News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Saccharin is Steampunk

Started by RJBowman, April 29, 2024, 10:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJBowman

I saw this video last week, and was inspired by J. Wilhelm's post about American Cheese. It was discovered in 1879.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwAKFeqJznI

In the 19th century, coal tar extract were important to industry as a source of textile dies among other uses. I guess it was inevitable that the source of artificially color for the visual sense could also produce artificial flavors.

Be grateful that coal tar only became a source of flavoring, and did not become a source of the substance of synthetic foods.

Additional history from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharin#History

Sir Henry

I'm not sure that I can agree; for me something so basic, straightforward and undecorated has no place in the Steampunk universe.
Except, of course, as an ingredient in a much more fantastical creation such as a life-sized crystal candy copy of the Eiffel Tower perhaps.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

von Corax

Quote from: Sir Henry on April 30, 2024, 09:49:46 AMI'm not sure that I can agree; for me something so basic, straightforward and undecorated has no place in the Steampunk universe.
Except, of course, as an ingredient in a much more fantastical creation such as a life-sized crystal candy copy of the Eiffel Tower perhaps.

It's food made from coal tar! How is that not Steampunk?
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Sir Henry

Quote from: von Corax on April 30, 2024, 01:39:06 PM
Quote from: Sir Henry on April 30, 2024, 09:49:46 AMI'm not sure that I can agree; for me something so basic, straightforward and undecorated has no place in the Steampunk universe.

It's food made from coal tar! How is that not Steampunk?
You are right, of course.  ;D
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

J. Wilhelm

That was a fairly interesting article. And it has profound implications for the Victorian Food list. Because sugar is listed as one of the products branded by several companies in the 19th. C., then it follows that Saccharin must be listed too,provided a brand name can be found attached to the product since its emergence through to present day.

However, the original company which produced it for Fahlberg in New York in 1886, Schulze-Berge, Koechl & Movius (Magdeburg, Germany) no longer exists, and it's not clear if anyone at all still holds the patent for it, or if it's name "Saccharine" is itself a registered active trademark.

RJBowman

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on April 30, 2024, 11:36:00 PM...it's not clear if anyone at all still holds the patent for it, or if it's name "Saccharine" is itself a registered active trademark.

The name doesn't seem to be trademarked, but saccharin does have an official web site:
https://saccharin.org/

It appears to belong to an industry group.

von Corax

As far as I can tell from TSOATAK, the term "saccharin" by itself has never been trademarked.
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: RJBowman on May 02, 2024, 06:13:51 PM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on April 30, 2024, 11:36:00 PM...it's not clear if anyone at all still holds the patent for it, or if it's name "Saccharine" is itself a registered active trademark.

The name doesn't seem to be trademarked, but saccharin does have an official web site:
https://saccharin.org/

It appears to belong to an industry group.

I found that site, but seems to be just a consortium of companies.

Quote from: von Corax on May 02, 2024, 08:09:01 PMAs far as I can tell from TSOATAK, the term "saccharin" by itself has never been trademarked.

Yeah, I'm not finding anything either.  However the potential for impact on the list is for products that may have been kept from the list due to "modern ingredients."

Most of the time it's the formula or ingredients list being too different from the Victorian recipe, but I'm not sure if there was a brand excluded due to the use of saccharine.  Probably not, but I have to review the 3 lists.