News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Post Pictures of Your Home

Started by Orlando, April 01, 2008, 04:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Von Gast

It'll take me longer than the weekend at this rate - the piles in my old room don't appear to be shrinking in any meaningful way!

I did however find and buy a rather spiffy replica poster that might go down well here:

Luella Dobson

I have an apartment, and since I'm poor it's so minimalist it's not even funny. XD

My room is steaming up though, I salvaged my sister's 2007 antique maps calendar and I'm putting them up on my wall.

Here's my kitchen:
Spoiler: ShowHide

My living room:

And my room:

Don't let my room fool you, I cleaned it recently. :D My arts are EVRRYWHARRE. I have so much of it from school that i don't know what to do with it, so I just hang it up all over. XD
I'm so glad to have such an amazing place, my sister found it. place is freaking huge.
I'm a Jazzpunk.

General for the Study and Ultimate Disregard for the Laws of Universe through Strange and Ultimately Unfathomable Means

Anders

Very nice, Miss Luella; I see those old radiators fitting the aesthetic very nicely as the rest of the apartment comes along.  And do I spy a vintage NES console on your entertainment rack?  Very nice, indeed!

lilibat

We don't have the formal sitting room done well enough to post images, but here is my Victorian Hybrid (Asian) dining room which is meant to go well with the adjacent steampunk formal sitting room:

More images are here if interested:
http://www.threethirteen.net/x/house/castle_christgau/

Von Gast

I have almost finished moving in. More photos, with a carpet and furniture this time!

clairdelune

Quote from: Von Gast on April 06, 2008, 02:24:05 PM
I have almost finished moving in. More photos, with a carpet and furniture this time!

love the damask wallpaper and dragonfly lamp.

clairdelune

I need to take better/more detailed shots.  My house, as always,is a work in progress.

Herr Döktor

Quote from: clairdelune on April 06, 2008, 04:04:56 PM
I need to take better/more detailed shots.  My house, as always,is a work in progress.

Les Baxter album covers? AS ART?? That is is a mark of great genius, and great taste! :)

clairdelune

Quote from: Herr Döktor on April 06, 2008, 04:09:09 PM
Quote from: clairdelune on April 06, 2008, 04:04:56 PM

Les Baxter album covers? AS ART?? That is is a mark of great genius, and great taste! :)
thankyou for the compliments, Herr Doktor.  I collect vintage exotica and lounge albums(and quite a bit of 80's era alternative).  Les Baxter is one of my favorites, the holy grail for me would be finding Voice of The Xtabay on vinyl(Les Baxter and Yma Sumac, together!). 

Herr Döktor

I've got that on cd, but not on vinyl, and I've always loved that Yma Sumac was Amy Camus backwards!

clairdelune

Quote from: Herr Döktor on April 06, 2008, 06:14:52 PM
I've got that on cd, but not on vinyl, and I've always loved that Yma Sumac was Amy Camus backwards!
Yes, her biography is a bit murky(Incan Princess?). I have to admit Gopher Mambo is one of my favorite songs to play at house parties.

Von Gast

Quote from: clairdelune on April 06, 2008, 03:27:21 PM
Quote from: Von Gast on April 06, 2008, 02:24:05 PM

love the damask wallpaper and dragonfly lamp.

Thanks! The lamp has been hanging around in various rooms for some years.

Prof. A. Morphous

These are the shelves in my "office", this is the most steampunk spot in the house. I have other bits and bobs but nothing consolidated as such.

-Prof. A. Morphous  ;D

Sorry it is so blurry, darn the convenience of cell phone cameras...
"All of my comments are random thoughts, meant to help, praise or suggest a path of travel. All should be pondered, and disregarded as you see fit."

I feel like punching a penguin in the face today. -Ella Kremper

Luella Dobson

Quote from: Anders on April 05, 2008, 09:44:21 PM
Very nice, Miss Luella; I see those old radiators fitting the aesthetic very nicely as the rest of the apartment comes along.  And do I spy a vintage NES console on your entertainment rack?  Very nice, indeed!

yeah, I love the radiators. they're STEAM POWERED. :D win. this apartment has been here probably since the 1910s or 1920s. and yes, that is an NES console. :D we've had it forever and it still works perfectly. (well, besides having to hit it sometimes for it to start...)

lilibat and clairdelune, I love the colors of your walls! such rich jewel tones are among my favorites.
I'm a Jazzpunk.

General for the Study and Ultimate Disregard for the Laws of Universe through Strange and Ultimately Unfathomable Means

Von Gast

The need to thump NES consoles on occasion is well documented - see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NES#Hardware_design_flaws

and this is probably the only forum where you'd hear the phrase "I envy your radiators"!

Luella Dobson

Quote from: Von Gast on April 06, 2008, 10:32:06 PM

and this is probably the only forum where you'd hear the phrase "I envy your radiators"!

ahh! I need to show that to my sister, who seems to think that the majority of the problems with it are caused by her boyfriend, who's actually got the game cleaning kit and takes pretty good care of it. XD
I know, it's great isn't it? I love this place.
I'm a Jazzpunk.

J.F.Dawson

Interesting pictures, everyone! :)

Mr. VonGast, I especially like your Zeppelin-poster 8)  since I am from Hamburg myself. Now I am asking myself from where in town here they used to take off... I assume I will have to catch up a bit on my history books.
'To Bring Light Into Darkness'

Orlando

Thanks again to everyone who has posted.
I am most fortunate to be in your company.

greenguzzi

When I read about Timor-Leste on Wikipedia, I thought how lucky I was to live in a stable country with so few problems - it certainly puts our relatively trivial domestic woes in perspective.  When I saw you came from "a land down-under" I thought, 'Oh yeah, Timor is just a hop and a skip from Oz.  But not for you, my friend down in Melbourne !

Thaif

I did not know that Värttinä composed music for the Lord of the Rings stage musical.
It appears no accident that Värttinä should work on LOTR as I read that J.R.R. Tolkien considered Finnish to be a particularly beautiful language.
I wish I could express how unusual suomi appears to an English speaker.
How can "Näiltä tuulilta tulevan" translate to "These are the winds that will bear him to me" ?
There are not enough words !

LuellaDobson

I too suffer Radiator Envy but it reminds me a little of the Lady in the Radiator from Eraserhead.
What a fantastic appartment - it looks big and like it has been really well kept.

lilibat

Many thanks for the pics at 313 Castle Christgau.  I'm now listening to 'Hong Kong Garden' in your honour - goth and Black Japan lacquer - I've never made that connection before - that is brilliant !  And pretty brave taking the black gloss to the skirting and door frame.  And so right.  Have you got black skirting throughout the house ?  Looks like there's a lot of work in the curtains - I'm afraid I've hemmed my IKEA curtains with sewing pins and forgotten about them.  One day I will learn how to drive the sewing machine.

Von Gast

Are you completely shattered then ? The last couple of days must have been a bit of a marathon. But, it's nice when it stops, isn't it ?
Coordinating the skirting/doorframe/window colour with the furniture was a good idea. An opulent feel ? Like a gentleman's club ? Does that make sense at all ? (I've had two glasses of Gordon's Sloe Gin).

lilibat   I meant to mention - I wandered round 313 for a bit last night and your blog mentioned Tawny Port as being better because it's not so sweet.  Well Gordon's Sloe Gin is described as having a "dry yet fruity taste".  To me (I like things as-dry-as-a-bone) it's still sweet, but not clawingly so, and the flavour is more complex than just "fruity".

clairdelune

That's my kind of sofa !  And I've just spotted a Steinlen cat in the kitchen.
And I'm grateful to Herr Döktor for the pointer to Les Baxter.
A wild stab in the dark here... Do either of you know the version of Cole Porter's "Anything Goes" by Pee Wee Hunt?

Prof. A. Morphous

Is that a ginger jar ? And on the lower shelf - what is the glassware ?

Sorry for all the Hyperlinks to Wikipedia.

I have photos of Lol's Bedroom to post.
I will do it later today.

Orlando.

greenguzzi

Quote from: Orlando on April 07, 2008, 06:10:38 AM
greenguzzi

When I read about Timor-Leste on Wikipedia, I thought how lucky I was to live in a stable country with so few problems - it certainly puts our relatively trivial domestic woes in perspective.  When I saw you came from "a land down-under" I thought, 'Oh yeah, Timor is just a hop and a skip from Oz.  But not for you, my friend down in Melbourne
Yeah, it is quite a way from Melbourne to Timor. But living in this huge empty country you get used to long distances. A number of times I've ridden my motorcycle or driven my car up to Sydney just for a party, that's a 1,800km round trip. And last weekend I flew to Adelaide for a BBQ, that's about 700km each way. So my trip to Timor seemed just like a hop and a skip. 8)

Even though they are having problems in Timor they are better off than they have been in the past, and I met some hard working people who were happy and full of hope. So even though we are better off, it doesn't mean that we are happier. Humans are strange creatures!

Miss Pixie

Quote from: LuellaDobson on April 06, 2008, 10:51:08 PM
Quote from: Von Gast on April 06, 2008, 10:32:06 PM

ahh! I need to show that to my sister, who seems to think that the majority of the problems with it are caused by her boyfriend, who's actually got the game cleaning kit and takes pretty good care of it. XD
I know, it's great isn't it? I love this place.

Reminds me of this xkcd: http://xkcd.com/218/

~Miss Pixie
We're all here because we're not all there.

Von Gast

Quote from: J.F.Dawson on April 06, 2008, 10:54:11 PM
Interesting pictures, everyone! :)

Mr. VonGast, I especially like your Zeppelin-poster 8)  since I am from Hamburg myself. Now I am asking myself from where in town here they used to take off... I assume I will have to catch up a bit on my history books.

They left from Friedrichshafen according to the poster - that would make sense as the main Zeppelin plant was there IIRC? It looks as though Zeppelin provided the craft and Hamburg-Amerika Linie organised the passenger arrangements (eg marketing the flights, selling tickets, etc). I'd guess they pitched it comfortably above the price of a first class ticket on one of their liners so as not to hurt trade!

Von Gast

Are you completely shattered then ? The last couple of days must have been a bit of a marathon. But, it's nice when it stops, isn't it ?
Coordinating the skirting/doorframe/window colour with the furniture was a good idea. An opulent feel ? Like a gentleman's club ? Does that make sense at all ? (I've had two glasses of Gordon's Sloe Gin).

Yes, that makes sense, and that was what I was aiming for - somewhere the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen would feel at home. I did quite fancy a hatstand for my assorted headgear (you can see the pith helmet in one shot) but I'm not sure if I'll have space or not.

Prof. A. Morphous

Prof. A. Morphous

Is that a ginger jar ? And on the lower shelf - what is the glassware ?

Orlando.

It is a enamel/painted brass ginger jar shaped thing, which I picked up at a thrift store I think. Distressingly the inside is somewhat ashy (I fear it contained the mortal remains of someone or something). I will take a closer look at it when I get home, I forget what kind of condition it is in.

As far the glassware it is an apothecary jar I picked up at an estate sale. I don't think it is old, as they are quite trendy right now for home decor.

Original Picture behind spoiler

Actually Everything on those shelves came from thrift stores, yard sales or was otherwise scavenged. Except the "scroll shaped item" (top right) which is a brass and mahogany coin bank I made at university.

The bust with the horn is my favorite bit, it is a WIP and will eventually pop up in the tactile forum.

-Prof. A. Morphous  ;D

"All of my comments are random thoughts, meant to help, praise or suggest a path of travel. All should be pondered, and disregarded as you see fit."

I feel like punching a penguin in the face today. -Ella Kremper

clairdelune

Quote from: LuellaDobson on April 06, 2008, 10:19:29 PM

lilibat and clairdelune, I love the colors of your walls! such rich jewel tones are among my favorites.

thanks, miss dobson.  I used varying shades of plum,lavender,silver, and mauve on my walls-and managed to avoid a Barbie's Dreamhouse/Pink Nightmare motif.  If ever anyone is stumped about what colors to paint, I always suggest they look at the contents of their closet-If it looks good on you, chances are it looks good surrounding you,too.

Orlando

Hello All,

I am still struggling with the camera.
I decided to try and do the job a bit more methodically this time so I set it up on the tripod and in each of the four corners of Lol's bedroom I took a series of pictures in 8 different modes.  All the flash pictures looked cold and horrible and nothing like the room actually feels so I've picked the best of the rest.  The first four general views have a strong colour cast which is down to the incandescent lights (most of which have dark pink coloured bulbs) and the Dulux 'Roasted Red' walls, but this is pretty much as the room appears to the eyes.  You'll see the difference with the second group of four detail pics which are done with on-camera flash.

Orlando.

Luella Dobson

Quote from: clairdelune on April 07, 2008, 08:48:19 PM
Quote from: LuellaDobson on April 06, 2008, 10:19:29 PM

thanks, miss dobson.  I used varying shades of plum,lavender,silver, and mauve on my walls-and managed to avoid a Barbie's Dreamhouse/Pink Nightmare motif.  If ever anyone is stumped about what colors to paint, I always suggest they look at the contents of their closet-If it looks good on you, chances are it looks good surrounding you,too.

ah! there's a good idea! Why hadn't I thought of that?

Quote from: Orlando on April 07, 2008, 09:44:37 PM

aww, your kitty looks like a skinny version of my cat Ella! Your home looks very inviting; I'm especially lusting after that fireplace...<3
I'm a Jazzpunk.