News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Walking sticks with secrets...

Started by Hieronimous Stonebender, April 02, 2008, 01:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hieronimous Stonebender

I wish to make myself a walking stick.

For inspiration I've been perusing this wonderful forum, and I've come across such sticks in a vast number of shapes and sizes. Many of them contain more than meets the eye, and I would like some kind of feature in my stick as well. But I don't know what to choose. I would like it to be somewhat whimsical. Off the top of my head I can think of:

-Sword
-Knife
-Flask
-Compass
-Spyglass

But does anyone know of other useful(or not) gadgetry incorporated in this gentlemans accessory?

I would like to hear of wacky ideas, you folks might have.

juxtimon

i have seen one with a spring-loaded spike in the bottom of the stick- you press a button in the handle and out pops a 3 or 4 inch metal spike (i believe the purpose is to turn a 'city' stick into a 'country and mountain' stick)

i put a <a href="http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=3505.0">head in a tank</a> and a <a href="http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=5309.0">toad in a box</a>, now i'm putting _____ into a ______

Hieronimous Stonebender

Quote from: juxtimon on April 02, 2008, 01:52:25 PM
i have seen one with a spring-loaded spike in the bottom of the stick- you press a button in the handle and out pops a 3 or 4 inch metal spike (i believe the purpose is to turn a 'city' stick into a 'country and mountain' stick)

Nice, maybe for ice as well?

Maggoty Anne

I think the compass and spyglass are your best bets if you don't want the fez after you, though the only example I've seen of a spyglass-cane is this:
Spoiler: ShowHide

which while absolutely gorgeous, would be extremely difficult to make.

For the compass, we've already established that they are rather difficult to make in a thread I don't feel like digging up right now, but the mechanics mentioned there might help you.

I rather like the idea of putting a working clock in the handle, as opposed to a compass, like this person did here:
http://www.creativecanes.com/canepics02.html
"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's
work is terribly important."
-Bertrand Russell

Maggoty Anne

Quote from: Hieronimous Stonebender on April 02, 2008, 01:56:19 PM
Quote from: juxtimon on April 02, 2008, 01:52:25 PM

Nice, maybe for ice as well?

Or perhaps vampires? You never know when you might encounter one.
"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's
-Bertrand Russell

clockdug

I have seen some jaw droppingly stunning watch canes.  Pieces of horological beauty so fine that they made sword canes weep with envy.  I wish the link I had was still active.  There are some less impressive watch canes and other gadget canes on this link:  http://www.antiquecanes.com/items.php?category_2=system

Also, flute canes.  Some had small flutes contained within the cane; some were obviously flutes such as this one: http://www.gilai.com/scripts/more/ca274-canes-Canes-yes.html

Villainous

I've seen the old sword/knife/random blade kind. have one actually.

a recent movie franchise from a popular book series about a boy wizard had a wand concealed in a walking stick.

other classic ones had the handle pull out to be used as a pistol. I've seen a one shot type and a small "pepper box" model. I've seen a rifle version to that used the length of the stick as a barrel. no stock however.

thinks I've NEVER seen that might be a lot of fun....
- a fork
- candy
- a toothbrush
- a light/lamp/torch
- a lighter
- a salt shaker
- a bottle of holy water (sames lines of the flask but different style)
- a wooden stake
NEW STORES!! NEW DESIGNS!!

Shop One
Shop Two

MorrisHeaton

Here's my idea:

A tripod cane, for surveying and/or one of those photographic contraptions.

A cane with a hidden compartment for important documents/maps

A cane with a similar compartment, only it holds silverware for picnicking. Maybe use the bulb at the top for a flask or cup.

Hieronimous Stonebender

Leave it to the BG crowd to come up with brilliant stuff.

Thank you, and please keep 'em coming.

I really like the flashlight, lighter and watch ideas.

I'll start rummaging through my storage, and see if have something usable...

Atterton

There was one cane which had a map inside that could be pulled out, a bit like a rullegardin. Meant for walks around London.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Hieronimous Stonebender

Quote from: Atterton on April 02, 2008, 05:32:35 PM
There was one cane which had a map inside that could be pulled out, a bit like a rullegardin. Meant for walks around London.

Excuse me Atterton. But what does "rullegardin" mean to you? In danish it is a sort of curtain, which is rolled up and down using a springloaded mechanism...

Simon Hogwood

The Map Cane Thread.

Other ideas:
- An umbrella.
- A fancy pen.
- a screwdriver/crowbar/other tool.
"The laws of the land mean nothing to a man with a giant mechanical spider!" - Jake of All Trades

"The only clue to my secret obsession is one completely badass hat." - Jacob Squirrel

Atterton

It means the same to me.  ;) I couldn´t remember the english word.

Maggoty Anne

Quote from: Hieronimous Stonebender on April 02, 2008, 05:38:36 PM
Quote from: Atterton on April 02, 2008, 05:32:35 PM

Excuse me Atterton. But what does "rullegardin" mean to you? In danish it is a sort of curtain, which is rolled up and down using a springloaded mechanism...

I didn't know what it meant either, and google was no help to me, but I knew what he meant from the context.
-Bertrand Russell

MPsy

A tool box cane would be pretty cool and useful.
-Captain of the Dreadful Rumor-
"We're not lost!  We're on an adventure!"

Mad Calamity Photos
http://madcalamity.zenfolio.com/

Convention coverage, shorts, interviews, and vlogs!
http://www.youtube.com/user/youknowwhaaa

Lady Alandra

I recently saw a fabulous walking stick in past times in the UK. it had a ball on top which opened to show a working compass... if you unscrewed the brass sphere/compass there was a whisky vile in the stick itself, it was wonderful. I think a compass would do the trick or if you want to buy one try and see if past times has a website.
The world and all that is wrong or strange with it can be put right with a nice cup of tea..or if that fails, a bloomin' big hammer and some gaffer tape

Lord Jason Blackwell

i happen to own two walking sticks that convert into pool cues. or another idea that i'd like to do (as a prop, not functional) is a derringer camouflaged inside a walking stick.

Stanch

A fun one might be to have a hollowed brass top with a spring loaded pocket watch on the top where you can flip it up to reveal the face of a pocket watch.

Take four red capsules, in ten minutes, take two more. Help is on the way.

Affian

Ive been working on a design for a Cane with a built in umbrella, all it is lacking at the moment is a way to conceal the umbrella when it's closed.
Baron Nicodemus Ainsworth
ÆON

akumabito

*mutters nigh-incomprehensibly*

Perhaps a string of glass capsules filled with VX nerve gas.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Like in those missiles from The Rock. Only skinnier (cane-diameter) and with a lot more capsules...

Kabuki

Quote from: akumabito on April 03, 2008, 02:49:16 PM
*mutters nigh-incomprehensibly*

Perhaps a string of glass capsules filled with VX nerve gas.

One could use sections of green glass beaded necklace to set that up.  Or faux pearls?
The only thing more important that squashing one's foe, is doing so with style and panache... - Jake of All Trades

Join the fun here: http://www.b

ironwood

I saw one not to long ago at an Antique Fair that was a hidden single barrel shotgun. 
One man's (insert word) is another man's SteamPunk.

Gazongola

I think one with a USB stick would be appropriate for the modern society. The ones that have been first mentioned (first post) have all been done. You may want to look up what are known as 'system sticks', basically sticks with another purpose, which is the proper name for such a thing. Alot were made at the turn of the (last) century. However, an original can be hideously expensive. Many things are achievable. I personally own two reproductions; one with a spyglass, and one with a compass and vial.

Atterton

You could make it hollow with some lenses at either end and use it as a telescope.

Gazongola

Quote from: Affian on April 03, 2008, 08:08:00 AM
Ive been working on a design for a Cane with a built in umbrella, all it is lacking at the moment is a way to conceal the umbrella when it's closed.

Well the best I can think of is to buy one of those button press brolleys with some sort of spring mechanism inside.