News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Zombie defense/survival

Started by Gentlemens Handbook, January 16, 2008, 07:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armydillo978

I've thought of the moat/pit as well, but as I read in "The Morningstar Strain: Plague of
the Dead", this may not work so well in practice.  When the zombies are trying to cross the canal, as more and more zombies fall in and fill the gap, eventually the later arriving ones will just walk across the bodies and reach up to get ya. 

It may not be so bad if your in an area with few zombies, but I would think in a highly populated and infected area; you might need to come up with a way to clean the moat/pit/gap out.     I would think fire would be a good cleanser if you can make the moat/pit/gap set far enough forward to keep the flames from contacting the structure behind it.
----------------------
"Sometimes you roll the dice and come up with craps."

Phoenix0879

That's why I added the caveat of "not indefinitely", as you point out eventually numbers would win. But what it would do is give you breathing room, even if only a few weeks in which to prepare sufficiently to move to a new location, which provided it is done properly is probably the best defense, as it prevents a build-up of undead around you. Or you could just go and sit on one of the Orkney Islands  :)

It's not a permanent measure and I would never propose it as such, but then again hardly anything outside of a government nuclear fallout shelter would be long term enough to last out an undead pandemic - and those have the problem of being sealed off completely so you wouldn't know whether the situation had come to a close or not: you could open the door to find a hundred zombies waiting for their canned dinner!
"Great Muppety Odin"

Armydillo978

And as the zombie population is "thinned" out, it'll be easier.   I guess the crunch would be just during the initial outbreak.  Unless you get a few busloads of tourist zombies coming through to repopulate the area.  :)
----------------------
"Sometimes you roll the dice and come up with craps."

Phoenix0879

Hmmm, new business opportunity there, methinks - "Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains touuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurs"
"Great Muppety Odin"

akumabito

Fill the moat with loads of piranhas? If those evil fishies consume the zombies, they would potentially turn into zombie piranhas, but wouldn't that just be even better? They'd just become even more aggressive, plus they'll never die! As long as they don't evolve lungs and legs, they'd be a pretty damn fine security system against zombies.. :D

GarethG

Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on September 02, 2008, 08:52:27 PM
Can we shoot the welsh if they stray onto the village green, sire?

Just you try it....
You, sir! Make an effort!

Doctor When

Quote from: akumabito on February 09, 2009, 06:22:52 PMFill the moat with loads of piranhas?

Hmm - not keen on that form of defence.

Pirahnas are indeed carrion scavengers, but I'm not certain how "gamey" they like their carrion - particularly ripe cadavers might not be terribly appetising.

It is unfortunate that the "James Bond Villain" species of Pirahna isn't really terribly accurate - a boiling mass of fishies stripping a man to the bone in seconds is a bit of a Hollywoodism. Assuming your cadaver is alone and palatable he might get a few bites, but will doubtless emerge on the other side of your moat intact enough to be a threat.

Plus, you'd need an awful lot of hungry pirahnas to ensure they didn't get bored after meal No. 1.

Additionaly, one good winter here in northern Europe would probably be a bad thing for our tropical chums.

Quote from: GarethG on February 09, 2009, 07:09:28 PM
Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on September 02, 2008, 08:52:27 PM
Can we shoot the welsh if they stray onto the village green, sire?

Just you try it....

Precisely.

I believe that's only allowed on a market day after sunset.
Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!

flimflam

piranhas would never work you need a crocodile :P
hola senoro

Capt_Zaphod

Thought I'd share these "Zombie Survival Check Sheets", that I found, by Operative274:

For the guys --> [link]
For the ladies --> [http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7104/zombiesurvivalsheetfema.jpg][link][/url]
And for anyone who wants the original --> [link]

Would love to see everyone's version of this.  I'm working on one now ...

Drake White

Quote from: akumabito on February 09, 2009, 06:22:52 PM
Fill the moat with loads of piranhas? If those evil fishies consume the zombies, they would potentially turn into zombie piranhas, but wouldn't that just be even better? They'd just become even more aggressive, plus they'll never die! As long as they don't evolve lungs and legs, they'd be a pretty damn fine security system against zombies.. :D

I'm with Doctor When on the piranhas.

So that's why I'm proposing we enter into a biological research program, Genetically Engineered Super Maggots!
Maggots love rotten meat, the the rottier the better, yet never harm living tissue. The perfect moat filling material!

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

But what about the damn flies?
Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com

Drake White

Quote from: Sean Patrick O-Byrne on March 07, 2009, 06:49:25 PM
But what about the damn flies?

Ahh.. Maybe genetic self destruct?

That or
Spoiler: ShowHide

Dusza Beben

Worse yet, brain eating ZOMBIE FLIES!

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"

Rowan of Rin

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!