News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Post Pictures of Your Home

Started by Orlando, April 01, 2008, 04:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Von Gast

Quote from: HAC on May 09, 2008, 01:41:34 AM
Quote from: Professor Fzz on May 09, 2008, 01:30:00 AM
Quote from: HAC on May 09, 2008, 12:35:16 AM
Only thing I have ever found a bit odd (at least to my eye) is why, in the days of steam, British locos didn't really have large headlamps, as we did here in NA, but only those small oil lamps,  used as train-type or route indicator markers. Must have been a bit hard for the drivers at night, to say the least.

I've always assumed it was because it's much less wild here, so it's unlikely anything large enough to be seen from a speeding train in time to stop would actually get on the track in the first place.  Unless it's another train.  And then you're more likely to see the signal light or the tail light of another train if you don't have a bright light spoiling your night vision.

That make's sense. There are stretches out here where I wouldn't want to run without lots of light out front(our current locos have a dual beam headlight, and two spotlights mounted lower down, on either side of the frame, these are called ditch lights). These throw a pretty good beam. As far as wild, well,  I know that hitting a moose (it happens) can ruin your day at work, as it were...

Cheers
Harold

I think we're now starting to see that setup here. For some time a single high-intensity headlight has been retrofitted to older locos, and I think the newest locos come with two lighting patterns - daytime marker lights and more powerful night lighting. Mind you, despite drivers hating the things the big freight operators here have been buying Class 66s (basically an SD-something cut down to fit into our loading gauge, apparently the build quality is very poor and they've basically picked all the wrong options) so I'm not entirely surprised they arrive with a North American-style lighting setup.

Hester

I've been enjoying scrolling through the earlier posts in this thread and seeing everyone's homes.

I've posted this previously (in the Murdoch Mysteries thread), but here is my house:

And here I am yesterday saying hello in the front garden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CocGiD3KbbQ

(Sorry for the overexposure, we accidentally left the backlight filter on.)

I'll try to take some photos of the interior and post them later.
"Ta, darling!  I'll bring it back when I'm finished with it!
(If I'm not too drunk to remember where I got it.)

Hester

Well, here are some shots of the interior of my house:

Spoiler: ShowHide

Living Room:

Original Fireplace:

Dining Room Chandelier (modern, made in Montreal)

Art Deco "Waterfall Veneer" China cabinet:

Original Iron-Filigree Cold-Air-Return Grate:

Bannister:

Japanese fan & (new) brass ceiling fixture in my office:

markf

Wow Ms H, that is a great house.  markf
US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd

Hester

Quote from: markf on June 10, 2008, 07:46:23 PM
Wow Ms H, that is a great house.  markf

Thanks, Mark!  Love your goggles, btw.

SalieriAAX

Hester, your house is beautiful!

This is mine - a bit ostentatious, I'm afraid, and some of you may have seen it in a different post as part of a discussion about inappropriate house names.

More beneath here with captions:

The red-brick facade was added in the mid to late 18th Century to make the house look 'stately'

This detail shows part of the original 15th Century farm house, including extremely mossy lawn (taken last summer, I'm pretty much on top of the moss now)

Another shot showing the old bit, the new bit, and my car.

None so knowing as he
At brewing a jorum of tea
Haha Haha
A pretty stiff jorum of tea

JingleJoe

Quote from: SalieriAAX on June 10, 2008, 10:03:08 PM

This is mine - a bit ostentatious, I'm afraid, and some of you may have seen it in a different post as part of a discussion about inappropriate house names.

The red-brick facade was added in the mid to late 18th Century to make the house look 'stately'

This detail shows part of the original 15th Century farm house, including extremely mossy lawn (taken last summer, I'm pretty much on top of the moss now)

How do you get a huge and fantastic house like that !? What did you do, rob a bank? :D I jest I jest, but seriously do we have a millionaire in our midst ;D ?
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

SalieriAAX

Quote from: JingleJoe on June 10, 2008, 10:14:54 PM

How do you get a huge and fantastic house like that !? What did you do, rob a bank? :D I jest I jest, but seriously do we have a millionaire in our midst ;D ?

Oh, no, nothing like that really.  Family farm and, well, you know what farmers are - big house, no money etc.
None so knowing as he
At brewing a jorum of tea
Haha Haha
A pretty stiff jorum of tea

Zwack

Never mind the house I want the Morris Minor.... :D

My mum used to drive one until she decided that she was too old to drive safely and sold it cheaply to someone who said he wanted it...  He didn't take good care of it.  :(

Z.
"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.

JingleJoe

Quote from: SalieriAAX on June 10, 2008, 10:21:29 PM
Quote from: JingleJoe on June 10, 2008, 10:14:54 PM

Oh, no, nothing like that really.  Family farm and, well, you know what farmers are - big house, no money etc.
Ah yes I know how it is :) I can recall visiting a few farms as a child, huge houses but the farmers looked very patchwork ;D
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

Lady Penelope

My house isn't all that steampunk, I'm afraid, but it does sort of have that 20th Century Mission Medieval vibe going for it, in the living room anyway.   :D

Hester

Mr. Salieri -- your house is amazing!  (And we thought your garden was impessive!)

Mr. H. also covets the car.

Do you have servants?  If not, who cleans all those rooms? 

Speaking of rooms -- what does the interior look like?

And Lady Penelope -- you have a very nice Bohemian vibe to your decor.  It looks quite cozy and welcoming!

Lady Penelope

Quote from: Hester on June 10, 2008, 10:48:08 PM

There are several quite lovely shots of Mr. Salieri's bathroom, if you happen upon the right threads.  The wallpaper is especially noteworthy....  :D

And thank you...my decor is a bit eclectic, but then again, so am I.   ;)

Hester

Quote from: Lady Penelope on June 10, 2008, 10:51:47 PM
Quote from: Hester on June 10, 2008, 10:48:08 PM

There are several quite lovely shots of Mr. Salieri's bathroom, if you happen upon the right threads.  The wallpaper is especially noteworthy....  :D

Oh, yes ... and his ... wrench!

phinz

Very large post. My house isn't "steamy" by far, but it's home. It's a 1963 basement rancher that's all ours. We love it.

My basement "tiki" bar, Trader Scott's.

One of our costumes.

The driveway

Den renovation

Get out of my kitchen!

My wife's domain

Front hall

Living room

Back yard/rear porch/patio

Front of house

My domain

Hester

Quote from: phinz on June 11, 2008, 01:34:29 AM
Very large post. My house isn't "steamy" by far, but it's home. It's a 1963 basement rancher that's all ours. We love it.

My basement "tiki" bar, Trader Scott's.

Love the Tiki Bar! [I need a cocktail!] And your "wrought iron" screen door.  And the milk-painted furniture in the living room.

phinz

Thanks. The chest in the middle of the room is actually the sea chest that my wife's great grandfather used when he immigrated to the United States. It's an amazing piece of furniture. When we had a guy come in to repair another of our antiques, he walked past the turn-of-the-century display case, the secretary that you see in the corner, the Art Deco bronze butler station and a couple of other pieces and went straight to that blocky chunk of wood, gushing about it. It made us very happy to see an expert react in that way.

Lady Penelope

OK, I'm drooling over the Star Wars collection....   :D

phinz

Quote from: Lady Penelope on June 11, 2008, 03:58:56 AM
OK, I'm drooling over the Star Wars collection....   :D

That's actually an old picture... There are several more pieces added now. My book collection has grown as well. I'm up to about 1200 books, give or take 100 or so, including the entire Star Wars Expanded Universe in paperback. There are also two AT-AT Driver costumes, a custom Mandalorian costume, two Imperial Officer costumes, four partially assembled clonetrooper costumes and a General Veers costume in the house. I also have a Helion Prime Guard (also from Chronicles of Riddick, like my Necromonger) on a mannequin. I need about 10 more mannequins to display everything.  ::)

You should see my friends' Star Wars collections. They're insane.

Lady Penelope

I read the original SW: EU books when they were being published by Ballantine/DelRey (I think), but only caught a few of the later series that started with Vector Prime.  It got to the point where I had to choose whether to continue with the book collection or to keep the children, since I didn't have the money or the space to keep both.   ;D

cefriedl

I'm so terribly jealous of all of the cool houses. I live in military housing from the 1950's. Every house looks identical and is painted this rather depressing shade of tannish/brown and you can tell a billion people have lived here. It is rather bare too, I suppose that is what happens when you get married straight out of college, heck we just got our couch a few weeks ago and we've lived here for 6 months. We own nothing steampunk although my husband has grand plans for his office/library when we buy our own house.

The last house we lived in at Frostburg (where we went to school) was fairly cool. It was built around 1905, The kitchen had a 1950's cast iron counter unit and sink. Part of the basement was dirt. I loved the tall windows we had but we paid out the butt for heating. There was a lot of pretty wood work that had somehow survived the famed wild parties of Frostburg (When I would tell people I went to Frostburg they immediately replied with "I hear that is a huge party school")

My dream is to one day completely refurbish a Victorian house. I know a big undertaking but luckily my dad is a construction wiz. I mean Framing, Electricity, Plumbing, metal working, mechanics (seriously Helicopters,Airplanes,Cars, motorcycles) if something is broken he is your man so he can guide me through the process.

Orlando

Thank you to everyone who has posted.

Quote from: cefriedl on June 11, 2008, 08:59:01 PM
My dream is to one day completely refurbish a Victorian house.

There is a website: Period Property UK with a load of articles which may be of interest.
The Property of the Month section is nice to browse through (although the pictures are a bit on the small side).

Orlando.

Mrs. Sullivan

Well, as always I'm a bit late to the party, but have been on vacation this week and spent the other day rearranging the furniture and putting in a large Oriental carpet in the living room.  Found the carpet at the thrift store for $20, and I really like the way it makes the room look!  Our house is a tiny cottage built in 1946, we own it, one bedroom, living room, bath, kitchen, and a laundry room tacked on back with a nice fenced yard for the dogs.

Beginning at the front door in the living room, and heading clockwise...

Bookshelf and the door to the bedroom..

Inside the bedroom door, looking right...

Bedroom, looking to the left...

The bed (an old iron bedstead, belonged to my grandmother)...

Back out to the living room and continuing to Mr. Sullivan's corner...

Continuing clockwise, the opening to the kitchen, and dog Bernie on the sofa (handmade by Mr. Sullivan)...

The TV corner...

Another shot of the TV corner, showing the rug and dog Misty on her pet bed..

The cats chose not to participate in this photo opportunity.
Almost everything you see in our home is from the thrift store (even the dogs came from the shelter!).
I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!

J.F.Dawson

Nice to see all your photos! I always catch myself going through the rows of books sitting on shelves, deciphering and guessing titles. (That is also the first thing I am doing when visiting someone for the first time - books can tell you the hidden sides & darkest secrets about a person!)  :D

Quote from: phinz on June 11, 2008, 12:16:51 PM
... There are also two AT-AT Driver costumes, a custom Mandalorian costume, two Imperial Officer costumes, four partially assembled clonetrooper costumes and a General Veers costume in the house.

Mr. phinz, if I am ever dispatched to `Southeast of Disorder` (uhm, is that a nickname for New Jersey??  :D ) we should go on a pacifying stroll there. AT-AT Commanders rule!  ;)
'To Bring Light Into Darkness'

Hester

What a lovely, cozy cottage you have, Mrs. Sullivan!

Quote from: Mrs. Sullivan on June 20, 2008, 01:37:26 AM

Almost everything you see in our home is from the thrift store (even the dogs came from the shelter!).

Mr. Salieri and I were just discussing over in the "Ball Attire" thread what wonderful things can be found in thrift shops.

I particularly admire your Art Deco wireless set!  If I'm not mistaken, that's waterfall veneer.

Quote from: Mrs. Sullivan on June 20, 2008, 01:37:26 AM
The TV corner...

Was the antique radio a thrift shop find, or was it inherited? 

I assume it's now just decorative rather than functional, as you've placed a modern Bose wave radio atop it.  [Good sound, Bose.  I have a 12-year old slimline Bose stereo with mini cube speakers (which you'll see in the window of my living room picture).  The sound effectively fills the first two floors of our house.]