News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Zombie defense/survival

Started by Gentlemens Handbook, January 16, 2008, 07:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD

Quote from: akumabito on March 08, 2008, 03:46:13 PM
...how much flexibility do you have with the sandbox mod? Do you have container models in a library? Can you simulate weather conditions?

Some time ago, in one of those "steampunk colonization" threads, I proposed welding a bunch of 40ft containers together to form an artificial island.. see if you can model that and throw it in an ocean, then let all hell break loose.. ;) 5 containers wide and 5 containers long should do.. :)

You might be able to do it with Phun, a free physics modeler. search it on youtube, there's a lot of demo videos. Looks pretty powerful. That or sketchup physics.
"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."

Doctor Trakov

Anyway, Zombies.
I'd like a traction city :D

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Quote from: akumabito on March 08, 2008, 03:46:13 PM
...how much flexibility do you have with the sandbox mod? Do you have container models in a library? Can you simulate weather conditions?

Some time ago, in one of those "steampunk colonization" threads, I proposed welding a bunch of 40ft containers together to form an artificial island.. see if you can model that and throw it in an ocean, then let all hell break loose.. ;) 5 containers wide and 5 containers long should do.. :)

You start with a modest library of props and tools, and can download more and more over time, including new weapons and vehicles.
With a little ingenuity. it's possible to build most anything you want. Sky-cities are no problem. It's just coming up with ideas of what to put on them that's hard  :D

Doctor Trakov

Thruster lifted, gyro-stabilised sky-cities are godly, especially if you cabn have a war with a wheelie city on the ground.

I've still not got the hang of hovering pure thrust things. I can get things to stay upright, but i always gain or lose altitude, and that's not quite acceptable.

Furthermore, Aku; you're on. 5x5 contianer floating city's no problem.

Doctor Trakov

Quick!
Let us draw up schematics!

Lord Falsworth

This doesn't surprise me all that much.  How can you not have a contingency plan for such an event?  It's obvious.  Every home whould have a first aid kit, roll-up fire escape ladder, and zombie survival guide.  It's really just common sense. 

elShoggotho

Someone mentioned thread necromancy... well, here we go! ;D

akumabito

Yay! Return of the zombie thread!

flimflam

I'm so happy that other people think about this ;D ;D ;D it completely proves that I'm not crazy
hola senoro

akumabito

Quote from: flimflam on May 29, 2008, 06:44:45 PM
it completely proves that I'm not the only crazy zombie survivalist.

Fixed.

TristanRenn

Quote from: akumabito on May 29, 2008, 06:35:18 PM
Yay! Return of the zombie thread!

Quite literally a zombie thread!

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

Problem with this cargo boxes idea is most of them are in cities, and cities are full of people and people turn into zombies. As a rule.
Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com

Atterton

Go to the harbour. There you have cargo boxes, you can have your back free and boats for a quick escape.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Capt. Michael Bedlam

I still hold that the best place to go would be a forested area.  If you had a bit of survival knowledge, you could live on what you find there, and the noises could serve as an early warning system.

By the way, I assume that we are talking about Romero zombies?
Carpe Deim

elShoggotho

Go to a military base, seal yourself in, train with a simulator, cluster bomb the zombie-infrested area. Twice.

Prof. Brockworth

Pennyfarthing and rapier.  Beheading for Queen and Country! ;D

And a good Scottish castle.  Compact and tall and far enough North to have a proper frozen season where the stiffs ought (with luck) to be properly stiff in winter...
Recovering from pennyfarthing bruises...

Drake White

I still think a boats the best bet, think container ship or cruise liner.

Basically their self contained floating towns, they have all the necessary infrastructure (power, water, sanitation etc) to support a sizeable number of people all neatly contained in a mobile package with a 'moat' to boot.

Cruise liners have loads of rooms and structures that while useful to holiday makers are pointless to survivalists so can be converted to more need uses, container ships have immense amounts of space which can be carved up and used, and both have large decks which can be turned over to growing crops and even keeping the odd bit of livestock.

And of course their boats, meaning any zombies or rival survivors would have to surmount a quantity of water to get aboard and the most obvious, it can move. You can moor up at a port 'acquire' all the resources available then ship out for a new port. There's ports absolutely everywhere, most are commercial ports with little more than rent-a-cops for security, and their probably a bit busy with the whole apocalypse thing, leaving them ripe for personal freelance acquirement of strategic resources.

Me personally I'd get myself a cruise liner (container ships don't have jacuzzi's), and get myself a permanent mooring at a container port, pick the port clean of all the containers that contain goods of use to me, would probably be a fair few cars left in the car park so I'd drain a healthy amount of fuel, then look to fortification.

I'd use the containers to my advantage, around the part of the port where the ship is I'd build a container wall, few containers wide, a container or two high. Barb wire, flood lights, watch towers, the usual defences to keep the boat safe. Behind the container wall I'd park my suitably mad-max vehicles and use the giant crane thing to raise and lower one of the containers as a huge gate.

flimflam

what if there was an outbreak on your boat? :o :o :o
I personally would head out into the midwest. There's lots of open space and it's good for farming/hunting/rebuilding.
also fewer people=fewer zombies
hola senoro

Drake White

Quote from: flimflam on May 30, 2008, 03:43:17 AM
what if there was an outbreak on your boat? :o :o :o
I personally would head out into the midwest. There's lots of open space and it's good for farming/hunting/rebuilding.
also fewer people=fewer zombies

We shoot 'em and dump 'em overboard of course.

Jarod20

Read Maxwell Brooks
Zombie Survival and World War Z
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw

Quote from: Capt. Michael Bedlam on May 29, 2008, 09:17:20 PM
I still hold that the best place to go would be a forested area.  If you had a bit of survival knowledge, you could live on what you find there, and the noises could serve as an early warning system.

By the way, I assume that we are talking about Romero zombies?

Shamblers. Runners'd make things a tad chewy when on land.

akumabito

...I wonder if zombies are edible...

the Hat

Quote from: Jarod20 on May 30, 2008, 04:41:22 AM
Read Maxwell Brooks
Zombie Survival and World War Z

I saw his books at B&N a month or so ago. Sadly, I was there for alternative purposes...  ::)
[color=black]"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz[/color]

the Hat

Quote from: akumabito on May 30, 2008, 11:54:00 AM
...I wonder if zombies are edible...

no, their flesh is poisonous. It kills you almost immediately. Check the guide if you doubt me.
[color=black]"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz[/color]