News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Walking sticks with secrets...

Started by Hieronimous Stonebender, April 02, 2008, 01:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: groomporter on January 28, 2023, 06:10:54 PM
A little thread necromancy...

I've been mulling over the idea of a gadget cane with "EDC" (every day carry) items in it. A small cigarette lighter, a penlight flashlight, penknife, maybe a small powerbank, maybe space for earbuds. Maybe a couple pieces of copper pipe as the shaft?

Would like to see wip pictures if poss'
I bought a walking stick at a car boot for £3 a few years ago and whilst cleaning found it unwound and re-assembled to reveal a pool cue, was not expecting that, only problem I don't play pool any more. ( in my younger days I was really rather good, won trophies and all that.........) No tip and never tested.

Sir Henry

Quote from: groomporter on January 28, 2023, 06:10:54 PM
A little thread necromancy...

I've been mulling over the idea of a gadget cane with "EDC" (every day carry) items in it. A small cigarette lighter, a penlight flashlight, penknife, maybe a small powerbank, maybe space for earbuds. Maybe a couple pieces of copper pipe as the shaft?
Presumably you don't want to have to get everything out every time, so it would have to have several compartments.

To do this you could have a bar hinge (a piano hinge?) down the back of the cane and several doors down the length of it. If you engraved it or similar, the edges of the doors could be concealed in the design. So maybe fake bamboo nodes/joints/whatever they're called. Each door could be held shut with a tiny neodymium magnet, strong enough to hold it closed but weak enough that you could open it with a thumbnail/fingernail.
Or the head of the cane could contain a basic key, each door having a slot for the key and a latch that it can lift when turned.

(On rereading the above, it looks like I'm getting nostalgic for designing escape room props  ::) )
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

groomporter

Presumably you don't want to have to get everything out every time, so it would have to have several compartments.

To do this you could have a bar hinge (a piano hinge?) down the back of the cane and several doors down the length of it. If you engraved it or similar, the edges of the doors could be concealed in the design. So maybe fake bamboo nodes/joints/whatever they're called. Each door could be held shut with a tiny neodymium magnet, strong enough to hold it closed but weak enough that you could open it with a thumbnail/fingernail.
Or the head of the cane could contain a basic key, each door having a slot for the key and a latch that it can lift when turned.
[/quote]

hmmm. may have to mull that over... hmmm...
If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson