News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

TOP STEAMPUNK MOTION PICTURES

Started by Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught, June 06, 2008, 12:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndiiV

Yep, the whole of Bartertown was powered by pig shit - which in turn made methane which in turn made steam power. Isn't that Steampunk? If you take Steampunk outside of Victoriana, and look at it more as futuristic technology meeting more archaic times and values, then Westworld definitely fits the bill.
www.youtube.com/c/ghostfiremusic
www.facebook.com/ghostfireuk

Ky_phosis

I was too lazy to see if this was posted but (okay it's more Cyberpunk, so shoot me with a laser gun) Hardware. Wierd little sci-fi flick out of Britain in the 80's. And has a glorious cameo from the original goth rock grime cowboy, Carl McCoy. <3

Monti Christo

Just warched an odd little movie last night called "The Fall." I admit it wasn't very steampunk, but check out the costumes and scenery. Absolutely beautiful. Also, Charles Darwin in a bright feather coat seemed a little steamish.
"Well a process man am I and I'm tellin' you no lie
I work and breathe among the fumes that tread across the sky
There's thunder all around me and there's poison in the air
There's a lousy smell that smacks of hell and dust all in me hair" -Great Big Sea

Doc Rivets

Quote from: Gnome on June 06, 2008, 10:25:32 PM

Though I don't really see the steampunk in Equilibrium... It's more of a neo-Art Deco revival aesthetic with a touch of Soviet utilitarianism, even with the airships.

Have to agree. I watched this the other night and there's nothing steampunk about it. Not a bad film after a slow start but, not SP at all despite  a few zeps.

Doc
"The law of gravity, may need to be repealed."

Prof. Alastor Hellstromme

did anyone mentions

Sleepy Hollow,Vidocq , Full Metal Alchemist (the serie and movie), steamboy? 

Mallin

No one has mention Wormtooth Nation!?!?  (at least as far as I have noticed)

Quote from: Creators of Wormtooth NationGeoff: I've got this steampunk idea for an underground city where no-one dies, only instead gets recycled in a postmortem game-show.
Cullen: I always thought a steampunk Midsummer Night's Dream would be cool.
Geoff: Let's do both of them!
Cullen: A Steampunk Midsummer Night's Dream set in an underground city where no-one ever dies?
Geoff: Awesome.

It was created as a series of 9 episodes that you can watch here, but its out on DVD as feature length movie that you can buy on their website now.
Local to the Western United States, a new group
http://steampunk.messageforums.net/

Marrock

How about The Abominable Dr. Phibes & Dr. Phibes Rises Again?

You can never, ever, go wrong with Mr. Vincent Price.

Monti Christo

This thread has kicked off a movie watching marathon of sorts at my house. Today it was spiderwick chronicles, Van Helsing, and The Time Machine (2002). Tomorrow's lineup is Delicatessen, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and Brotherhood of the Wolf. Maybe I'll scrounge up my copy of Vidocq for good measure.
There's a lousy smell that smacks of hell and dust all in me hair" -Great Big Sea

KhaiJBach

I know it's been mentioned but here's a link to it's glory..

the Amazing Screw On Head!

*to avoid the fecking spam filter.

in a world where they make 'Knight Rider' this was not picked up for a series....

Monti Christo

Just finished Delicatessen. Le tout en Francais, sans sus-titres. What about that was supposed to be steampunk???

Doc Rivets

Quote from: Marrock on November 22, 2008, 04:16:10 PM

You can never, ever, go wrong with Mr. Vincent Price.

er...yes. You can.
But then again, he is so wonderfully whacky, he's even good in a BAD film! Gotta love old VP.

Doc

Doc Rivets

Somebody suggested "Orlando" too... watched it and , nope..sorry, NOTHING steampunk about that puppy at all. One part was set in Victorian England, but that doesn't make it steampunk any more than Jane Austen or Oliver Twist, is steampunk.

Doc

cyberjacques

Is it just me, or does Wormtooth Nation have more than a few things in common with City of Ember?
"To mewl and blabber about a treasure map, in front of this particular crew, demonstrates a level of ineptitude that borders on the imbecilic.  And I mean that in a very caring way."
                                                     ~Captain Amelia of the RLS Legacy, Treasure Planet

Mallin

Quote from: cyberjacques on November 25, 2008, 08:47:13 PM
Is it just me, or does Wormtooth Nation have more than a few things in common with City of Ember?

Having seen both I would say that they have a few things in common, 1. Post-Apocalypse underground city and 2. Oppressive Mayor/Dictator. Really, all other similarities are derivative from the first two, like a hero trying to escape to find the world above no-one believes in, only a logical conclusion when you start with the first two.
Local to the Western United States, a new group
http://steampunk.messageforums.net/

Zorch

Quoteonly a logical conclusion when you start with the first two

Agreed.  Not much cause for drama when everybody gets along fine all the time and are happy with the status quo
To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering - Aldo Leopold

1st Lt

I say chaps!! One has just stumbled across this veritable cornucopia of celebration towards steam punk and I felt it imperative to submit a request for membership to the Chairman (who, most felicitously expedited one's request with some alacrity) in order to comment upon subject matter of this conversation.
Having perused all the pages within the periodical associated with this subject, I am somewhat alarmed that not one person has felt fit to put forward that kinematographic delight 'Dune'.
Having watched it again recently, there are many steam punk references within, one's particular favourite is the spice guilds interpretor.

Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught

Quote from: Doc Rivets on November 20, 2008, 07:09:32 AM
Quote from: Gnome on June 06, 2008, 10:25:32 PM

Though I don't really see the steampunk in Equilibrium... It's more of a neo-Art Deco revival aesthetic with a touch of Soviet utilitarianism, even with the airships.

Have to agree. I watched this the other night and there's nothing steampunk about it. Not a bad film after a slow start but, not SP at all despite  a few zeps.

Doc
Bearing in mind Tsiolkovsky "The Father of Cosomonautics" was born in Tsarist Russia & his dreams sent Yuri Gargarin into space I would argue Soviet Utilitarianisim belongs to steampunk. [If only the Style Evil Steampunks choose]. Fair enough, the argument has about as much worth as a dog peeing on something to say thats mine, but thats what this threat, Motion Pic wise, is about. Ohhhh, the Right Stuff. Now I'm pushing my luck. But so did Chuck Yaeger. "Is that a man?" "Damn right it is boy!"

RemyRasmus

Quote from: Gnome on June 06, 2008, 04:00:48 AM
The Fall is a magnificent film. It takes place around the dawn of motion pictures in a hospital. It's only steampunk in that there's an absolutely gorgeous sequence that opens the film that almost couldn't be more Weird West if it tried and it prominently features a warped version of Charles Darwin... For those of you that care about reviews, its current IMDB score is 8.4 and is still showing in the occasional theater.

OMG!

I can't believe you mentioned that movie!

True, it's not flamboyantly steampunk, but there is just something about the film.....

I love love LOVE that movie. Bought a copy when it came out to vid. After having seen in six times in the cinemas.
The word "Raxocorriblefallabatorius" is on a loop in my brain. Someone help.
"Gorramit you frakking smeghead."

Lieutenant Colonel Amos S

the city of lost children a brilliant french bordello style film it was amazing

Quote from: Prof_Auerbach on June 06, 2008, 12:54:43 AM
"The City of Lost Children"...definitely established inspiration for steampunk imagery.
Spoiler: ShowHide

Doc Rivets

Quote from: Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught on November 28, 2008, 01:33:21 AM
Bearing in mind Tsiolkovsky "The Father of Cosomonautics" was born in Tsarist Russia & his dreams sent Yuri Gargarin into space I would argue Soviet Utilitarianisim belongs to steampunk. [If only the Style Evil Steampunks choose]. Fair enough, the argument has about as much worth as a dog peeing on something to say thats mine, but thats what this threat, Motion Pic wise, is about. Ohhhh, the Right Stuff. Now I'm pushing my luck. But so did Chuck Yaeger. "Is that a man?" "Damn right it is boy!"

then by that rationale, ANY film is steampunk, if we just say it is. Which is not the point of the thread. Equilibrium is not steampunk, neither is The Right Stuff. Both good films in their own right, but not SP. The fact is there are actually damned few films that ARE SP, and a lot that are sort of "fringe SP". And even more, that ain't.

Doc

Lieutenant Colonel Amos S

i must agree here with the good doctor chaps. steam punk has a very specific style city of lost children was of course a purposeful sp movie but most theat are considered sp will be adopted yet equilibrium although having archetiectual sp elements is not. it is more along the lines of a distopian futurist/totalitarion sci-fi genre. which are of course amazing glimpses into our future believe it or not the movie wall-e had a pretty grim loook at the future of the consumer culture watch it and if you notice it message me personally :)

Quote from: Doc Rivets on November 30, 2008, 08:06:04 AM
Quote from: Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught on November 28, 2008, 01:33:21 AM

then by that rationale, ANY film is steampunk, if we just say it is. Which is not the point of the thread. Equilibrium is not steampunk, neither is The Right Stuff. Both good films in their own right, but not SP. The fact is there are actually damned few films that ARE SP, and a lot that are sort of "fringe SP". And even more, that ain't.

Doc

Pat Regan

Quote from: antigonejones on June 15, 2008, 07:52:00 AM
*gasp of horror*

Has no one thought to mention "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" -- or is that just because it's so totally assumed to be THE calibration steampunk movie that no one thinks it needs to be mentioned?

I mean ... Captain Nemo.  Brass fittings.  Red velvet couches.  Jules Verne.  The Nautilus.

*sniffles a bit*

Disney's 1954 version is the definitive representation of Imagi-Victorian technologies; and first in Technicolor and Cinemascope!     

Fiachna

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but I'm going to throw out Fritz Lang's Metropolis, science fiction from 1927, steam pistons, affluent upperclass, oppressed lower class, gears! Whilst I doubt the thought going through Fritz Lang's head was "I'm going to make a steampunk flick" I would say that it provided a pillar to stand on for future steampunks.

Captain McCannon

Hellboy 2 had lots of steamy eye candy, as did Stardust.

Whenever anyone asks "What's steampunk", though, I usually just point them towards Wild Wild West.
"I'm a horrible Captain, why do you think they shoved me on the S.S. Failboat here?"

Anders_McNabb

Quote from: Monti Christo on November 23, 2008, 02:52:18 AM
Tomorrow's lineup is Delicatessen, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and Brotherhood of the Wolf.

A quality day's viewing!
(Think I'll just watch Sky Captain on the old telly box now...)