 2022), known professionally as Robbie Coltrane, was a Scottish actor, comedian and writer. He gained worldwide recognition as Rubeus Hagrid in the Harry Potter film series (2001–2011), and as Valentin Dmitrovich Zukovsky in the James Bond films GoldenEye (1995) and The World Is Not Enough (1999).

Sorontar

Um, Robbie became known because of Cracker before he was on Bond films or Hagrid. Wikipedia has the wrong description.

von Corax

Quote from: Sorontar on October 14, 2022, 11:55:32 PM
Um, Robbie became known because of Cracker before he was on Bond films or Hagrid. Wikipedia has the wrong description.

Cracker aired in the UK and Canada, but I'm not sure how well-known it was in the rest of the world.

Rockula

For many of us in the U.K. Robbie was a familiar face a long, long time before 'Cracker'.
I remember him in a BBC play in 1979 called 'Waterloo Sunset'. In fact I have a VHS of it.

von Corax

Quote from: WikipediaColtrane then gained national prominence starring as criminal psychologist Dr. Eddie "Fitz" Fitzgerald in the ITV television series Cracker (1993–2006), a role which saw him receive the British Academy Television Award for Best Actor in three consecutive years (1994 to 1996). (Emphasis mine.)

Sorontar

As I remember it, in Australia during the 1990s he was linked to Cracker first. That was how commentators/journalists expected people to know him. He wasn't unknown until the Bond and Potter films. ABC news just said he "came to fame as the hard-bitten detective in Cracker", then they mentioned Hagrid.

von Corax

Of course, there is also the very distinct possibility that Wikipedia is wrong...

Sir Henry

Quote from: Rockula on October 15, 2022, 01:01:32 AM

For many of us in the U.K. Robbie was a familiar face a long, long time before 'Cracker'.
I remember him in a BBC play in 1979 called 'Waterloo Sunset'. In fact I have a VHS of it.
Yes, for me his most memorable parts were in assorted Comic Strip Presents, right at the beginning of his career.

But that could be because I haven't had a TV since the early 90's.

SeVeNeVeS

I think the first time seeing him on tv was when he appeared in the young ones.