News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

your other (husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend) steampunk too?

Started by Silvia Lovett, April 11, 2008, 01:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ampère Volt

Your other (husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend) steampunk too?

Yup  ;D
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
<i>Oscar Wilde</i>
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
<i>Charlotte Bronte</i>

Silvia Lovett

Broken hearts change the mind, notice that they'er killing mine.

Lily

If anything mine is more dieselpunk. He's into the whole WWI planes, Indiana Jones, cars, and trains thing. But I wouldn't call him (anything)punk. He pure musclecar gearhead, not to be confused with the clockwork gearheads.

He is interested in what I do, the jewelry and such. He's pretty good about helping me disassemble things and finding new bits and bobs for my designs. There is a wealth of doodads in your ordinary auto parts store that I would have never found without his help.
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Vienna Fahrmann

My husband likes the steampunk genre.

Vienna

Mrs. Sullivan

I am fortunate in that Mr. Sullivan enjoys steampunk as well, though we favor different aspects of it.  He likes tinkering and building things, while I enjoy clothing and costume.  We both like the Victorian era as a decorating inspiration for our home, and enjoy poking around thrift shops together.

He says he likes the social side of things as well (meeting new people), but "dressing up" - not so much.  Still, I manage to coax him into putting on a button-down shirt and waistcoat once in a while, with a nice pair of wool-cashmere trousers, and he looks quite handsome.  The irony is that he has a very steampunk look in his everyday wear due to his rather exceptionally luxurious beard and wearing a British officers' greatcoat everywhere (not to mention his leather hat).  He's sort of Carl McCoy with a full beard.

We have been together for thirteen years, married for eleven.  We first met on alt. gothic, where we discovered we had similar tastes in music, religion, politics, and compatible values and morals.  I think I fell in love with Mr. Sullivan before I ever set eyes on him - but it didn't hurt that he is also one of the most handsome men I've ever met!  I shall try to insert  a picture here

Please ignore my photo, I think I look kind of like a frog in this pic.
I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!

Luella Dobson

I don't have a boyfriend but my sister's boyfriend seems mildly interested in the tinkering part.
I'm a Jazzpunk.

General for the Study and Ultimate Disregard for the Laws of Universe through Strange and Ultimately Unfathomable Means

vermillion

I have gotten my boyfriend SLIGHTLY interested in it.. I dont think he will ever be as "into" the culture as I am...I doubt he'll ever understand.. he just thinks it's "cool"

Kuma

my imaginary girlfriend is deeply immersed in the culture

Jemima Annabelle Clough

We are both steampunk (with smatterings of dieselpunk, I think.)

My husband claims I got him into steampunk...
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

chicar

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

Professor Fzz

My wife thinks I waste my time.  She's probably right, but there are worse ways to waste your time.  She quite likes the Victorian aesthetic though she's embarrassed when I wear a top hat.  But still, she tolerates steampunk because she thinks the whole "mad scientist thing" is inspiring for our son, and he thinks steampunk is the most natural thing, and he's becoming a really good lab assistant.  But he doesn't seem to understand why his school friends aren't obsessed with sparks and steam and rockets and similar things.
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. -  Thomas H. Huxley

Rowan of Rin

Ah, you all have such inspirational relationships, I'm glad you have all found people you like to be around, regardless of Steampunkedness.
And Prof Fzz, you are NOT wasting you time! I must say, you are officially my hero, and my room is modeled in  a fashion after your study :) I can just see you son becoming a great man some day!
But I have the same problem, some people I know don't mind the Steampunk aesthetic as much, but they get very embarrassed if I dress up in full kit, so I rarely do, except in my own privacy. I am a closet Steampunk :)
I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!

Silvia Lovett

That's cool!! i love how your son is involed too....AWESOME!

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: Rowan of Rin on April 11, 2008, 03:10:53 PM
My question is, where do you find these people?! I would love to just be friends with someone who shared the same level of enthusiasm for Steampunk as myself, let alone have a relationship. Where do you hang around to pick up steamier types...

Mate, I think we're just in the wrong country for it.

What city are you in/near?

kiskolou

My girlfriend wouldn't call herself so, but she wears goggles, adores Tesla, calls everyone "sir", and draws robots. Oh, and enjoys reading, a quality rare in high-schoolers.
Her chief obsessions are zombies and pirates, both compatible with the world of steam. All it takes is a little push, and soon my master plan to transform her into steampunk incarnate will be complete! HahahahaHahahA!
"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!

Silvia Lovett

i LOVE vampires... MY boyfriend is getting intersted in this on too...i'm happy

CapnHarlock

I would indeed like to find an "other" who found nothing odd about growing kitchen herbs in the fishtanks , painting Nerf guns and typing by candlelight ....

but, oh well, at least my daughter is _beginning_ to think that a more decorous style (even if it is EGL meets Shinjuku Catgirl) is more appropriate, and more fun, than her friends' "skanky mallrat" appearance
Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.

Rowan of Rin

Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on April 12, 2008, 01:29:54 AM
My question is, where do you find these people?! I would love to just be friends with someone who shared the same level of enthusiasm for Steampunk as myself, let alone have a relationship. Where do you hang around to pick up steamier types...

I'm Melbourne, how about yourself? I set up a potential Melbourne meet up thread in Geographical, but no replies so far, it is quite depressing and lonely :( But, I will have to create bribes. In one of our markets there is a guy who sells the most Steampunk stuff that is perfect for projects, and real cheap as well :)
I think, seeing as there are so few Aussies who are on this forum (or are willing to show themselves), we may have to have the 'Great Aussie Meetup' sometime, jsut so we can have the max number of people. I wouldn't mind travelling a bit for that, in the holidays or whatever.

Also kiskolou, it sounds like you have found the perfect catch :) I wish you the best of luck in being the ultimate Steampunk couple. We should have yearly awards on the forum, such as best steampunk couple :D

Jarod20

I am currently building a girlfriend to join me in my artistic and scientific endeavors but am having trouble financing the construction...
Donations accepted.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: Rowan of Rin on April 12, 2008, 02:30:47 AM
Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on April 12, 2008, 01:29:54 AM

I'm Melbourne, how about yourself? I set up a potential Melbourne meet up thread in Geographical, but no replies so far, it is quite depressing and lonely :( But, I will have to create bribes. In one of our markets there is a guy who sells the most Steampunk stuff that is perfect for projects, and real cheap as well :)
I think, seeing as there are so few Aussies who are on this forum (or are willing to show themselves), we may have to have the 'Great Aussie Meetup' sometime, jsut so we can have the max number of people. I wouldn't mind travelling a bit for that, in the holidays or whatever.

Sydney. Most of the Australian forum members seemed to be from Brisbane and surrounds last time I really checked...

Heh, my imaginary Melbourne strikes me as the Australian city with the most steamy potential... whether the real city is or not I don't know, as I haven't been there yet. (Been thinking of visiting to avoid all this World Youth Day nonsense... that much organised religion tends to give me hives >_o )

Geographical is a rather neglected forum... why not stick a mention of that thread in your sig, so people will see it?

Klynt Mahryd

My girl geeks out about steampunk as much as I do, though she isn't much into the comunity.

Rowan of Rin

Just looked up world youth day, *officially* creeped out.
Well, Melbourne is great, as it is a primarily Victorian city (as in the period, not the state :P), so it has a lot of cool buildings, especially Gothic revival and even Art Nouveau ones!
I will also put that in my sig, good idea, I just hope some people pop up. I know there are people in Victoria, I just haven't seen then around for ages. I lurked this forum for a very long time (read: over a year) before joining up, so I have pretty much followed every going on, and remember a lot of the old active members.

CapnHarlock

World Youth Day??   I can guarantee that if there is ever a "World Geezer Day", there will be no cunningly-disguised  photos of Emperor Palpatine - that is bl**dy scary :(
Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.

Flynn MacCallister

Rowan of Rin

Is it big? I would much rather have a day with Emperor Palpatine..He is very cool.."No, YOU shall die!"
Well, you are welcome to take a holiday down my way :)