News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Update on the british sword ban

Started by Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth, April 06, 2008, 02:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

Quote from: Jemima Annabelle Clough on April 07, 2008, 06:55:13 PM
I far prefer the wording in the old joke - the right to arm bears...

How easy would it be to grind an inch off a curved blade?
Bears should go armed, after all, how else will they stop hunters and defend themselves (Jasper FForde's Nursery Crime series had armed bears, it's awesome!)
The music is reversable, but time...is not.

Jemima Annabelle Clough

I love his books - I think I'm missing the latest though - The Third Bear?
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

Quote from: Jemima Annabelle Clough on April 07, 2008, 08:43:42 PM
I love his books - I think I'm missing the latest though - The Third Bear?
First Among Sequels is out now too, (Thursday Next) and yes The Third Bear is the latest Jack Sprat book.

Hyren von Henry

both have been out for a while, and both are exellent
Est. 1990

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

Undebatable. A new book should be out soon. This is a good year for books. In my opinion

Atterton

I´m also curious. What does US law say about swords, regarding the bearing arms amendment?
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Hyren von Henry

Quote from: Atterton on April 07, 2008, 09:05:43 PM
I´m also curious. What does US law say about swords, regarding the bearing arms amendment?

see! see! now 2 people wanna know!

c'mon, someone must live in the U.S....

Est. 1990

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

rogue_designer

As far as I know, swords are not regulated federally, except in airports, post offices, court buildings, etc. Where almost every thing pointy is restricted.

But there are myriad state and municipal laws that would restrict them. In Chicago, for instance, any blade over 2.875" is restricted for carrying.  But they don't care if you own it.

I'll have to read up more.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)

Hyren von Henry

interesting to know the story to as to why such a precise size  ;D

and thanks for giving an answer  :D
Est. 1990

rogue_designer

Yeah, instead of under 3" they needed to go 1/8th under 3" or smaller? I can't fathom the rationale.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)

the Hat

Switch blades are illegal in most if not all states. I also believe that cane swords are banned in California.
[color=black]"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz[/color]

Hyren von Henry

but presumably not in Texas? i hear that you can't carry a concealed weapon, save in Texas

oh and in Crocodile Dundee, we see him being given his "knife" back by a police officer he got a lift from
;D
Est. 1990

rogue_designer

concealed weapons are an odd beast.

Varies state by state. Most have a permit system that once you're fingerprinted and cleared by the FBI (and presumably not a felon, or a commited mental case) you can carry concealed weapons of various degrees. Some states don't allow them at all. Some states do, but then a city like chicago does not allow them, even if Illinois does.

A few states prefer if you don't have them concealed - I think Arizona you can carry a pistol out in the open (cowboy sixgun style) but they get you if you have a concealed gun.

A few (I believe vermont is one) don't have any restrictions at all. But obviously, local laws take precedent. If you're from Vermont, but visiting Chicago, you must obey Chicago's laws.

Having a country this size, with as many interested and essentially independent government entities gets fun sometimes.

Hyren von Henry

if the weapons concealed, how can they know you have it?

cos if they can see the gun, de-facto its not concealed?
Est. 1990

Jarod20

I just wish to say that this legislation will lead to many deaths come World War Z, and the safest places will be museum castles, where the blades are real and sturdy.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw

Hyren von Henry

so we should all head to leads with a ladder and a wetstone then?
Est. 1990

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

Grindstones, must stockpile them!

Von Gast

Either that or we all need to sharpen garden spades. I bet you could get a decent zombie-bashing edge on one with an angle grinder in a hurry...

Yes, I can hear the gasps of horror from here. I know it won't be a perfect edge or a pretty one. It'll still take zombie scalps off like a spoon deals with hard boiled eggs though.

Hyren von Henry

i hear that sharpened entrenching tools were more popular in WW1 than bayonets
Est. 1990

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

In the end, anything can be sharpened to a lethal edge. That is why the best way forward is to ban people, all nice and neat.

elShoggotho

...except a spork. Klappspaten FTW!

Von Gast

Quote from: Hyren von Henry on April 08, 2008, 04:26:30 PM
i hear that sharpened entrenching tools were more popular in WW1 than bayonets

I recall reading that the main use of the bayonet after training was to open tinned foods...

Ella Kremper

In my opinion, the potential of paper as a sharpened weapon of mass destruction has not been harnessed. It's the thing I cut myself on most often, it causes a disproportionate amount of blood to pour out on application, and its effects are felt long after the initial incision.

And we expose our children to this danger! Ban paper!  :o ;D

Let's get a Bentley Speed Six and drive it through the middle of the forest.

Hyren von Henry

i'm already sharpening my trilby!

wait, its just felt...
Est. 1990