News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

will it blend

Started by Sir Theodore Catchpole, December 15, 2007, 04:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Theodore Catchpole

Jake of All Trades

Ugg, Will it Blend makes me sick to my stomach.  Stuff like glowsticks is fine, but when they start getting into the iPods and the like....  I don't know, I just really hate destruction for destruction's sake :'(
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

God of Blasphemy

Exactly, it was funny until they blended a 600 dollar Iphone. That made me cry.

The greatest Will it Blend ever-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdD54rG9oQA

Chuck Norris.

Gnome

I love Will it Blend... It's not just destruction for destruction's sake. Much of what they wreck is simply to highlight how shoddily built it all is, a statement against planned obsolescence... All in addition to demonstrating a truly amazing blender. That said, it's outstanding how well some things last. I recall the Wiimote holding out for quite some time before succumbing to its eventual demise.
If you insist on referring to yourself in the third person, don't be surprised if I start referring to you in the first.
SAVE THE AIR KRAKEN! Join the 11th Greenpeace Airborne division!

Dr. Munro

Quote from: Gnome on December 15, 2007, 06:40:36 AM
I love Will it Blend... It's not just destruction for destruction's sake. Much of what they wreck is simply to highlight how shoddily built it all is, a statement against planned obsolescence... All in addition to demonstrating a truly amazing blender. That said, it's outstanding how well some things last. I recall the Wiimote holding out for quite some time before succumbing to its eventual demise.

In fairness to the manufacturers I don't think that when they design a product they ask the question "will it withstand blades that rotate at hundreds of revolutions a minute?".  Just because something can be destroyed in seconds in a blender doesn't mean that it isn't built to last under everyday conditions.

Thipp

Actually, blending the iphone was not the best idea. Cell phone batteries are known for their habit of exploding under unusual pressures. Not to mention how toxic that dust would probably be as a result of the ground up electronics.

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Obviously, none of you have ecer seen the website advertising industrial shredders. Cars, torpedo engine blocks......

Darksmith

I love the will it blend videos. Completely absurd, and they make me giggle maniacally.

A lot of the time at the end of the videos when he dumps what ever was blended onto the table it's smoking, or just really fine dust, and he say something like "oh, barbie smoke, don't breathe that in kids."
Strike while the irons hot

Jarret

The final shot on the lightstick blending made me laugh.

Quote"oh, barbie smoke, don't breathe that in kids."

He actually says "Bad guy smoke."

villaintagonist

This is my new favorite thing. I love the awkward faces he makes while the things are blending.

I'll admit that it was a bit painful for me to watch Halo 3 being blended, but I'm all for the blending of Ipods and Iphones. It is senselessly destructive, but lets remember that behind the really big price tags, it's still all just junk. Fun junk, yes, but still junk. If he was blending small children or puppies or something then I might be offended.

Regardless of varied (and all perfectly valid) feelings on the destruction of expensive electronics, I think we can all agree that the glowstick video was fantastic.

Everything blends, except Chuck Norris.

Atterton

Ipods are junk? Do you know the amount of engineering behind those?
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

villaintagonist

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend, nor to imply that ipods were not marvelous little contraptions. My point was simply that things are just things. Whether it's an Ipod or an old shoe, I don't think the destruction of just one is anything to get worked up about (in fact, I've accidentally broken 3 ipods now, and countless shoes).

Atterton

They´re not just things, they´re gadgets. Gadgets are very important.  ;)

Kabuki

I love will it blend!  I can pretty much tell you for sure, though...  Steampunk will NOT blend.
The only thing more important that squashing one's foe, is doing so with style and panache... - Jake of All Trades

Join the fun here: http://www.b

Atterton

Are you sure? Perhaps we should throw Datamancers laptop into a blender and see what happens...  ;)

HAC

Quote from: Kabuki on December 16, 2007, 01:32:29 AM
I love will it blend!  I can pretty much tell you for sure, though...  Steampunk will NOT blend.

Obviously you have never visited  http://www.ssiworld.com and watched some of the videos...

Cheers
Harold
You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.

CapnHarlock

QuoteNot to mention how toxic that dust would probably be as a result of the ground up electronics.

To quote Messrs. Niven and Pournelle, "Think of it as Evolution in action".
Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.

Lady Almira

Quote from: Atterton on December 16, 2007, 01:35:31 AM
Are you sure? Perhaps we should throw Datamancers laptop into a blender and see what happens...  ;)
That would possibly trigger a reaction in my soul that would end up in my DEATH  :'(
http://hmschronabelle.deviantart.com/
Time Travel: The answer to all of life's little dilemmas.
Minister of Foreign Affairs (Lethal and Non-Lethal) of fair Victoriana.

villaintagonist

Quote from: Atterton on December 16, 2007, 01:35:31 AM

I don't think that it's really reasonable to compare Datamancers laptop to an ipod.
The laptop is one of a kind. It's a work of art, not a mass produced gadget. I'm not trying to say that there's anything wrong with gadgets, and I'm certainly not saying that we should just blend everything in sight, but I don't think that one less ipod in the world is really doing much harm.
I'm not sure why my opinion bothers you so much, but I'd like for you to stop trying to convince me that I'm wrong. You say that it's wasteful, and there's definitely validity in that. I would be pretty upset if he tried to blend some beautifully crafter one-of-a-kind piece of art, you're absolutely right. An ipod just doesn't hold the same value for me, and I apologize if that bothers you. Let's just keep our own opinions ok?

Atterton

Wow, I must have come across a lot more serious than I was.

villaintagonist

You did seem serious, it's hard to tell online, the subtleties of intonation are sometimes important for communication.

I was probably just being too sensitive. I've been stressed out lately, and should have been more conscious of my propensity toward hyper-defensivism.

Sorry!

I really didn't mean to offend your ipods...

Jake of All Trades

I dislike consumerist junk as much as the next guy, but the thing is is that the things being destroyed could have been used for something so much better, you know?  All a matter of opinion though, I suppose...
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

Sir Theodore Catchpole

Quote from: Jake of All Trades on December 16, 2007, 04:44:45 AM
I dislike consumerist junk as much as the next guy, but the thing is is that the things being destroyed could have been used for something so much better, you know?  All a matter of opinion though, I suppose...

yea like being tossed off a roof!

*hee hee hee*