News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Murdoch Mysteries

Started by R G Stephenson, June 02, 2008, 06:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockula

Just to let people know.

Although we're currently on Season 8 in the U.K...

Season 9 has been confirmed.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

The show they cannot kill!

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!

Rockula

Murdoch Mysteries: The Infernal Device.

Teaser...
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Shows/Murdoch+Mysteries/ID/2660843976/

''Something sinister is in the works. The fate of the world hangs in the balance and Murdoch needs your help. A new interactive experience begins April 8th at cbc.ca/murdochmysteries ''

Blake

will need to watch the series on dvd, found it went like big bang theory when on tv. Found I was always catching the same episodes which tended to be seasons apart.
lost in thought, not vacated the premises.

Banfili

Hooray!
ABC Australia is going to start showing the 'Murdoch Mysteries'!

Rockula

Quote from: Banfili on August 04, 2015, 04:22:13 AM
Hooray!
ABC Australia is going to start showing the 'Murdoch Mysteries'!

Have they not shown any?
If not then I envy you the 114 episodes you'll be seeing for the first time.  :)

Banfili

Nary a one - I think they may have been on pay tv, but that doesn't happen in my house.
I look forward to the experience.

Angus A Fitziron

So, it looks like Murdoch Mysteries series 6 onwards won't be made available as region 2 DVDs. I suppose this is because most DVD players now seem to be multi region capable? However, my question is - should I go for region 1 (USA and Canada NTSC) or region 4 (Australia / NZ alledgedly PAL)? The region 4 seems to take forever to arrive and post is a bit higher cost but is there an improvement in video quality due to no PAL / NTSC recoding? Or should I just get myself a BluRay?

Thoughts people, getting withdrawal symptoms now I've got to the end of Once Upon a Time...

ffitz
Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"

Rockula

Quote from: Angus A Fitziron on August 27, 2015, 03:02:53 PM
So, it looks like Murdoch Mysteries series 6 onwards won't be made available as region 2 DVDs. I suppose this is because most DVD players now seem to be multi region capable? However, my question is - should I go for region 1 (USA and Canada NTSC) or region 4 (Australia / NZ alledgedly PAL)? The region 4 seems to take forever to arrive and post is a bit higher cost but is there an improvement in video quality due to no PAL / NTSC recoding? Or should I just get myself a BluRay?

Thoughts people, getting withdrawal symptoms now I've got to the end of Once Upon a Time...

ffitz

I have a multi-region DVD/All Zone Blu-ray.
Covers ALL the bases. :)

Angus A Fitziron

Thanks, I guess that it is the answer and I understand the later series really benefit from true HD and not just up-scaling. Thanks Rockula.
Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"

Banfili

Actually, it's a commercial channel going to show the series - ads, dammit!
No info about scheduling yet. Hope after all this build-up and anticipation it's all worth the wait!

Rockula

Season 9 has started in Canada.
It will be shown on the 'Alibi' channel in the U.K. from January 2016.

Amazon Prime, for those who use it, now have the complete Seasons 1 - 7.

Athanor

The Murdoch Mysteries series has been fascinating with its turn-of-the-20th-century ambience, and just about everything - the street scenes, the clothing, the social climate, the technology and transportation has all been pretty much authentic right up until tonight's (November 25th in Canada) episode, which has Murdoch and the female private detective "Fred" Pink riding the train up to the Algonquins to solve a crime committed many years before.

But the train - ohmigawd - a British Railways for cryin out loud Ivatt-designed 43000-series 2-6-0 built during the late 1940s and early 50s, in early BR livery style with the Lion-and-Wheel  (or "Ferret and Dartboard") emblem on the tender, hauling a train of what looked like BR Mark 1 coaches dating from the 1950s ...... that just ruined the illusion for me. I mean really; they do such a good job with everything else - couldn't they find a Canadian, or at least North American, preserved train of about the right era??

Why, oh why, is it almost always the trains that they get wrong? A Southern "King Arthur" 4-6-0 carries the detective Poirot from Paddington to Bristol - I mean, couldn't the programme producers find a more appropriate  locomotive among the plethora of preserved Great Western types? A Southern "Schools" class 4-4-0, a type that to my knowledge never, ever in pre-preservation days ventured further north than the London area, on what is supposed to be a branchline somewhere in the North Yorkshire Moors, in the "Heartbeat" series?

C'mon guys - surely you can do better than this?

Athanor.  
Vero vobis dico, qui quaerit, inveniet eius. Et saepius, parum volet.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.

Rockula

There is a 2-hour 'Christmas Special' being shown on 'Alibi' on Monday 21st December.

And the UK Season 9 premiere is confirmed for Monday 25th January (also on 'Alibi').

Banfili

Still hasn't started here - beginning to get impatient!

Rockula

And Season 10 now confirmed.

Banfili

Have started here, running two eps back to back.
Just in time for the smart card in my tellie's black box to die - sigh!

Colonel Hawthorne

Egad! I find it's running here too (on pay tv). Series 8 ep. 8 looks like being the first I'll see.
Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?

SeVeNeVeS

Rockula

Season 11 was confirmed.

No surprise really.  :)

Rockula

Season 11 will show on Alibi in the UK starting January 2018.
Same release date in the USA and other international broadcasters.

It's already showing in Canada.

It's HIGHLY unlikely to be cancelled.

Rockula

And, as if there was any doubt, Season 12 is go.  :D

Rockula

Just out of interest am I the only person who's been watching since the first TV movie 14 years ago?
Yes. 14 YEARS.

Banfili

Probably you are!
Didn't even start on free-to-air here until about 2 yrs ago!

Rockula

Just a 'heads up' for UK viewers who watch through 'Virgin Cable'.
From tomorrow Virgin are dropping all 10 of the 'UKTV Play' channels including 'Alibi', 'Drama', 'Dave', 'UKGold', etc. and you will no longer be able to see 'Murdoch Mysteries' amongst many other things.
If you're on Sky satellite there's no change.