News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Post Pictures of Your Home

Started by Orlando, April 01, 2008, 04:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herr Döktor

Or the frog in the 'Tale of Jeremy Fisher'!

Orlando

Oh Ma'am Honeythorn, where have you been all these years!
The number of times I've typed (goth OR gothic) AND (interior decoration OR design OR decor) into search engines,
and all I ever used to find was the Gothic Martha Stewart.

Your post came at a particularly opportune time as last night I saw (for the umpteenth time) the episode of The IT Crowd in which we are introduced to Richmond.

Many years ago I visited a friend who lives in Leeds and we went out with his mates to a pub and then one of the members of the Mission (or was it Red Lorry Yellow Lorry) came in. Everyone was so cool: "Oh look it's ______", "Huh, he's back then".  I asked my pal who it was, and I was like "Will we ask him for his autograph?" and everyone was like "No" in scournful voices.  Yer man from the band was just one of the locals!

So, after we had finished our game of beers we went back to this guy Phil's house.  Phil was skinny like me but very tall with black back-combed hair, lots of hairspray, very gentle and soft-spoken.  My pal had already told me that he had a black bedroom, so I was all set to be plunged into gloom and have all the lifeforce drawn from me.  It was really black too.  Matt black paint walls and ceiling, black curtains, black bedding, bare floorboards (more matt black paint).

I've told people about this before and mostly they shake their heads and talk about the walls coming in at them etc etc.  But, it was nothing like I imagined - it was really cosy.

Ah well, before anyone says "Hey old timer, tell us another story about the 80s"  I'll just find a picture to post.

Orlando.

Honeythorn

Oooooo the Mish? Who was it? Hussey? I hath stroked the arm of the Hussey... ;D

My room is really cosy actually. There isn't much space though because the bed takes up most of the room!  Also the aquarium adds light in the evenings before I switch it off. I wish I could have afforded to change my carpet though. It's a weird minty green colour and doesn't go with the room at all. I wish I could afford to move out into a place of my own  :-\
<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·

Hieronimous Stonebender

Quote from: Orlando on April 03, 2008, 05:54:04 AM

Hieronimous Stonebender

I've just realised that the globe could be a drinks cabinet (glasses below) !
I love the bare floor.  People of the Nordic/Scandinavian countries seem to prefer rugs to fitted carpets.
Many years ago I had a Swedish girlfriend.  She told me that during the spring cleaning in the country areas, all the furniture, rugs, everything would be taken outside so that the floor could be properly swept.

You are correct; the globe does indeed open to reveal a well stocked bar. I don't like neither carpets nor rugs... hardwood for me anyday. My grandparents used to do their springcleaning the way you describe, also a great way to get rid of any pests(mice or rats), never knew it was a scandinavian thing though...

Orlando

I don't know who it was, and I can't even remember the name of the pub.  I keep thinking of the Sheraton but I think that was just the name of club in "Dr Jeep" maybe.

I really missed old school goth - but I saw the Mission at the Brum NEC.

Orlando.

Orlando

Ah-ha, Perhaps we could have a picture of it open with the bottles on show.

I always thought the Swedish girl I knew was pulling my leg about the furniture going outside.   She also told me that she had holidays on an island in the Swedish archipelago where there was no electricity or proper bathroom so if you wanted to bathe, it was in the sea.

Orlando.

Orlando

I really must find a home for this little chap.

Orlando.

hereaftermouse

Oh my, these are some lovely houses. Honeythorn, I envy your various bones!

As for myself, I collect all sorts of odds and ends that end up in my room. Apologies for the unreasonable number of photos.
Spoiler: ShowHide

Lingerie McFilibuster

Quote from: hereaftermouse on April 04, 2008, 01:03:17 AM

As for myself, I collect all sorts of odds and ends that end up in my room. Apologies for the unreasonable number of photos.

I see that you have a string holder! I have one too:

Used in stores back when purchases were wrapped in brown paper, before plastic bags!

I like the way your room is arranged, with the bed in a little nook. Your collection is enviable, especially the old books, antiquarian technology and tea!

hereaftermouse

Quote from: Lingerie McFilibuster on April 04, 2008, 02:27:59 AM
Quote from: hereaftermouse on April 04, 2008, 01:03:17 AM

I see that you have a string holder! I have one too:

Used in stores back when purchases were wrapped in brown paper, before plastic bags!

I like the way your room is arranged, with the bed in a little nook. Your collection is enviable, especially the old books, antiquarian technology and tea!

I love that string holder! And I must say, no one every seems confused about what kind of tea I drink...

Lingerie McFilibuster

Hmmm, upon further inspection of your tea collection, I see three things:

1: They are mostly decaf.
2: You like flavored teas
3: The clear containers are filled with various and sundry items!

Should I be confused? I'm confused about being confused!

hereaftermouse

Quote from: Lingerie McFilibuster on April 04, 2008, 03:54:31 AM
Hmmm, upon further inspection of your tea collection, I see three things:

1: They are mostly decaf.
2: You like flavored teas
3: The clear containers are filled with various and sundry items!

Should I be confused? I'm confused about being confused!

actually, it is more diverse a tea collection than it usually is in that picture - it is probably 90% Ginger Peach Decaf

Hieronimous Stonebender

Quote from: Orlando on April 04, 2008, 12:35:21 AM
Ah-ha, Perhaps we could have a picture of it open with the bottles on show.

I always thought the Swedish girl I knew was pulling my leg about the furniture going outside.   She also told me that she had holidays on an island in the Swedish archipelago where there was no electricity or proper bathroom so if you wanted to bathe, it was in the sea.

Orlando.

Sure... Not the best pictures, but here they are... I have discovered that the spirits have been rearranged by aforementioned missus. Cherry liqueur, peppermint vodka and Galliano, are not affiliated with me...

I have been on islands of that description(I am half Swedish), and though it sounds rather primitive, it really is pleasant to get back to basics, once in a while.

Thaif

Seems as there's a grand spring weather out there I'll take some picks of the house & my apartment today now that the giant flaming blob of star that is our sun gives proper lighting.

Stay tuned.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. -Henry David Thoreau

A Shameless Plug.

Doctor Trakov

Perhaps I'll take pictures of my house.

Maggoty Anne

I live in my parents basement. This is excusable, considering I'm 16, but still unpleasant. My mother's junk is everywhere, and she wants to paint every room light blue. I have some nice stuff in my room though.
"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's
work is terribly important."
-Bertrand Russell

Thaif

And here I am again with pictures. I must warn that they are Big.

A side view of the monster.

Full Frontal.

Desk of the Master.

And a bit of room.

I might have taken more pictures, but I got bored. Mebbe I'll get around that.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. -Henry David Thoreau

A Shameless Plug.

Doctor Trakov

Von Gast

I've now moved in. Room slowly filling with stuff!

WisconsinPlatt

Orlando

Thanks to everyone who has posted.

hereaftermouse

I had to look up Timor-Leste to see where it is in the world.  You have some very nice things.  I wish I could find a brass candlestick telephone - a couple of people have them on the forum - is it in working order?   The bead curtain and the blue dressed skeleton next to the old books - are they pieces of local art ?

Hieronimous Stonebender

Very well stocked.  If you offered me a drink, I think I would ask for straight gin (with ice if available).

Maggoty Anne

If you have a camera, you could post a pic or two of any interesting antiques, ornaments, curios, collectables etc.  I think being in the basement could be preferable to being in the main part of the house - basements and cellars are rare in this country.  I know what you mean about light blue - I prefer warm colours.  And matt(e) 'Pure Brilliant White' is useful for working in when you need a lot of light or as a backdrop for art display, and then one can use dimmed coloured wall-wash lighting to completely change the mood for chilling-out.

Doctor Trakov

That is a lovely property.  When was it built ?
There is no magnolia in flower yet up in this wild northern place.

Thaif

There is still a lot of old snow !
I think you are painting Toy Soldiers - I was sure that this would not be the correct term for the hobby
so I looked up Toy Soldiers on Wikipedia and found that you share the interest with this notable gentleman.
By the way, I am listening to Värttinä at the moment.

Niin miun lempeni lentäköön
missä mun kultani kulkee
laulan tyrskyt tyyntymään
vaahot meren vaipumaan

Näiltä tuulilta tulevan
nähtävän näiltä ilmoin
missä mun kultani kulkee
mailla millä marjani

Von Gast

You'll have a busy weekend in front of you but please post some more pictures when you can.

I'll be taking a few more pictures at Lol's house over the weekend.
And I've just now remembered the name of that pub in Leeds - it was The Faversham.

Orlando.

hereaftermouse

Quote from: Orlando on April 05, 2008, 01:14:12 AM
Thanks to everyone who has posted.

hereaftermouse

I had to look up Timor-Leste to see where it is in the world.  You have some very nice things.  I wish I could find a brass candlestick telephone - a couple of people have them on the forum - is it in working order?   The bead curtain and the blue dressed skeleton next to the old books - are they pieces of local art ?

Actually, the whole Timor-Leste thing is a cruel lie. I live in California. The telephone works perfectly. The beaded curtain and skeleton are Día de los Muertos art - the skeleton came back with my mother from Mexico, and the curtain came from Buffalo Exchange :D

Orlando

I was thinking Mexico or Brazil or at least someplace where Catholicism has mixed with older beliefs.
I was thinking Timor & The Portugese, Brazil & The Portugese - why don't I just ask !?
My girlfriend has a Mexican mask with the same sort of Life/Death thing.  I'll get a pic of that too.

Orlando.

greenguzzi

Quote from: hereaftermouse on April 05, 2008, 03:08:11 AM
Actually, the whole Timor-Leste thing is a cruel lie. I live in California.
I got to visit Timor-Leste last year to do some work at Dili hospital. Interesting place. Very poor, but still a great place. The food was wonderful. Most of the people that I met were very friendly. I'd like to go back, but because of the recent violence my employer won't send me.

They are going through a difficult time (always have been I guess). They deserve a better deal than they are getting that's for sure.

Thaif

H.G Wells was a wargamer? Huh, guess I'll feel less stupid about that now. I and my comrades call them little doodz miniatures, as to not sound too childish.

Guess I'll have to take some pictures of the surroundings once summer kicks in. It's quite a lovely sight.

You did know that Värttinä did the music for the Lord of the Rings theatrical play?

A Shameless Plug.