News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Request for Comments: Photography Board

Started by von Corax, September 07, 2022, 04:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we create a new board for artistic photography?

Yes
7 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: December 06, 2022, 04:00:02 AM

von Corax

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: von Corax on September 15, 2022, 08:09:10 AM
Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on September 15, 2022, 08:03:38 AM
Can some one please delete http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,52946.0.html

Thanks.

Done. Changed your mind about that software?

Its been available for free for years, a great little program whivh I lost in a HD crash.

I recently re-installed it, 30 day trial and now have to pay for it.

I refuse to premote pay for programs. Thanks for deleting the thread.

J. Wilhelm

I have a question. Regarding an architectural discussion thread (technical in nature) would that be Off Topic?

von Corax

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on September 17, 2022, 01:15:38 PM
I have a question. Regarding an architectural discussion thread (technical in nature) would that be Off Topic?

Put it there for now. If it starts to look like it belongs in Tactile we can move it.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: von Corax on September 17, 2022, 01:45:29 PM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on September 17, 2022, 01:15:38 PM

Put it there for now. If it starts to look like it belongs in Tactile we can move it.

Ok  :)

MWBailey

Quote from: von Corax on September 07, 2022, 04:00:02 AM
I've had the idea that we could benefit from a new board dedicated to "artistic photography." This would include such existing threads as "Abandoned" and "Steamy Steampunk Buildings", as well as threads dedicated to portraiture, landscapes, cityscapes, and modelscapes; it would not include build photos (which should be in Tactile,) generic "selfies," (probably in Anatomical,) or event photojournals (which should be in the appropriate Geographical board or sub-board.)

Beyond these criteria, I'm willing to listen to any cogent suggestions, including "Scrap the entire idea."

What say you?

Should paintings be posted in the Tactile  2d Art thread, instead of the photography area?
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

von Corax

Quote from: MWBailey on September 26, 2022, 11:55:49 PM
I've had the idea that we could benefit from a new board dedicated to "artistic photography." This would include such existing threads as "Abandoned" and "Steamy Steampunk Buildings", as well as threads dedicated to portraiture, landscapes, cityscapes, and modelscapes; it would not include build photos (which should be in Tactile,) generic "selfies," (probably in Anatomical,) or event photojournals (which should be in the appropriate Geographical board or sub-board.)

Beyond these criteria, I'm willing to listen to any cogent suggestions, including "Scrap the entire idea."

What say you?

Should paintings be posted in the Tactile  2d Art thread, instead of the photography area?

Yes. The Photography board is intended for photography.

Synistor 303

Quote from: von Corax on September 27, 2022, 12:38:05 AM

What say you?

What if it is a photo of a painting??  ;D

von Corax

Quote from: Synistor 303 on September 27, 2022, 12:56:19 AM
Quote from: von Corax on September 27, 2022, 12:38:05 AM

What say you?

What if it is a photo of a painting??  ;D

Depends whether it's an art photo, or just a photo of art. :P

J. Wilhelm

Here's another question. What about photo manipulation?

von Corax

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on October 10, 2022, 02:54:52 AM

If it's more than just fine-tuning, I would put it in the 2D Art thread or its own thread in Tactile.

Synistor 303

Now I am checking each day to see the photos... Bring on the photography!

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: von Corax on October 10, 2022, 09:31:29 AM

If it's more than just fine-tuning, I would put it in the 2D Art thread or its own thread in Tactile.

I would tend to disagree on that one, if a photo is an own product surely "manipulation" via photoshop or the like could be acceptable, whether subtle tones or the use of in-phone apps. I'm all for natural but we have a section Techniques & Technologies..........so manipulation could happily fit into that catergory.

So, If I took a photo and using an app turned it to sepia and put an alaborate boarder wrap around it, would that be considered too much? where could one draw the line?

Dunno, just a thought.

von Corax

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on October 11, 2022, 01:47:44 PM
Quote from: von Corax on October 10, 2022, 09:31:29 AM

I would tend to disagree on that one, if a photo is an own product surely "manipulation" via photoshop or the like could be acceptable, whether subtle tones or the use of in-phone apps. I'm all for natural but we have a section Techniques & Technologies..........so manipulation could happily fit into that catergory.

So, If I took a photo and using an app turned it to sepia and put an alaborate boarder wrap around it, would that be considered too much? where could one draw the line?

Dunno, just a thought.

They're guidelines, not rules. If you can convince Wells and the other Mods, you can put it anywhere you think it fits. My own feeling would be to ask whether you're enhancing an existing image or creating a new one. (I don't think we want to draw lines — Steampunk is all about the grey areas for some of us. Or sepia areas. Whatever.)

SeVeNeVeS

Our dear Wells hasn't logged in for a month, I know PC problems were an issue but should we be worried?

Can you contact with e-mail?

?????

Synistor 303

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on October 14, 2022, 10:55:23 AM
Our dear Wells hasn't logged in for a month, I know PC problems were an issue but should we be worried?

Can you contact with e-mail?

?????

I think you can send a private message that is emailed directly to them?