News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Murdoch Mysteries

Started by R G Stephenson, June 02, 2008, 06:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

From the actor Thomas Craig at the MCM Expo they are making the 5th series now.
Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!

Blake

only caught the last 3 episodes of this series, will have to keep an eye out for the episodes or a cheap copy of the dvds
lost in thought, not vacated the premises.

Rockula

Quote from: Mr Peter Harrow, Esq on June 07, 2011, 07:58:11 PM
From the actor Thomas Craig at the MCM Expo they are making the 5th series now.

Thank you, Sir.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Argus Fairbrass

I wish I'd heard about this a bit sooner as I'm having some difficulty finding all the episodes on line. From what I have seen it looks excellent.

Murdoch Mysteries: The Curse Of The Lost Pharaohs

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

Countessa Lenora

I bring grave news!  There has been an announcement regarding the cancellation of our beloved Murdoch!

http://www.rogersmediatv.ca/pr_detail.php?id=425

There are people working on preventing this.  There is a petition to sign...

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savemurdochmysteries/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=button

You can also write to, or get an executive at Alibi to contact, this gentleman...

Malcolm Dunlop
Executive Vice President of Programming
Rogers TV

Fans are quite upset about all this crazy talk of cancelling. Let's see if we can change the minds at the top. 
Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk

Michael Farley

I think this is a real shame so I've just signed the petition. I discovered MM about a month ago; I was reading a random list of steampunk-inspired films, tv series and video games and the idea of a sherlock-free victorian detective drama intrigued me. Now I'm well and truly hooked and have already watched all of the first series and most of the second.

Hopefully the DVD box-sets will sell well and CityTV will be inspired to revive it. When Firefly (one of my other all-time favourite TV programmes) was cancelled, the DVD box-set sales and audience reaction were strong enough to convince Universal that it was worth making the follow-up film Serenity.

Angelica Needle

Hmmm, sounds to me like it's coming to a natural conclusion, as opposed to Firefly that was chopped before half the story had been told. How many shows do you wish had been stopped earlier after they drag out yet another disaster for the main character, or keep stringing along the will-they, won't-they storyline?
It's always a shame when they stop a show you love, but I'd rather they quit while they're ahead and finish it well rather than end in an ignominious whimper because everyone has stopped watching it.
The sound of the gentle rattle of china cup on china saucer drives away all demons, a little-known fact.
Terry Pratchett, Snuff

Michael Farley

I'm only mid-way through the second series so I don't know yet how the story progresses during the third and fourth series. You may be right that it's time for MM to come to a natural conclusion, rather than dragging it out just for the sake of it.

In my experience, most dramas run out of steam (no pun intended) after about a half-dozen series, so maybe it is a good thing it's being wrapped up. Having read the press release posted by Countessa Lenora, the introduction of new recurring characters is always a worry because it suggests that the writers have run out of ideas for the current cast.

I do feel sorry for Britain's ex-soap stars though. With The Bill now finished and MM coming to a close, how are all those former Coronation Street and Eastenders actors supposed to make a living? I suppose there's always panto...

Mr Addams

Five years is not a bad run for a detective television series, it is not as if Murdoch Mysteries is being knocked on its head before it gets the chance to meet its full potential.
I will be sad to see the series go, but I would rather it reaches a satisfying conclusion, than watch it jump the shark, and become another tired cop drama.

Argus Fairbrass

Agreed, if it's reaching a natural conclusion I have no problem with that. Obviously I haven't read the novels it's based on and have no idea how many there are or how (if at all) the show's storyline differs.

TimeTinker

The shows storylines do differ.  The writer of the original stories Maureen Jennings is delightful and we had the pleasure to meet her when we were at the CNSE so ably facilitated by the good Countess and others.

Maureen told us that she had run out of stories as far as the books to screen go.  She is a consusltant and writer on the series.

It may be a natural conclusion but as an affirmed fan (you can judge by the signed books and the photos of the Memsahib and I with some of the stars - Inspector Crabtree is without doubt a kindred spirit) I will be saddened by its passing.  (Might as well sign the petition anyway ;))
[move]BE SPLENDID![/move]

Rockula

I do not feel that the series has ever 'jumped the shark' nor can I detect any decrease in quality between the beginning of series 1 and the end of series 4.

I would be VERY sad to see this show end and I will, of course, be signing the petition.

Countessa Lenora

Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk

Rockula

ladyelsie

HUZZAH !!!! The power of the Fans. We look forward to seeing the new stories as soon as they are available.

L..E.

We are enjoying all the reruns each day on Alibi.

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

Harrumble!

Obviously never upset a fanbase largely composed of people who have their own deathrays!

I love this series, now if the BBC were showing it as well it would get the exposure it really deserves.

Melancholy Romantic

Quote from: Countessa Lenora on November 16, 2011, 12:07:11 PM
This news just makes my day.  Murdoch has been saved!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2011/11/15/murdoch-mysteries-cbc.html

We have never missed an episode. An excellent mystery series with a fine cast, well-written characters, excellent depiction of Victorian times and science ...and Steampunk elements (in some episodes) to boot!

Stella Gaslight

I love this show so much and am looking forward to a new season and getting all my friends hooked on it.
I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight

Angus A Fitziron

Having recently got for my birthday the Series 1-3 box set which does include the 3 longer pre-Yannick Bisson editions, with the lovely Keeley Hawes and a new to me Flora Montgomery, I have to join the long list of fans of Murdoch Mysteries. Not being a fan of the 'other' Murdochs, I don't have Sky (I watch too much TV anyway) so this box set is a great way of getting into a new series. It strikes me as being absolutely spot on for ITV3 in the UK, if money and contracts permitted, as a good way of getting it onto mainstream free to air TV.

Observations:
D.I. Thomas Brackenreid seems to me a very similar character to Philip Glenister's DCI Gene Hunt (this is not a bad thing - but - who copied was inspired by whom?;
The constant gentle humour and puns make this easy viewing, for example, the wind up phonograph in Dr.Ogden's morgue and Jonny Harris' George Crabtree - you never quite know if he is a genius or ... not, the phrase Concession 51 in the series 1 finale The Annoying Red Planet;
The repeats of the street scene outside the police station gets a bit, well, repetitive. I guess it allows continuity when viewed live with adverts no doubt in those slots and also I suppose I may be being over critical due to watching whole series end to end...

I don't know how many more will be in my position of watching by DVD (and hence waiting until 4 and 5 are released in the UK) but'spoilers' tags would be appreciated. I know certain people over on the Dr.Who thread have the opinion that if you don't want to risk spoilers don't read the thread, but I think the situation here is slightly different.

So, thank you Brass Gogglers - without you I would never have found Murdoch Mysteries.
Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"

Mr Addams

Alibi Have been keeping this pretty quiet, but the broadcast date for series five has been announced in a quiet backwater of the uktv website.

Murdoch Mysteries is due to return to Alibi at 9;00pm on Tuesday 28th February.

See Last Item on this web page.

In Further news, Te opening, two episode story, entitled 'Stroll on the Wildside' involves a game of baseball, and features a performance by "Redbirds" starting pitcher Mike Caine.

See article HERE

There are also a few on set pictures HERE

Argus Fairbrass

Ah, flexible Cancan dancers ay!  :D

I've never seen Yanik Bisson in anything else. I might have to try and track down this "Nothing too Good for a Cowboy" malarkey.

Ooh bonus, it's got Sarah Chalke in it as well!

Rockula

Season 5 on Alibi (in the U.K.) starting next Tuesday and Season 6 confirmed.

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

MWBailey

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Mr Addams

Series 5 Trailer on the Alibi Website

Alibi also now have the Curse of the lost pharaohs, episodes 1 - 12 online HERE

And after a bit of a search, I found the (So far,) missing 13th episode HERE