News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

TOP STEAMPUNK MOTION PICTURES

Started by Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught, June 06, 2008, 12:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lady sakara

Quote from: darky on August 20, 2008, 07:42:58 AM
Perhaps I'm blind .... but nobody talks about "TAXANDRIA", 1994 belgian film by animator Raoul Servais (with a big visual work from François Schuiten)

Perhaps isn't it steampunk enough ?

Could well be because it is in fact, Belgian  ;D
ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!!!!!...... if you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice.

Marrock

Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught

I've just bought, on DVD, "The Infinite Worlds of H G Wells.". Its a Hallmark mini series & I'm almost afraid to open the box. It looks so good, but it could also be So, so bad. Please, can anyone tell me what to expect. I do not mind B Movies, but bad Wells would be too traumatic!!!

tea and dandelions

Did anyone say Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events?
I love this one.
I know the books are better but as a movie it's great.
I love the dresses!

Demiurge

Has anyone mentioned Chitty Chitty Bang Bang yet?  ;D

Seriously...

SteamBlast Mary

Quote from: tea and dandelions on September 02, 2008, 09:22:50 PM
Did anyone say Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events?
I love this one.
I know the books are better but as a movie it's great.
I love the dresses!

I went to see that at the cimena, all full of hope. Sooo disappointed with the narratative, couldn't put my finger on exactly why but it did seem to drag so.

Visually, yes, it's wonderful. The set/costume designs and cinematography in general was a treat for the eyes and the aesthetic but as a whole, it sadly fell flat.
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

Emmeline X

Quote from: Demiurge on September 04, 2008, 09:35:25 PM
Has anyone mentioned Chitty Chitty Bang Bang yet?  ;D

Seriously...
I mentioned The Childcatcher in the Heroes and Villains thread  :)
J'ai réinventé le passé pour voir la beauté de l'avenir.

http://www.myspace.com/destructogirl

Demiurge

Thinking back on it, I believe the whole of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is really quite Steampunk. From the clockwork and inventions which permiate every part of the movie, to the "British-ness" which seems to be instilled through it, and I even recall Dick Van Dyke wearing goggles!

Anders_McNabb

What about Perfect Creatures (2006)?

"Oh my...airships!...all it needs now is a steam powered automobile and...oh look....joy"

Anders_McNabb

sorry... I meant:

Perfect Creature (2006)?

MhicWombat

Jack, you've debauched my sloth!

SteamBlast Mary

Stardust must've been cited by now, surely?

Fantastic film on virtually every level, and it's got an airship and Robert De Nero as... well, I'm sure you remember.
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught

Quote from: Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught on August 29, 2008, 11:21:01 PM
I've just bought, on DVD, "The Infinite Worlds of H G Wells.". Its a Hallmark mini series & I'm almost afraid to open the box. It looks so good, but it could also be So, so bad. Please, can anyone tell me what to expect. I do not mind B Movies, but bad Wells would be too traumatic!!!
I'm quoting myself again, but I can now recommend the above thoroughly!

Marrock

If it's a Hallmark mini-series, it'll be one of the best things you ever watched.

So far I haven't seen one I wouldn't be happy to have on my shelf.

Monti Christo

Um, how about Frankenstein? (the Kenneth Branagh / Robert De Niro version) The scene where he brings the monster to life was pretty steampunk.
I have to say I agree with most of the other movies that have been mentioned, although I was a bit disappointed to see Sleepy Hollow wasn't mentioned until 4 pages into the thread. Johnny Depp's gadgets are totally steampunk. I want the glasses and creepy scalpel.
Dark City certainly fits the bill, as does the Dark Brotherhood.
Probably one of my favorite parts of chitty-chitty bang bang is the clockwork song and dance at the castle. It's cheesy, but catchy.
I also love the train and gun from Back to the Future 3.
What about Willy Wonka? (either version?)
Obviously there are varying degrees of steampunk movies.
"Well a process man am I and I'm tellin' you no lie
I work and breathe among the fumes that tread across the sky
There's thunder all around me and there's poison in the air
There's a lousy smell that smacks of hell and dust all in me hair" -Great Big Sea

AndiiV

I would suggest the second and (especially) third films in the Mad Max series. And Westworld perhaps?
www.youtube.com/c/ghostfiremusic
www.facebook.com/ghostfireuk

Dusza Beben

Has anyone mentioned Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang?

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"

Marrock

Quote from: Dusza Beben on November 16, 2008, 12:37:47 AM
Has anyone mentioned Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang?

DB

Several times so far.

I just finished watching "The Adventures of Mark Twain", a claymation movie that featured a rather interesting airship Twain was using to try to reach Haley's comet.

Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught

Quote from: Monti Christo on November 15, 2008, 03:14:32 PM
Um, how about Frankenstein? (the Kenneth Branagh / Robert De Niro version) The scene where he brings the monster to life was pretty steampunk.
I have to say I agree with most of the other movies that have been mentioned, although I was a bit disappointed to see Sleepy Hollow wasn't mentioned until 4 pages into the thread. Johnny Depp's gadgets are totally steampunk. I want the glasses and creepy scalpel.
Dark City certainly fits the bill, as does the Dark Brotherhood.
Probably one of my favorite parts of chitty-chitty bang bang is the clockwork song and dance at the castle. It's cheesy, but catchy.
I also love the train and gun from Back to the Future 3.
What about Willy Wonka? (either version?)
Obviously there are varying degrees of steampunk movies.
I admire the Branagh version greatly & not just because hes a countryman of mine from a small country. But I admire the Edison one more!

Anastacia

I am going to throw my two cents in with the Corpse Bride.

Other than the whole victorian feel the movie had, the puppets themselves were clockwork creations.  Wonderful stuff!!

NYCPulpVillain

The non-Will Smith parts in Wild Wild West. And Kenneth Branagh (spelling?) was simply entertaining as Loveless.

clockwork creation

the goldan compass was a let down i think, its ap itty i realy loved the books, the best thing about that film was the toys :D i got a magesterium zep in the 99p store :D:D:D
I am a freak in control not a control freak

Dusza Beben

I've just ordered The Great Race and Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines on DVD.
If there were more steampunks in my area I'd have a movie night!

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"

NYCPulpVillain

Quote from: AndiiV on November 15, 2008, 10:41:42 PM
I would suggest the second and (especially) third films in the Mad Max series. And Westworld perhaps?

Mad Max? Westworld? Far from it. Thunderdome was post-apocalyptic and nothing genteel about it. As for Westworld, I'd say retro-futurist.

SteamDream

Of course Thunderdome was steam punk. Don't you remember all the boilers and steam under the city. Sure it wasn't as steam punk as steamboy, but it was steamy enough for me.