News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The ugliest building in your city.

Started by J. Wilhelm, April 15, 2022, 01:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chironex

No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: chironex on June 06, 2022, 02:09:23 PM

BCC Cinema

A row of litter along the curve of Sturt Street. One of these is the headquarters of the defunct Storm Financial (or Cassimatis Securities).

Voltage source.

Development on former Flinders Street workshops/yard.

The new Townsville Stadium. The old freight shed that used to be there probably had more architectural merit.

Ridiculous thing stuck to side of Townsville station.

This stands where the old Temperance and General used to be.

Old Commonwealth Bank building.

Hotel Grand Chancellor.

And there'll be more coming.

As  proud NZer , I would taunt you about how ugly your Australian buildings are ...

But sadly the NZ government and corporates too often choose to try to emulate what Australia has in the line of building design...

J. Wilhelm

Wow. One whole year passed between the last two posts!! That can only mean Time is passing too fast, and I really need to quit my job, for life is passing me by.

However, today I hold a surprise for you, my uglies. Not just random photos of ugly buildings, but a chronological album about one ugly building, which,as you will see, never stood a chance of being good looking.  This is one abomination that should have been terminated on the drawing board. Bear with me, it'll take a few moments to load the photos (17).

This is a luxury condominium building with only about a hundred units and most of it parking, apparently (downtown garages by city ordinances must make some of their space available to the public but they're allowed to charge for parking). The middle of the building between the garage and the residences sports an open space with a swimming pool and other amenities. Apparently there's another open space near the top, as this is the latest craze in skyscrapers (some even have trees and gardens). Photos were taken from two angles a West side which shows the street level floor, and the East side which shows some a liquor store and a sandwich shop in front.

All photos taken by me as I stood waiting for the bus to take me to work.

November 2021

July 2022

August 2022

September 2022

October 2022

November 2022

December 2022

January 2023

February 2023

April 2023

That seemingly crumbling concrete siding on the parking garage floors is actually steel reinforced concrete foam.  Very lightweight and strong, but the fluffy surface is very easy to damage.  I'm hoping they'll cover that with *something* because it looks like those terracotta colored panels on the residence floors is here to stay.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: chironex on June 06, 2022, 02:09:23 PM
Snip
And there'll be more coming.
The one tacked onto the Townsville Station just screams 1950s.

The 3rd below the MAK Advertising Building screams "Miami condos." Full of pensioners from New York passing the winter in Florida.  Add a 1986 white Ferrari Testarrosa with some disheveled unshaven looking dude wearing a white linen suit and no socks. He'll show his inspector badge to a cop and climb to the penthouse condo of the wealthy old lady who was murdered last night.

The one built where the temperance movement building used to be looks like a large bookcase with a built-in radiator.

The last cylindrical building is a ripoff from the Holiday Inn cylindrical building present in many major cities in the US.  The original 1981 movie Blade Runner, actually includes one of those buildings in the opening scene over a futuristic L.A.

chironex

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on May 10, 2023, 06:08:58 AMThe one built where the temperance movement building used to be looks like a large bookcase with a built-in radiator.

What was there wasn't really much better. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%26G_Building,_Townsville

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on May 10, 2023, 06:08:58 AMThe last cylindrical building is a ripoff from the Holiday Inn cylindrical building present in many major cities in the US.  The original 1981 movie Blade Runner, actually includes one of those buildings in the opening scene over a futuristic L.A.

I cannot find any images of what you're describing. Only one in Singapore.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: chironex on August 30, 2023, 02:29:56 AM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on May 10, 2023, 06:08:58 AM

The one built where the temperance movement building used to be looks like a large bookcase with a built-in radiator.

What was there wasn't really much better. 5VsbzL7fh3gCPfC

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on May 10, 2023, 06:08:58 AM

The last cylindrical building is a ripoff from the Holiday Inn cylindrical building present in many major cities in the US.  The original 1981 movie Blade Runner, actually includes one of those buildings in the opening scene over a futuristic L.A.

I cannot find any images of what you're describing. Only one in Singapore.

Actually the one shown in the movie was a modified helicopter shot of the building shown in the first photo, below. The buildings are so old they've been remodeled several times on the outside and often given satellite structures, but you can recognize the original outline of the plan. I believe most of these cylindrical buildings will be in the US:

Cylindrical Holiday Inn in Los Angeles.

Cylindrical Holiday Inn in Austin

Cylindrical Holiday Inns throughout the US

Sir Henry

There are several circular houses in the UK made by converting water towers. Sadly most of them have been done with a sterile, minimalist sensibility but this one still has a few characterful elements: https://thespaces.com/converted-water-tower-warwickshire/

(Much later edit)
I will not apologise for not posting a totally hideous building in keeping with this thread. Think of it as a short tea break in the deluge of dross.  ;)
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

J. Wilhelm

Or vice versa, a cream filled pastry after drinking several cups of bad coffee

J. Wilhelm

Found on the Internet. Source unknown.

Brutalist KFC... Where chicken fries YOU!!