News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Post Pictures of Your Home

Started by Orlando, April 01, 2008, 04:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orlando

Thanks for posting Mrs. S - it's lovely.

Quote from: Mrs. Sullivan on June 20, 2008, 01:37:26 AM
The TV corner...

Quote from: J.F.Dawson on June 20, 2008, 11:07:39 AM
I always catch myself going through the rows of books sitting on shelves, deciphering and guessing titles. (That is also the first thing I am doing when visiting someone for the first time - books can tell you the hidden sides & darkest secrets about a person!)

I find myself doing the same thing with Pre-Raph paintings, only I feel so dull at the moment I'm not doing so well!

Ok, I've got "I am half-sick of shadows, said the Lady of Shalott" by John William Waterhouse by the curtain,
and "Night with her train of stars" by Edward Robert Hughes (left hand one of the three framed together)  (Lol has it in her bedroom).

Orlando.

Mrs. Sullivan

Thank you all for your comments!

Mr. Dawson - If you peruse our shelves, you'll see a lot of Steven King - the "Dark Tower" series is a favorite of Mr. Sullivan.

Hester - The wireless set is a thrift store find (I believe we paid $20 for it) and it does indeed work!  The Bose Wave radio is the CD player/radio model, so we have it for playing compact discs.  It fills the house with sound!

Orlando - I am quite enamored of the Pre-Raphaelites! (If you notice carefully, the two small framed pictures are not pre-Raphaelite miniatures, but photos of Mr. Sullivan and myself at a Renaissance Faire, and a photo of my parents!)  :) The label on the large painting states that it is "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" by Sir Frank Dicksee.  The two small paintings above Mr. Sullivan's chair in another picture are  watercolors I have painted.  ;)
I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!

Hester

Quote from: Orlando on June 20, 2008, 03:06:00 PM
Ok, I've got "I am half-sick of shadows, said the Lady of Shalott" by John William Waterhouse Orlando.

I've seen the original of that painting, Orlando, housed at the Art Gallery of Ontario, here in Toronto.
"Ta, darling!  I'll bring it back when I'm finished with it!
(If I'm not too drunk to remember where I got it.)

Mal `e Diction

Your house, Mrs. Sullivan, is very lovely. I especially like the wine and dark green colors in your living room. We also share a love for the Pre-Raphaelites, and some of the same prints that you have on your walls, are also on mine. I also have a small collection of books on the PRs.

As for books, if I go into someone's home and see no books, I find it a bit scary. No books! :o

Gypsy time-traveler acquiring intergalactic artifacts for the purpose of lucrative, clandestine remuneration—Pyrate!.

Bombardier on the Columbia's Revenge airship.

Orlando

Looking at these last few posts again.....

Quote from: Hester on June 20, 2008, 11:55:21 AM
Was the antique radio a thrift shop find, or was it inherited? 
I assume it's now just decorative rather than functional, as you've placed a modern Bose wave radio atop it.  [Good sound, Bose.  I have a 12-year old slimline Bose stereo with mini cube speakers (which you'll see in the window of my living room picture).  The sound effectively fills the first two floors of our house.]

Quote from: Mrs. Sullivan on June 20, 2008, 03:25:01 PM
The Bose Wave radio is the CD player/radio model, so we have it for playing compact discs.  It fills the house with sound!
I am quite enamored of the Pre-Raphaelites! (If you notice carefully, the two small framed pictures are not pre-Raphaelite miniatures, but photos of Mr. Sullivan and myself at a Renaissance Faire, and a photo of my parents!)  :) The label on the large painting states that it is "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" by Sir Frank Dicksee.  The two small paintings above Mr. Sullivan's chair in another picture are  watercolors I have painted.  ;)

Quote from: Hester on June 20, 2008, 03:30:24 PM
Quote from: Orlando on June 20, 2008, 03:06:00 PM
Ok, I've got "I am half-sick of shadows, said the Lady of Shalott" by John William Waterhouse Orlando.
I've seen the original of that painting, Orlando, housed at the Art Gallery of Ontario, here in Toronto.

Quote from: Mal `e Diction on June 20, 2008, 03:50:34 PM
Your house, Mrs. Sullivan, is very lovely. I especially like the wine and dark green colors in your living room. We also share a love for the Pre-Raphaelites, and some of the same prints that you have on your walls, are also on mine. I also have a small collection of books on the PRs.

I've often looked at The Bose Wave/Radio/CD and wondered just how good they are - the sound is said to be exceptional from such a small thing. I've never spoken to anyone who actually had one.

I wondered if Mrs. Sullivan's large print was a "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" but the one I know is this one by John William Waterhouse. (Keat's poem is shown below).  I also thought it might be a Lancelot & Guinevere!

I love the Pre-Raphs but I haven't been able to get hold of a print of a particular favourite.
I posted this one in the "Vile Bodies" dirigible party thread.

John William Waterhouse "Ulysses and the Sirens".  Click on the thumbnail to see it bigly!

It hangs in the National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia but they don't sell prints of that one in their shop and neither do www.allposters.com so I might just send the NGV an email and ask them if they've ever thought of offering it.

Girlfriend Lol and me both have prints of "Lilith" by John Collier.
She has hers framed over the mantelpiece in the front room, but mine is still in its cardboard tube.
It's just a bit too . . . . . . (hunts for the right word). . . . . . for me to have downstairs!

Instead I've got "Coming from Evening Church" by Samuel Palmer.

Well, what am I supposed to do?  What if the local vicar was to call for a cup of tea and a cucumber sandwich?

Orlando.

Professor Fzz

I always catch myself going through the rows of books sitting on shelves, deciphering and guessing titles. (That is also the first thing I am doing when visiting someone for the first time - books can tell you the hidden sides & darkest secrets about a person!)  :D

I do that too, but you have to be careful about any conclusions reached.  We have about five thousand books; that's enough that we can be pretty selective about which ones are in the more visible bookshelves  :) 
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. -  Thomas H. Huxley

OldProfessorBear

Hester - The wireless set is a thrift store find (I believe we paid $20 for it) and it does indeed work!  The Bose Wave radio is the CD player/radio model, so we have it for playing compact discs.  It fills the house with sound!

Heh! Now I know what happened to my dad's old radio! It's a Crosley, is it not? With shortwave capability?

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org

phinz

Mr. phinz, if I am ever dispatched to `Southeast of Disorder` (uhm, is that a nickname for New Jersey??  :D ) we should go on a pacifying stroll there. AT-AT Commanders rule!  ;)

Laughing at the New Jersey comment... :D  It's actually a line from a Jimmy Buffett song:

Now away in the near future, southeast of disorder,
You can shake the hand of the mango man
As he greets you at the border.

Nice to hear from a fellow Armored Cavalry denizen.  ;D

Mrs. Sullivan

Quote from: OldProfessorBear on June 21, 2008, 12:16:43 PM

Heh! Now I know what happened to my dad's old radio! It's a Crosley, is it not? With shortwave capability?

I had to check with Mr. Sullivan on this one, but you are spot on!  It is indeed a Crosley and has shortwave capability (which we have not been able to try, since we are lacking a proper antenna).

I would love to find the radio of my youth...as I recall, it was one of those massive cabinet models that sits on the floor...an Emerson, I believe.
I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!

OldProfessorBear

Quote from: Mrs. Sullivan on June 22, 2008, 06:00:58 PM
Quote from: OldProfessorBear on June 21, 2008, 12:16:43 PM

I had to check with Mr. Sullivan on this one, but you are spot on!  It is indeed a Crosley and has shortwave capability (which we have not been able to try, since we are lacking a proper antenna).

I would love to find the radio of my youth...as I recall, it was one of those massive cabinet models that sits on the floor...an Emerson, I believe.

Ah! We at one time had one like that, think it was a Philco. I guess it went out when the TV came in (around 1951). The Crosley lived in the kitchen, mostly. Some years later I acquired a floor model of my own for tinkering purposes, and finally tinkered it to death.

I suppose there's a chance the Crosley is still in my mom's house somewhere. Will have to ask her some time.
Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org

Prof Eumides Blakehurst

Quote from: Mrs. Sullivan on June 20, 2008, 01:37:26 AM
Back out to the living room and continuing to Mr. Sullivan's corner...
Spoiler: ShowHide

I do love the colour for the walls. And the shelf/sconce thingos (for want of a correct name!).

And I can see why you had to have the carpet!
There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.

Brass Alchemist

Quote from: Honeythorn on April 03, 2008, 06:15:48 PM
My lovely darling room. The spine is called Jeremy.

Wow. You would definitely be an interesting person to meet...

InquisitorLordKain

ooo...weapons collection...I have a knife collection, and a sword, and hatchet, but I dont have a job yet otherwise I'd have plenty more...Wonderfull pictures Honeythorn, I agree with Brass Alchemist.
The Inquisition has cometh, behold The Apocalypse as she purges these lands with unholy cannonfire!

Brass Alchemist

Quote from: Orlando on June 21, 2008, 05:19:26 AM
I love the Pre-Raphs but I haven't been able to get hold of a print of a particular favourite.

I have noticed we have quite a few Pre-Raph fans in here. I can understand how fans of victorian science fiction would also be fan of Victorian art. I am a fan of them as well. I got to see a lot of originals on my last trip to England at the Tate Gallery in London. I was very dissappointed to discover that Millais' "Ophelia" was on tour overseas when I visited.

Prof Eumides Blakehurst

Quote from: Brass Alchemist on June 23, 2008, 08:03:22 PM
have noticed we have quite a few Pre-Raph fans in here. I can understand how fans of victorian science fiction would also be fan of Victorian art. I am a fan of them as well. I got to see a lot of originals on my last trip to England at the Tate Gallery in London. I was very dissappointed to discover that Millais' "Ophelia" was on tour overseas when I visited.

The pre-Raphaelites and the whole Arts and Crafts movement fits into the Steampunk ethos very well. The A&C movement was all about hand-crafted items that suited the taste of the recipient without sacrificing function. So a steampunk computer mod fits the bill perfectly: handcrafted, suits the person who will own it and the functionality of the computer is still there.

Then again, some of the 'abstracts' of 20th century art - Mondrian and Kandinsky spring to mind - would also be very steampunky if the subject matter were based on gears rather than squares! If the steampunk culture is retro-imagining physical items (computers, MP3 players, zeppelins) into it's lifestyle, why not retro-fit 20th century art ?

Sorry, off topic musing there. But yes, the pre-Raphaelites are lovely, along with the textiles and woodwork of the A&C.
There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.

Von Gast

Just added another replica poster/canvas/thing to my room:

Victoria The Mistress

Is there a word for being excited in a slightly unseemly way about wallpaper?????

Von Gast, your taste is superb!

(The print is lovely too. But the wallpaper! The wallpaper!)

Herr Döktor

Oh YES! Tell us about the wallpaper, I know a young lady that wants something similar for her boudoir!

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Only here could I ever bring myself to mention that that indeed is nice wallpaper...

Orlando

Mr. Von Gast has posted other views showing the excellent wallpaper: here and here.

Orlando.

Victoria The Mistress

Thank you for your assistance kind Sir....

Am positively squirming with wallpaper induced pleasure!!

Laverna Lovett~

i just recently found this thread, and i'm glad i did! here are some pictures of my home.

the steampunkiest room in my house is probably the study...it's actually Civil War themed, but it has an air of steampunk in it.

the picture on the wall is authentic Confederate money, and the things in the glass case were collected by my father. The picture i'm holding in my hand is an antique wallet from the time period.

now here's some more rooms:

the little nutcracker is something my brother got me when he went to Germany, and the little blue dragon next to him is named Archimedes.  The big dragon is named Virofax ^_^ i sincerely apologize for the excessive amout of pictures...i didn't realize how many there were until i started putting them up here.

Abraxas

nice Jack London and Harper Lee... I do hope kids these days are still reading these sorts of thing.

Laverna Lovett~

haha thank you ^_^ i do love to read. White Fang was very good, i absolutely adored it, and To Kill A Mockingbird is an old southern favorite. However, i don't think most people my age read unless forced, which is a very sad thing indeed.

Von Gast

Thanks - the wallpaper came from Focus DIY (or whatever they called themselves). Bought it at a hefty discount from my nearest store when they were closing down, unfortunately as I understand it all the Focus stores have now gone. I just haunted the big DIY chains until something suitable presented itself really, and for once was in the right place at the right time.