News:

The Great Migration is complete! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Anybody Home?

Started by MWBailey, September 26, 2022, 08:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWBailey

Anybody home?
Last post on here is yesterday, I think. and not a whole lot just before that. I've been having drought and aged-parent stuff going on, and the dulcimers and bluegrassers planning performances, so I haven't been on much either to lurk or post.

I just started refurbishing a pair of suspenders (What our Brit friends call braces, so I hear. They do wear out, you know Er, the braces, not the Brits). And adding teensy brass reinforcing strips to a wooden folding chair for performance/reenactment use.

Wow.

I hope I'm not the last of the bunch...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

von Corax

Quote from: MWBailey on September 26, 2022, 08:04:28 PM

Nope; there's a few of us still here. (Contrary to appearances, I don't actually live here, although I do have a cot set up in the Engine Room...)
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

mizzarrogh

I renovating the old farmhouse, and everything needs to be done before the frost sets in and the snow fall.  :)
(i want to know how people actually lived back then and try to understand tha function and correct use of all the old tools... It buggers me that i still need to buy so much of my food, but i guess it's just to accept the fact that the land is to small to make it all fully self reliant for the basic functions, but i can still grow vegetables and it's enough for a chicken-coop and possibly some sheep in the future :) )
That's why my steampunk projects and model railroad goes on a quarter on the summer, until i can save up some pocket money and free more time for the crafting projects.  :)
However some of the rolling stock are actually live steam tinplate locos from the 1930-40s, i wanted to keep them original for historical reasons, that's why i did not post that much about it here yet, but i renovated them back to functional condition (whan i manage to find parts, i so badly which i could afford a real late and a millingmachine and a place to install them permanently so they can be used in the winter... But for now it's the handfile.) so they can run on actual steam.  :)

MWBailey

Posting just a blurb while waiting to drive Mom to the dentist.

Glad to hear from you, Mr. Von Corax, and Mizzarrogh.

Sorry, sometimes I see the general dearth and get  fidgety. I might post some bits about my chair and/or the suspenders, but i imagine there's probably a suspenders/braces how-to on here someplace. Bound to be, it's such a common problem... (?).
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Sorontar

I am still here. Mainly lurking. RL is busy.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Cora Courcelle

And I am also still here but a few computer issues have been making communicating a bit tiresome.  Hopefully that will improve so I'll just have the problem of not having much to say.
We are off to Haworth Steampunk Weekend soon though so that may give me more to write about ....
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Sir Henry

I drop by every day, while taking a break from housework (plumbing, wiring, napalming the garden, that sort of thing).

Unfortunately I'm far too tired to actually communicate.
Having said that, I did just spend the last 3 hours on the phone failing to explain to British gas that I don't have an account with them for gas so I can't owe them £500 pounds and that no, I won't fill in the rest of the details that allow them to take over my electricity account from my current supplier. Apparently there's nothing that they can do, so it's off to the ombudsman again...
Yes, like others, I have been busy...
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

morozow

I'm here. Sometimes I manage to pretend that I'm from the "right" geographical place. And then the site opens.

Another panic. And the closing of the summer season. I collected beans, plowed the beds for winter garlic. I fried a duck on the grill.

Maybe I'll go to war, then I'll have to leave you for an indefinite time.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Synistor 303

Quote from: morozow on September 27, 2022, 07:28:55 PM
I'm here. Sometimes I manage to pretend that I'm from the "right" geographical place. And then the site opens.

Another panic. And the closing of the summer season. I collected beans, plowed the beds for winter garlic. I fried a duck on the grill.

I hope none of us ever have to go to war...

Synistor 303

Quote from: Sir Henry on September 27, 2022, 04:37:03 PM
I drop by every day, while taking a break from housework (plumbing, wiring, napalming the garden, that sort of thing).

Unfortunately I'm far too tired to actually communicate.
Having said that, I did just spend the last 3 hours on the phone failing to explain to British gas that I don't have an account with them for gas so I can't owe them £500 pounds and that no, I won't fill in the rest of the details that allow them to take over my electricity account from my current supplier. Apparently there's nothing that they can do, so it's off to the ombudsman again...
Yes, like others, I have been busy...

Oh, it's always so much fun, isn't it? I am still scarred by the time a branch fell on our landline wire snapping it so it was no longer attached to our house. I rang our telco and carefully explained why our phone was no longer working and she then asked me; "Can you check for a dial tone?" I was about to explain again that there was no tone, because our landline phone was no longer connected etc when I realised that she just had to work through her check list step by step. It didn't help that she was from a different country, either. So I 'checked' the phone; "No, there isn't a dial tone..." This went on for some time, while she tried to connect to our phone from her end. Finally she concluded that there must be something else wrong with our phone and she would send a technician out.

My greatest regret was I didn't tape the call, because it was so horribly, horribly funny.

mizzarrogh

My honest and best hopes You will come home in one piece to Your family if so.
My brothers are in the army reserve so i know Your situation, not much to do about the current situation, sadly.
I know the Polish guy working for my sisters husbands company last year also went to the war him self, and i understand why he had to, i can't help i often think about him, and wonder if he will return when the hell is ower or just become another number in the insanity.

I send help to the civilians children in the war zone my self when i can, at least it is something, i hope, i would help the children no matter which side.

SeVeNeVeS

Always, at least once every day, not always logged in, so it may appear I am absent for long periods of time, but my beady eye is constantly amongst you. Like many I have RL stuff going on atm so don't always reply to posts.

morozow

Quote from: mizzarrogh on September 28, 2022, 08:55:45 AM

I know the Polish guy working for my sisters husbands company last year also went to the war him self, and i understand why he had to, i can't help i often think about him, and wonder if he will return when the hell is ower or just become another number in the insanity.

It's just that the world has gone crazy. It happens.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

J. Wilhelm

Anybody home?
Last post on here is yesterday, I think. and not a whole lot just before that. I've been having drought and aged-parent stuff going on, and the dulcimers and bluegrassers planning performances, so I haven't been on much either to lurk or post.

I just started refurbishing a pair of suspenders (What our Brit friends call braces, so I hear. They do wear out, you know Er, the braces, not the Brits). And adding teensy brass reinforcing strips to a wooden folding chair for performance/reenactment use.

Wow.

I'm a bit perplexed. Did the Steamy Buildings thread move to the new Photography section go unnoticed? The new threads on photography? The Guild of Icarus thread with the reporting on the 3 SLS launch attempts by NASA?  And Mr. Harrison's house project thread?

von Corax

If that does happen, keep your head down and come back to us safely.
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Caledonian

Anybody home?

Wow.

I've mostly been lurking recently, sorry, university is eating up all my energy
Passion is like a Peatfire