News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Update on the british sword ban

Started by Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth, April 06, 2008, 02:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Without getting political; here's the news on hte British sword ban:
As of today, (6th of april, 2008) curved swords with cutting edges of over 50cm are illegal. Straight swords of any length remain legal.
Among the banned items are leaf-bladed swords, katanas, cavalry sabres, certain seaxes, scythes, machetes, etc. Any curved blade less than 50cm remains legal.
The law covers all forms of transfer, including inheritance and outright giving them away.

I've only covered what the law is, rather than why it's in place in order to avoid the dreaded scourge that is politics.
And really, to be honest, i'm not sure this thread can proceed without getting political so i'm not going to be surprised if it's locked.

The fact remains that this is an important matter that affects a lot of us here, and needs to be stated.

IN order to make this a little lighter, why not post some pictures of your freshly-illegal things?  :D

EDIT: you can still own and buy a curved blade as long as you've got a good reason to buy it; for example, if you're a recreationalist, or a practicing martial artist.

Von Gast

I await the sudden surge in broadsword attacks that will inevitably follow this legislation...

It does occur to me that you could get around it if the precise wording of the law is "a cutting edge of over 50cm". Simply make your full size katana and only sharpen 49.9cm of the blade. The rest isn't a cutting edge!

Unkillable cat

Ive already blunted all of mine so technically there is no cutting edge, and the steel is such a low grade that bringing the edbe back would be an exercise in futility.

Honeythorn

Oh :(

Does this only apply specifically to swords? Or blades of all types? I'm now quite worried about this

The big double ended blade on the right? The point in the centre is sharp, although there is no edge to it. But each of the end blades is about..33 cm long if I press the tape measure around the curve. Would they count both curved edges together as 66 cm? . Is that one illegal do you think?  :'( :'( To be honest I'm not even that keen on it anymore, but have no idea how to get rid of it legally if it isn't allowed :(
<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·

Professor Lidenbrock

There are a significant amount of exemptions to this legislation Honeythorn. The amendments (and please note that they ARE  amendments to existing legislation, rather than a new law) can be found on this site.http://www.opsi.gov.uk/
Worth a look if in doubt.Remember also that there have been no test cases yet.
"Through the ruins of a city stalked the ruin of a man."

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Honeythorn, i've got no idea, even the people who made the law don't know. And yes, it applies toall blades. If you want to hand something in, take it to a police station and hand it in quite politely there. You probably WON'T have to hand it in though.

Von Gast, It'd still count as a cutting edge, same goes for you, Cat.

Prof. Lindenbrock: For any suitable legislation to come into effect there'd have to be a few dozen court cases, which'll cost a few people dearly.

Atterton

I don´t understand why they think curved blades should be banned but not straight ones. Is it something to do with antiques? Or do people more often get attacked with curved blades?
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Vienna Fahrmann

I suspect that on a day to day basis, more people are attacked by short knives rather than long swords.

Vienna

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

I'm also wondering if you need proof that you are a collector/costumer which will be a little difficult to obtain acceptable proof, plus the whole blunt/sharp thing may be conflicting...
The music is reversable, but time...is not.

Jemima Annabelle Clough

I believe it's targetting curved blades as there have been a very few high profile cases where some nutter has attacked some-one with a "samurai sword" - and a lot of the replicas I've seen for sale have come with a live blade, unlike replica straight swords. And whilst you could put an edge on some of the straight swords, that requires forethought.

From what the papers report, knife and gun crime are far more prevalent in the UK than curved sword crime...
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

oh yes, 80 "samurai sword" attacks, compared to thousands of knife and gun crimes. But banning knives wouldn't work (cutlery etc) so "samurai swords" get the chop (pardon the dreadful pun)

Atterton

Well, I do seem to hear a lot about samurai sword attacks. When I heard curved blade, it more made me think of scimitars than samurai swords though.

Professor Lidenbrock

The easy availability of (cheap) reproductions of Samurai swords has resulted in them being used in a disproportionately large amount of violent crime in the U.K. (Including at least one particularly vicious murder)
The amendments have been made after a lengthy consultation process in order to clarify some ambiguities in pre-existing legislation. As always burden of proof would lie with the prosecution.The absence of any test cases means that as yet there is no judicial interpretation of the amendments which is a prerequisite of precedent for common law both in the U.K. & U.S.
As the link I posted earlier shows there are a list of exemptions which ought to be comprehensive enough to cover activities in which members of this forum participate.

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

Ok, should be able to make my wooden swords still and cosplay weapon replicas will be acceptable.

Professor Lidenbrock

Quote from: Captain_Minty_Gearhertz on April 06, 2008, 04:18:58 PM
Ok, should be able to make my wooden swords still and cosplay weapon replicas will be acceptable.
That certainly should be the case. And your cosplay group's Public Liability Insurance enables you to use them at public displays.

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

:-\ I'm not a member of a group... Not sure how to join any, plus no (truly) local ones the "nearest" are Uni groups and I'm not in Uni.

Professor Lidenbrock

Quote from: Captain_Minty_Gearhertz on April 06, 2008, 04:26:58 PM
:-\ I'm not a member of a group... Not sure how to join any, plus no (truly) local ones the "nearest" are Uni groups and I'm not in Uni.
As I assume that you are unlikely to stage any re enactment's by yourself, that will not be a problem from a legal point of view.. ;D

Hyren von Henry

I always though samuri-swords were frowned upon due to the horrendous amount of damage they to to flesh, apparently in comparison and broadsword is quite tame.

due to the fact a broadsword is designed to be used against amoured foes i assume, and uses more of a stabbing motion, but what do i know?

and scythes are banned? wtf? how many scythe attacks are there? how am i meant to cut grass in an environmentally friendly way?
Est. 1990

Atterton

I think most broadswords sold are already blunt. Why samurai swords are not I don´t know.

Professor Lidenbrock

I am uncertain as to the origin of the supposed ban on scythes but they are not mentioned in the existing legislation or the amendments. As always in all parts of the U.K. anything which is not illegal is legal.

Hyren von Henry

Quote from: Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth on April 06, 2008, 02:06:07 PM

Among the banned items are leaf-bladed swords, katanas, cavalry sabres, certain seaxes, scythes, machetes, etc.

Est. 1990

akumabito

Anyone need to get rid of a Bat'leth? ;D
I've got space on my wall!

Atterton

Scythes and machetes are both quite useful.

Hyren von Henry

well, you would probably use an ax where i live, but theres no replacement for a scythe
Est. 1990

Kuma

Damn, i really feel bad for you folks on the other side of the pond. Hopefully something like this can get overturned