News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Post Pictures of Your Home

Started by Orlando, April 01, 2008, 04:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ampère Volt

I love those radiator build around designs at the DIY's here that can be really nice and easy to put together.
Pardon my English, for this is something I really don't know to explain in English lol.
http://www.houtpaleis.nl/radiator.htm
http://www.radiatorombouw.nl/

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
<i>Oscar Wilde</i>
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
<i>Charlotte Bronte</i>

Von Gast

We do have something similar downstairs, hiding the radiator in the living room. It doesn't have the lattice-style front but apart from that it's very similar.

I would have liked to replace it with a 1905-era radiator but I don't think this place got central heating until sometime in the '70s. We've not found any signs of town (coal) gas fittings although this town did have a gasworks until natural gas took over.

I did find the wiring for the bell that would originally have summoned a servant. Unfortunately the pushbutton is missing in this room (others in the house still exist), the whereabouts of the other end of the wires is unknown, and there are no staff to answer them anyway!

Ottens

Here's a photograph of a wonderful room -- unfortunately, not one in my apartment, but perfectly steampunk nonetheless:

Spoiler: ShowHide

NEVER WAS MAGAZINE: Steampunk, dieselpunk, retro-futurism and alternate history.

Ampère Volt

That is a nice room! Wonderful beams and ceiling too!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
<i>Oscar Wilde</i>
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
<i>Charlotte Bronte</i>

J.F.Dawson

I love the lamp/ventilator-combination, wonder if it is based on a piece that actually existed a hundred years ago...
'To Bring Light Into Darkness'

Miss Pixie

Quote from: TristanRenn on April 02, 2008, 08:26:42 PM
Quote from: Miss Pixie on April 02, 2008, 08:12:00 AM
Nothing steampunky, and you said not to tidy up, but here it is, my room:

And this little guy does not yet have a name:

I would call him Conesy (cone-zee), though I suppose that name would not fit such a dapper, gentlemanly looking fellow. Duke Conesington mayhap?

I like that, though I think I'll change it to Lord Conesington, as it seems to flow better. Thanks :)

~Miss Pixie
We're all here because we're not all there.

TristanRenn

Quote from: Miss Pixie on April 03, 2008, 12:41:22 AM
Quote from: TristanRenn on April 02, 2008, 08:26:42 PM
Quote from: Miss Pixie on April 02, 2008, 08:12:00 AM
Nothing steampunky, and you said not to tidy up, but here it is, my room:

And this little guy does not yet have a name:

I would call him Conesy (cone-zee), though I suppose that name would not fit such a dapper, gentlemanly looking fellow. Duke Conesington mayhap?

I like that, though I think I'll change it to Lord Conesington, as it seems to flow better. Thanks :)

~Miss Pixie

Glad to be of assistance, Miss. :)

Lingerie McFilibuster

Oh my! Such lovely, tidy homes! My room pales in comparison to the images posted thus far!

Well, you said not to clean up, so I didn't. Here is my room, in its cluttered, trinket filled state:

The door:

The window and desk:

The bed:

And yet another corner where sundry matter accumulates:

It looks much better when everything is in its place, obviously. Some things are steampunk, some are just curiosities, and some are necessary modern items.

What do you think?

Orlando

All these wonderful images make my own attempts at decor look jejune
so I took the camera and tripod to Lol's house.

I'm still trying to get a decent photograph out of the little Olympus.
I think I've tried all the modes under various lighting conditions
but I'm not happy with the camera,
so I hope the pictures will at least give you an idea of what Lol's place is like.

This is the back room which would have been the kitchen when the house was built 100+ years ago.
Note the state-of-the-art laundry drying apparatus.
Lol uses this as a day room.

And this is the front room,
(originally, the parlor - used for conversation or the reception of guests)
which is now used as a sitting room in the evening. 

Orlando.

Orlando

I've finally sat down to have a good look through the posts.

GabrielCrimson

Is that a panorama shot ?
My little Olumpus FE210/X775 uses the xD type memory card.
If you buy an Olympus brand card you can use the camera's panorama function (it's a "vendor lock-in" strategy).
I've never used it though.
I don't really care for the camera - it came free with a shortlived black MacBook (I now have a ThinkPad).
However you made the picture, that looks like a good size room with serious tech and a dining area.
Wallpapering the chimneybreast is a great way to break-up the wall and that's a nice paper.

Hieronimous Stonebender

I've just realised that the globe could be a drinks cabinet (glasses below) !
I love the bare floor.  People of the Nordic/Scandinavian countries seem to prefer rugs to fitted carpets.
Many years ago I had a Swedish girlfriend.  She told me that during the spring cleaning in the country areas, all the furniture, rugs, everything would be taken outside so that the floor could be properly swept.

Miss Pixie

Are you a Canadian expatriate ?
Is that a traffic cone ?
In Britain we often find traffic cones and road-signs in the morning in our houses, following a long night spent in a Public House.  Our best minds have been unable to explain the phenomenon and we thought that it just didn't occur elsewhere.

Professor Fzz

Leather, brass, copper, wood, big lens, instruments, books, science, filament lamps, blacklight....
Just sink into the armchair with a drink and enjoy the quiet and all the things.
By the way, those big 500 V 1uF Metal-Polyprop Capacitors from Maplin - if it's not too much capacitance,
there is also a 2uF 440 V Motor Run Capacitor with spade terminals and a threaded mounting lug - cheap, compact, easy to mount (I'm building a ladder).   I was intending to use a 1Mohm bleeder resistor across it.

Von Gast

Are those the original deep skirting-boards and picture rail ?
Looks like original door furniture too.
Don't know what you mean about "stuck with the curtains" though - they look identical to the curtains I bought from IKEA last month !  Mine being a house for small people, they touch floor and ceiling here.

Ottens

That looks like it could be a new building - there is something very modern about it as if there was a minimalist influence.  But I know nothing of Dutch architecture.
Incidentally, my cousin is married to a Van Steijn from your country.

Lingerie McFilibuster

Hello again, Ma'am.
That is some palace of stuff !
Thank goodness there are others who are busy with several things at once
and need to have everything to hand.
I'm guessing you may be into Graphic Design, or Wood, Metal and Plastics - not quite sure what you call it in the States (art with a commercial bias).
But I hope you don't need to sleep in that bed !

Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Orlando.

GabrielCrimson

Von Gast

Yes, the picture rail, doors, skirting boards etc are all originals. Luckily the house survived the manglings of the '60s and '70s as it was owned by a local Optician, who didn't change anything. I spent some time refurbishing the door furniture, mostly this involved cleaning spots of stray paint off and respraying the lock casing with black Hammerite before reassembling. The brass collars on the doorknobs were polished the lazy way, by clamping them in a drill chuck and rotating them against a bit of paper towel soaked in Brasso.

I think the curtains probably came with us from our last house. The one over the smaller window is apparently supposed to be a door curtain hence there only being one of them.

Professor Fzz

Quote from: Orlando on April 03, 2008, 05:54:04 AM
Professor Fzz

Leather, brass, copper, wood, big lens, instruments, books, science, filament lamps, blacklight....
Just sink into the armchair with a drink and enjoy the quiet and all the things.

Thank you!  I wish I could enjoy the quiet, but when I sink into the armchair with a nice scotch, usually I start dreaming up some new crazy thing to build.  I'm working on a 200,000V Marx generator at the moment, but I keep blowing the resistors.  Anyone know of a place to get 10KV 470KOhm resistors from (or something similar)?

By the way, those big 500 V 1uF Metal-Polyprop Capacitors from Maplin - if it's not too much capacitance,
there is also a 2uF 440 V Motor Run Capacitor with spade terminals and a threaded mounting lug - cheap, compact, easy to mount (I'm building a ladder).   I was intending to use a 1Mohm bleeder resistor across it.

I would expect that would work fine - it's not finely tuned to the capacitance.  I've tried a 0.1uF capacitor, and you just get shorter sparks, exactly as you'd expect.  With 2uF, current will flow for longer, but my coil doesn't seem to get hot, so it's unlikely to be a problem.    I'm interested to see if you get a longer spark - I get just under an inch spark between two contacts (longer of course at the top of the ladder). If you get about the same then presumably the field has already reached its maximum with 1uF, and with 2uF the extra energy is being dissipated in the coil.  But I've not idea how close 1uF is to the optimum.  The bleeder resistor is a good idea.  My current test version only connects the bleeder resistor when you switch off, but with 1MOhm leaving it connected should be no issue.
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. -  Thomas H. Huxley

Miss Pixie

Miss Pixie

Are you a Canadian expatriate ?
Is that a traffic cone ?
In Britain we often find traffic cones and road-signs in the morning in our houses, following a long night spent in a Public House.  Our best minds have been unable to explain the phenomenon and we thought that it just didn't occur elsewhere.

I've never even been to Canada, I just happen to have a Canadian flag beach towel on my wall. And I have been known to shout "Don't you get it? If you die in Canada, you die in REAL LIFE!" at the slightest mention of Canada.

Ah, that reminds me of a Red Dwarf quote:
Lister: "We're on a mining ship, three million years into deep space. Can someone explain to me where the smeg I got this traffic cone?"
The Cat: "Hey, it's not a good night unless you get a traffic cone. It's the policewoman's helmet and the suspenders I don't understand."
I got it on from a front yard on Halloween ;D The face and hat came later.

~Miss Pixie
We're all here because we're not all there.

MechanicalMouse

This thread makes me so sad  :'(

I used to live in Nottingham. We had this Beautiful Victorian corner house. It used to be a antiques shop and was massive. The previous owner had lime plastered the walls of the halls. The floor was original tiles, one of the bedrooms was swapped with the bathroom giving it a massive bathroom with a rolltop bath. There was also a wood burning stove in the kitchen.

I'll have to find some old photos and scan in.

Anyhow, while the building was heaven, outside was starting to become no mans land. There where a couple of nasty gangs in the area, so we decided to move.

I'm just glad we sold it to a nice couple and they've kept the spirit of the house.

Now we live in an 80's abomination, but the area is much nicer.

Orlando

Well, you've heard the phrase "Location, location, location".
It really is everything.

Lingerie McFilibuster

Lingerie McFilibuster

Hello again, Ma'am.
That is some palace of stuff !
Thank goodness there are others who are busy with several things at once
and need to have everything to hand.
I'm guessing you may be into Graphic Design, or Wood, Metal and Plastics - not quite sure what you call it in the States (art with a commercial bias).
But I hope you don't need to sleep in that bed !

Orlando.

Indeed, I do have everything out at once. It was clean last week, but I started a project, and then another... you get the drift. I'm not sure what to call my art/projects either. Most of them are either sewing or transforming stuff into other weirder but nicer looking things. The bed is actually clear, it is just unmade and has a box on it! Silly horizontal surfaces, collecting all my stuff!

Honeythorn

My lovely darling room. The spine is called Jeremy.

<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·

giskard

Honeythorn,

I could imagine Giger getting some inspiration from your room  8)

Correus

;) ;)

I like the lamp sconce.

Herr Döktor

Quote from: Honeythorn on April 03, 2008, 06:15:48 PM
My lovely darling room. The spine is called Jeremy.

Jeremy? After Clarkson or Vine? :)

Honeythorn

Haha, neither. It was a random choice by mother.  :D
<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·

Herr Döktor

Phew! I have to admit that I'm quite glad it wasn't either of them! :D

Jemima Annabelle Clough

I was more concerned it might have been named after the late Beadle...
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire