News:

The Great Migration is complete! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Recent Site Access Issue

Started by von Corax, December 19, 2023, 10:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Corax

Over the past few days visitors to Brass Goggles might have been met with a 504 Gateway Timeout error message. When I contacted our hosting service, CanSpace Solutions, they were already aware of the problem and hard at work to mitigate it. The issue experienced was due to a concerted Denial of Service attack on the box where our site lives.

This morning I received the following missive from CanSpace's Tech Support desk:

QuoteCanSpace Solutions

Hello,

I'm writing to provide an update on the recent challenges we faced with your server, and to share the steps we've taken to address these issues.

Recently, your server was targeted by an unusually intense DDoS attack, which reached its peak yesterday, December 18th. Our data center is well-equipped to handle most DDoS attacks, but this particular instance was exceptional in both its scale and complexity.

This resulted in sporadic downtime as we were forced to shut down certain network services to keep other parts of the server online, as well as a few reboots as we added hardware to help the server cope with the extra traffic.

DDoS attacks are rare, but unfortunately they can happen to any provider at any time. We do our absolute best to mitigate these as fast as we possibly can. The peak of this attack actually began on the night of Sunday the 17th, and we had multiple agents (including myself) up all night well into Monday morning to try and get your websites and services back online as fast as we possibly could.

The good news is that this issue is now resolved, and should be permanently. We've managed to null-route all of the bad traffic, and we've also identified the sites that were the target of this attack and have moved them off the server altogether.

We understand the critical role your website and email services play in your business, and I just wanted to re-assure you that we were working as hard as we possibly could to get things back to normal as soon as possible.

As an added bonus, the extra hardware we added to your server to cope with the excess DDoS traffic remains in place, so your website should actually be loading even faster than before.

As always we greatly appreciate your business and I hope that the downtime was not too much of an inconvenience here. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

-Bojan
CanSpace Solutions

----------------------------------------------
Ticket ID: #954146
Subject: 504 Errors
Ticket URL: https://www.canspace.ca/clients/viewticket.php?tid=954146&c=Q7xMos0a
----------------------------------------------
visit our website | log in to your account | get support
Copyright © CanSpace Solutions, All rights reserved.

Please join me in thanking Bojan and his colleagues at CanSpace for their efforts on our behalf.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Sorontar

I must admit, that is the most I have ever heard from a hosting site in response to issues like that. Normally they tend to just say "Everything is under control" without indicating anything about how they have done that, or even what the problem was. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

SeVeNeVeS

Are we being attacked again, can sometimes take 30 seconds or more of hanging before I can visit the forum and log in, then view a post. Slow.

von Corax

I'm not aware of anything. Is anyone else having trouble logging in?
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading