News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Update on the british sword ban

Started by Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth, April 06, 2008, 02:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Hat

I love hearing about all the bans on weapons in the UK. It makes me laugh!!!  :D As if banning swords and guns will stop criminals!  ::) It only makes law abiding citizens better targets because the criminals (who don't give a damn about laws.... for that is WHY they are criminals) know they cannot defend themselves. Pardon me whilst I bask in the glory of being an American!  ;D

Sincerely,
The Hat
[color=black]"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz[/color]

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

The ban was put into place in order to keep down the high-profile crime wherein some nutter runs amok with a sword-shaped piece of crappy stainless steel. There were only 80 attacks last year, as opposed to almost certainly more attacks with screwdrivers, etc. The problem is the media has an incredibly hysterical reaction to it.

I'm not too worried. For now, i'll bide my time and focus on making the most pristine 499mm curved sword
It'll not be enforceable, there's too many loopholes, i thinks.

Also: to admins;
This isn't too political, is it?

Von Gast

Well, I don't see it provoking a fight. I'm pretty sure we all agree that this is a blunt-edged and rather daft bit of legislation that won't really do much to reduce crime?

CapnHarlock

I suppose that now that curved blades are illegal, we should prepare for a huge increase in drive-by Claymorings ????
Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.

Atterton

Well I think The Hat already made it political.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

XD
Oh dear...

I reckon it's an omen, you know; the day the items i aspire to make are banned, my forge gets filled with snow. Got a pic on my phone, i'll upload when i find out how.

EDIT:

I agree with the Hat, but easy up thar, 'kay?

Hyren von Henry

while we're talking about making things politikal...

banning stuff does work. while has been a rise in handgun crime in the UK, it is nothing compared to the USA rates, something like: 39% homicide in the usa with firearms compared to 8% here.

what i think some fail to notice is that a gun/sword is a tool (well, maybe swords arn't tools, but guns are) and inherently no more evil than a spoon
Est. 1990

Dr cornelius quack

Just received this quote from a prominant member of the scythe using community.

"DOESN'T APPLY TO ME OF COURSE."

Dammned useful that Rite of Ashkente.

Kind regards,

Dr. Q.

p.s. That bloody Raven's just nicked my tinned lychees.
Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

Hyren von Henry

Est. 1990

Atterton

Debating laws is really political either way.

They'll get Him, you know. Even Him.

Alright, let's stomp this political stuff, i want this left open.
One last thing though:
A gun's a machine designed to throw lead. A sword's a tool designed to cut things.

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

Quote from: Dr cornelius quack on April 06, 2008, 05:57:24 PM
Just received this quote from a prominant member of the scythe using community.

"DOESN'T APPLY TO ME OF COURSE."

Dammned useful that Rite of Ashkente.

Kind regards,

Dr. Q.

p.s. That bloody Raven's just nicked my tinned lychees.

Tee hee. Watch your pickled onions carefully...
The music is reversable, but time...is not.

Hyren von Henry

Quote from: Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth on April 06, 2008, 06:03:43 PM
They'll get Him, you know. Even Him.

Alright, let's stomp this political stuff, i want this left open.
One last thing though:
A gun's a machine designed to throw lead. A sword's a tool designed to cut things.

cutting people you mean....

no-one goes after animals with a sword
Est. 1990

Nope, it's designed to cut anything the user wants it to cut, and cut it well.
And we've reached the crux of the problem here; it's not the sword or gun that does the damage, it's the person using it.

Hyren von Henry

so what your saying, is that we should ban people?

and swords are only designed to kill people. you know i'm right

though obviously they have the colectability

(not for me personally, but if thats what floats your boat, who am i to argue?)
Est. 1990

the Hat

Quote from: Hyren von Henry on April 06, 2008, 05:54:54 PM
while we're talking about making things politikal...

banning stuff does work. while has been a rise in handgun crime in the UK, it is nothing compared to the USA rates, something like: 39% homicide in the usa with firearms compared to 8% here.

what i think some fail to notice is that a gun/sword is a tool (well, maybe swords arn't tools, but guns are) and inherently no more evil than a spoon

Personally, I could not agree more!

Sorry to anyone who might have been offended by my last post. I was being more sarcastic than anything else. However, many a true word is spoken in jest.
Quote from: Hyren von Henry on April 06, 2008, 06:10:06 PM
so what your saying, is that we should ban people?

and swords are only designed to kill people. you know i'm right

though obviously they have the colectability

(not for me personally, but if thats what floats your boat, who am i to argue?)

Yes, I believe we should ban stupid people, not weapons!  ;D
[color=black]"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz[/color]

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

Yes, ban people, the way of the future!

Hyren von Henry

yaay! someone likes my ideas!

i have an idea for fruit flavored spoons you know....
Est. 1990

I agree with both of you, they WERE made originally to cut people.

What we should do is ban stupidity. I think that responsible knife use would be a valid addition to the syllabus at schools, and that it'd help generations of chefs and woodworkers, but that's only my opinion. What i'm saying is: We should educate people more in more things.

My, this really is going political...

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

mmm fruit spoons....Why stop at spoons? Whole cutlery sets in different flavors!
Polotics effect everything, have you never seen the adverts telling you so before elections? (here in the UK anyway, they were a bit naff)

Hyren von Henry

"the pub! she is closing too early!"

"you nay talk politiks! silence"

there should be a "gross stupidity" rule, mainly to stop people sueing over things that they've done, like triping on a pavement and sueing the council, or breaking a window, getting cut, then sueing the owner
Est. 1990

the Hat

We've already banned guns from bars here in the United States. I think we should take it even further and ban strong people from bars too! That way they can't hurt anyone when they get drunk with their enormous muscles! 

Hyren von Henry

this has always amused me, if it came down to a zombie invasion a Britain, none of us have guns, but we're all so proficient at broken bottles and barstools i don't think it will matter
Est. 1990

Atterton

And chairs.
And anyone else who can't get away in time.