News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

How To Topic

Started by JingleJoe, April 02, 2008, 10:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel

Quote from: JingleJoe on November 08, 2008, 07:36:07 PM
A hack saw cuts copper pipe better ;)

As does a copper pipe cutter.

... but where's the fun in that?
"With a rifle, you can kill one man; but with a machine gun, you can make a whole army keep its head down." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote from: Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth on April 13, 2008, 09:04:17 PM
Buns are obviously not designed for their aerodynamic properties.

Angel

Quote from: JingleJoe on November 08, 2008, 07:36:07 PM
Also, the price of copper pipe is ridiculous, I think it is mainly used for it's good heat conduction, but you can get it for free! Just go for a big trek everywhere you can looking for skips, ask other humans if they've seen any work on houses being done and you will find skips and copper pipes in a few of them!

The problem with this is (and I know first hand) that workmen keep the copper pipe and sell it as scrap.

I'm somewhat lucky, in that my step-father is a gas man and I often help him on "Extra curricular" jobs, and he allows me to take components and such that we remove. I've snagged an assortment of compression fittings, a couple of taps and other copper fittings for my own use in contraptions.
"With a rifle, you can kill one man; but with a machine gun, you can make a whole army keep its head down." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote from: Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth on April 13, 2008, 09:04:17 PM
Buns are obviously not designed for their aerodynamic properties.

Andrew Edwards

i recently payed a visit to home depot last week where i managed to get $30-$40US of 1/4" copper piping for $9. my trick you ask? simple. first locate the desired copper pipes and often mixed umong and pushed to the back you will find damaged pipes (aha! a discount!) gather up a good bit of bent and crimped pipes. next find a step would be to find a manager and ask if it would be possible to get a discount on the damaged items.
tips to get the best discount: when showing the manager your collection of damaged goods, show him or her the worst of the lot first. telling the manager that you would like it for art purposes like metal sculptor can impress some people, making them additionally interested and friendly toward you, resulting in the possibility of a lower discount.
after chatting for a minute ir two the manager i met was happy and interested in what i do and gave me a discount on each peice of $1ea for the 1/4" and $2 for 1/2". i was happy to say the least ;D
i hope my tips can help some of you in the future.

Andrew Edwards
"You Sir... are a fiddler crab!"
"Balderdash! I am in no way crabby... although I am quite fiddler-ish..."
-Conversation between myself and the inventor of the "crab ray". rather odd day that was.

Hev

Here's a tutorial on how to do a realistic faux bronze finish using acrylic paints: http://hev-art.blogspot.com/2008/07/super-sculpey-and-faux-bronzing.html

clockwork creation

oooooooooooooooooo verry nice
I am a freak in control not a control freak

Zwack

Greetings,

I posted some basic leatherworking instructions in their own thread, these show parts of the construction of a leather bag which should be enough to help people work out how to do most of the things that they might want to do with leather.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=12442.0

Z.
"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.

Dr cornelius quack

Hello,

Nothing to do with me, but this is just about the most inspiring set of how to pages I've ever seen.

http://hmi.homewood.net/bellows/

Even if you're not building a concertina, some of the techniques and tips should be of use to us steamy types.

Enjoy,

Dr. Q.
Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

JingleJoe

Bellows! Fantastic! I needed to know how to make them :D
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

helios

Quote from: Angel on November 08, 2008, 07:42:04 PM
The problem with this is (and I know first hand) that workmen keep the copper pipe and sell it as scrap.

They do. We've just had our kitchen re-done, and we've had to tell the builder that yes, we do want that old copper pipe. We still lost about half a kilo of copper.
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

crustyrustyaphid

Does anyone know how to make or where to get Trent Reznor's goggles in the music video for Closer?

Small pic of them.
Spoiler: ShowHide

The youtube video(still NSFW)

JingleJoe

Quote from: crustyrustyaphid on December 24, 2008, 12:30:07 PM
Does anyone know how to make or where to get Trent Reznor's goggles in the music video for Closer?

Small pic of them.
Spoiler: ShowHide

The youtube video(still NSFW)

Let's make a thread for it, I'll watch the video in a bit (when theres no one else around is it's NSFW :D) And see what I can come up with

Also a reminder to anyone else, if you have questions on how to make something or a 'how to' to provide us with, make a new thread for it!

Havelock Oliphant

Very nice how to's on here.

Torvald_Faust

I have seen questions in this thread before, so, here goes: how would one stick polystyrene to a piece of PVC pipe?

Angus A Fitziron

Quote from: Torvald_Faust on April 19, 2009, 10:02:46 PM
I have seen questions in this thread before, so, here goes: how would one stick polystyrene to a piece of PVC pipe?
If you thoroughly roughen the surface of the PVC with emery paper, then epoxy resin should do it. If the polystyrene is the solid rigid kind then you could experiment with pipe welding solvent, sold for joining PVC pipes, however, being a solvent it might melt the polystyrene to a greater extent than is acceptable - so, experiment; it has great Steampunk kudos!
Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"

Torvald_Faust

Thanks for those two tips - I will see what can be done with either of them :)

Ginny Blundy

For a raygun project - How do you get a very high-polish finish out of simple spray paint or hand paints? I'm looking for a high-shine metallic result, chrome-like if possible.
Oh, you are beautiful! No really, you are, you're gorgeous! Space-age clockwork, I love it, I've got chills! Listen, I mean this from the heart - and by the way, count those - it would be a crime, it would be an act of vandalism to disassemble you.

But that won't stop me.

Dr cornelius quack

Some of the spray paint makers sell products which claim to be high gloss metallics, in the UK "Plasikote" is one brand. Don't know if that gets 'across the pond?' I'd say that the usual rules for gloss finishes would apply, lots of care taken to ensure a smooth surface finish in your undercoat layers and keeping the parts dust free as you apply the final gloss coats. Another approach is to put on a flat (matt) metallic paint and glaze the surface with gloss lacquers to give some shine to the thing.
Also worth remembering that 'shiney bits' look shinier if they are contrasted by nearby 'grubby bits'.
The number of modelmakers who spend hours producing the most beautifully finished pieces to amazing levels of perfection and then spend equally long "knocking back' and 'weathering' is testament to the value of the technique. (Not mentioning any names here.)

Dr. Q.
Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

Ginny Blundy

I appreciate the recommendation regarding grunging the thing up a bit.

What precautions might I take to ensure a smooth surface in undercoat layers, other than a dust free work area? Unfortunately I did not grow up building models, and so I missed a lot of good developmental experience in this type of painting. Now, I must gain that experience as an adult making rayguns.
Oh, you are beautiful! No really, you are, you're gorgeous! Space-age clockwork, I love it, I've got chills! Listen, I mean this from the heart - and by the way, count those - it would be a crime, it would be an act of vandalism to disassemble you.

But that won't stop me.

airship_pilot

Several even coats of high gloss clear spray really helps the shine come through.

sidecar_jon

http://findermaker.blogspot.com/2009/10/scrimshaw-made-simple.html

Says it all really but id not thought about using reclaimed ivory etc...

anniechatsa

JingleJoe

Those goggles are pretty good, and that hand too! However, one should remember, sticking on gears and watch parts do not make something steampunk.

Major Wolfram Quicksilver

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'

Atlas Fishard

I can't seem to access the "How to age brass" section

Can someone help me out?

Requesting Backup,
A

jringling

Quote from: Atlas Fishard on March 30, 2011, 12:35:39 AM
I can't seem to access the "How to age brass" section

Can someone help me out?

Requesting Backup,
A

What kind of patina are you looking for?
http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas.htm