News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Departed Cultural Icons 2023

Started by von Corax, January 03, 2023, 11:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockula

Shane Patrick Lysaght MacGowan (25 December 1957 – 30 November 2023) was an Irish musician who was best known as the lead singer and songwriter of Celtic punk band the Pogues.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

RJBowman

Television producer and writer Norman Leer has died at 101. I don't know if he is known outside the United States, but his impact on popular culture here is massive.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/norman-lear-dead-dies-tv-legend-all-in-the-family-1235823995/

von Corax

Chad Allan (March 29, 1943 – November 21, 2023, born Allan Peter Stanley Kowbel) was a co-founder and original lead singer of Canadian rock band The Guess Who.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

von Corax

Myles Francis Goodwyn (June 23, 1948 – December 3, 2023) was a Canadian musician and the lead vocalist, guitarist, and principal songwriter of the rock band April Wine.

von Corax

Ryan O'Neal (April 20, 1941 – December 8, 2023) was an American actor who, after starting out in soap operas, found success in films including the romantic drama Love Story (1970), for which he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor and the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama; Peter Bogdanovich's What's Up, Doc? (1972); Paper Moon (1973), which earned him a nomination for the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy; Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon (1975), in which he portrayed the titular character; Richard Attenborough's A Bridge Too Far (1977); and Walter Hill's The Driver (1978).

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: von Corax on December 12, 2023, 01:51:00 AMRyan O'Neal (April 20, 1941 – December 8, 2023) was an American actor who, after starting out in soap operas, found success in films including the romantic drama Love Story (1970), for which he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor and the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama; Peter Bogdanovich's What's Up, Doc? (1972); Paper Moon (1973), which earned him a nomination for the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy; Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon (1975), in which he portrayed the titular character; Richard Attenborough's A Bridge Too Far (1977); and Walter Hill's The Driver (1978).

That was an actor before my time, but what I did know about him is that his personal life and his family's was as tumultuous and convoluted as the character he played in Stanley Kubric's movie "Barry Lyndon."

Rockula

Ian Gibson (20 February 1946 – 11 December 2023) was a British comic book artist, best known for his 1980s black-and-white work for 2000 AD, especially as the main artist on Robo-Hunter and The Ballad of Halo Jones, as well as his long run on Judge Dredd.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...