News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

What kind of pirate or non-pirate are you?

Started by Albrecht, May 17, 2008, 09:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fciron

Quote from: Gentleman-Adventurer on June 14, 2008, 09:39:29 PM
Sifting through the remains of past epochs, to uncover their lives in vivid detail!

Most of the ex-archeologist's that I know would define that as digging up colonial outhouses.
Unless surgically removed my tongue will remain planted firmly in my cheek at all times.

Tom OBedlam

Quote from: Albrecht on June 14, 2008, 09:10:57 PM
but archaeology has Dr Jones and (to a certain degree) Alan Quartermain.

you'd consider Quartermain?
we have a Nietzche, Sartre and Mill on our side. I'll wager that should they ever meet Dr Jones on the intellectual battlefield of Scrabble they would not be found lacking.
http://tomobedlampof.wordpress.com/

I slept and I dreamed of a time long ago
I saw an army of rebels, dancing on air
I dreamed as I slept, I could see the campfires,
A song of the battle, that was born in the flames,
and the rebels were waltzing on air.

Aether Pirate

Quote from: Albrecht on June 14, 2008, 09:10:57 PM
Quote from: Tom OBedlam on June 14, 2008, 03:55:33 PM
Quote from: Gentleman-Adventurer on June 14, 2008, 10:23:23 AM
Archaeology is just the incarnation of academic cool. Nobody doing Economics or Food Science can say: "Ye Gods, it's the Pearl Emblem of Tikalli! Found after so many years!"

ah but we in the Philosophy school can sit in a cafe chain smoking all day reading french poetry then leap to our feat, exclaiming "I have solved Zeno's Paradox, huzzah! Another espresso and a french filterless fag barkeep!"

but archaeology has Dr Jones and (to a certain degree) Alan Quartermain.
Though more of a geogrpher, archaeologists can also to a certain degree claim Sven Anders Hedin. And I'm not sure he can be topped.

As for pirates, if my time travelling expeditions were well-funded, I'd be with these chaps right now.

A.G.Morgan

Quote from: Tom OBedlam on June 14, 2008, 03:55:33 PM
ah but we in the Philosophy school can sit in a cafe chain smoking all day reading french poetry then leap to our feat, exclaiming "I have solved Zeno's Paradox, huzzah! Another espresso and a french filterless fag barkeep!"

Strange kind of cafes you've got over there.

Art students like myself have more in common with mad scientists. Strange hair, odd social behaviors, Brooding and toiling away on some terrible creation till finally it is ready to unleash upon an unsuspecting world!
Course, thats about where the similarities end. Paintings and sculptures don't usually do much collateral damage, and such pursuits as world domination tend to get in the way of your projects.

Tom OBedlam

Quote from: A.G.Morgan on June 15, 2008, 08:55:04 PM
Paintings and sculptures don't usually do much collateral damage

you've never seen me paint.

A.G.Morgan

Ah yes, often an artist can get dangerous wile working. But it takes real skill to weaponize a painted canvas.

Cassandra

Quote from: Gentleman-Adventurer on June 14, 2008, 09:39:29 PM
Archaeology ain't about the money, it's about discovery! Peeling back the layers of history like a great mysterious onion! Sifting through the remains of past epochs, to uncover their lives in vivid detail!

Oh definately. If I had wanted a career based on money rather than passion, I would be studying nursing or business like the rest of my graduating class.

Pheobsky

Sorry chemists win hands down- we get to mess around with all sorts of chemicals, & we get to sit in cafes discussing the finer points of how to nitrate methyl benzine, while waiting for chromatograms to run... not only this, but we get to amble along with the archæologists when they need various things done on site that they are incapable of doing themselves ;D 

"hah you may have found the artefact but it was I who told you that it was a sacraficial implement beloning to a kanish ajaw of the 8th bac'tun!"

not to mention that we are mad 'perfectly sane' scientists....

(OK the philosophers do have Sartre, theres nothing I can do about that, perhaps I'll join the FFF)
Them/they

Tom OBedlam

Luella Dobson

as a crewmember of the ZEP-01 I do what my captain tells me. if we're to be privateering, than so be it. I haven't the slightest reservations. :)
I'm a Jazzpunk.

General for the Study and Ultimate Disregard for the Laws of Universe through Strange and Ultimately Unfathomable Means

Gazongola

None of you can touch the drunken artists with the mad scientist hair!!!

Madboy Soli

I'm a Madboy, builder of things that whirl and grind and crunch and fiz, usual right before they kill quite alot of people in an interesting way. As you can imagine this has lead to some interesting employment opportunities.

Pirates, privateers, royal navy or merchant ship, if they can pay my wages and give me a chance to test my latest killamajig, I'll be happy to sign on.
HHAHAHA! BOOM!....heh...heh....

JingleJoe

Quote from: Gazongola on June 17, 2008, 12:20:51 AM
I know ye well; We sit alone at 3am in dark attics or lofts drinking absinthe with a canvas and paint present and brushes that don't look like brushes anymore because of the encrustation of old paint! Thats the only way to drink absinthe!
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

Gazongola

Quote from: JingleJoe on July 06, 2008, 09:22:35 PM
Quote from: Gazongola on June 17, 2008, 12:20:51 AM
I know ye well; We sit alone at 3am in dark attics or lofts drinking absinthe with a canvas and paint present and brushes that don't look like brushes anymore because of the encrustation of old paint! Thats the only way to drink absinthe!

Or anything else you can get your hands on... that bottle of turps looks real friendly...

JingleJoe

Hahaha! Good show Mr.D ;) ...
*Licks lips and drums fingers on empty glass* it does ...
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

Katrina Broekhart

One whose buckle is thoroughly swashed.

I play a pirate at RenFaires, and Talk Like a Pirate Day is the best holiday EVER. I was Pirate long before I was Steampunk, though Steampirate is a fascinating concept. A seagoing one, though. I rather liked the ship in the film adaptation of The Golden Compass, though it was a most disappointing movie overall. 
"Ah... how terrible. Now the tea I worked so hard to prepare has become meaningless."

SteamBlast Mary

Best pirate film ever HAS to be The Crimson Pirate with Burt Lancaster. He is the benchmark we should take our standard from. (Goes a bit goody-goody towards the end but that was the era).

And it has a submarine, hot air balloon and a Nitroglycerin-wielding scientist in it. Quality!
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

Katrina Broekhart

Quote from: SteamBlast_Mary on July 10, 2008, 11:53:49 AM
Best pirate film ever HAS to be The Crimson Pirate with Burt Lancaster. He is the benchmark we should take our standard from. (Goes a bit goody-goody towards the end but that was the era).

And it has a submarine, hot air balloon and a Nitroglycerin-wielding scientist in it. Quality!

Seconded!
"Ah... how terrible. Now the tea I worked so hard to prepare has become meaningless."

Albrecht

Thirded!

The Crimson Pirate is the one pirate movie from this era I can still watch without cringing or laughing out loud.

Oh, the pirate comedy with Bob Hope (is it "The Princess and the Pirate"?) is ace, too, for other reasons, obviously. ;D

Chrononaut

Then of course there's always Yellowbeard

Precious D

I'm a zombie ninja robot pirate from outer space.

We're all in it together.
http://www.cafepress.com/zhunter

Katrina Broekhart

Quote from: Precious D on July 26, 2008, 03:34:23 AM
I'm a zombie ninja robot pirate from outer space.

How odd! A pleasure to meet you, sir!

Agito Novus

The Setzer is not a pirate ship. We're freelance cargo transporters and abandoned goods repositioning agents, who once worked in a career in blockade running.

Not piracy. We only rob in self-defense.
Silencius Vel Nex

Hepzibah Falkenheim

Bah, pirates. As if the zombies and mad scientists weren't enough trouble...

Just once I'd like to collect package and get it to its destination without having to pry grapeshot out of my deck (or my crew)  >:(
""When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

-- C. S. Lewis, 1966"

A.G.Morgan

Quote from: Hepzibah Falkenheim on July 26, 2008, 11:39:59 PM
Bah, pirates. As if the zombies and mad scientists weren't enough trouble...

Just once I'd like to collect package and get it to its destination without having to pry grapeshot out of my deck (or my crew)  >:(

I'd suggest bigger and/or more guns.