News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

TOP STEAMPUNK MOTION PICTURES

Started by Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught, June 06, 2008, 12:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPBrewer

Quote from: Voltin on July 10, 2012, 09:12:22 PM
I actually enjoyed Young Einstein. I have not watched it since it was first released over twenty years ago. I was thinking that it was going to be very cheesy and childish. Which it was but in a most entertaining kind of way  ;)

I love "Young Einstein" too.  I'm collecting parts to build his Electricfied Violin. 
I need some help on some Tasmanian Electrical parts, but will start a thead in the Tactile Forum.
Someone really needs to know their Science History to enjoy many of the jokes.
The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

SPBrewer

Quote from: James Harrison on September 16, 2012, 03:11:02 PM
If it has already been mentioned (and after 21 pages of this thread I think that plausible) I apologise....

The Great Race definitely, definitely has a certain steampunk flair about it...

Professor Fate - Daredevil Stunt #1

I love "The Great Race".  A friend of mine carried the soaking wet and scantly clad Natalie Wood out of the lake.  I asked him, "Ken, you actually accepted money to do that?"  ;)   Shucks, I would have paid Blake Edwards for the honor.
I do love the contraptions, especially in the begining minutes.  Professor Fates Bicycle for Two Air Ship especially.  :)
The Sky Pirate

SPBrewer

I've got a friend who writes for the Sci-Fi* channel, and just dropped a bug into his ear, "What the world wants is a good Steampunk movie.  We'll see how far it gets.  I'm half way tempted to give his e-mail address out and let all here bombard him with requests.  ;)

The Sky Pirate

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: SPBrewer on November 10, 2014, 03:53:35 AM
Quote from: James Harrison on September 16, 2012, 03:11:02 PM
If it has already been mentioned (and after 21 pages of this thread I think that plausible) I apologise....

The Great Race definitely, definitely has a certain steampunk flair about it...

Professor Fate - Daredevil Stunt #1

I love "The Great Race".  A friend of mine carried the soaking wet and scantly clad Natalie Wood out of the lake.  I asked him, "Ken, you actually accepted money to do that?"  ;)   Shucks, I would have paid Blake Edwards for the honor.
I do love the contraptions, especially in the begining minutes.  Professor Fates Bicycle for Two Air Ship especially.  :)

Another similar movie with some of the same cast and plot line was  Monte Carlo or Bust a.k.a. Those Daring Young Men in their Jaunty Jalopies  from the same camp as Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064688/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoGDlAYa6tY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Those_Magnificent_Men_in_their_Flying_Machines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN74T2v6Hg8

SPBrewer

Some of the characteristics that make Steampunk, IMHO, is science and adventures.  So while this film is not Steampunk, it contains some of the characteristics of Steampunk.  I would LOVE to see this remade as a Full Steampunk Aural-Ocular adventure.
   You will have to have a good memory to recall this 1967 adventure flick.  It IS available through Netflix, problem is, it looks like someone recorded it by aiming a video recorder at a TV screen.  The name of the film is "Island of the Lost".
   It contains a sailing ship, with a full scientific lab, pretty girls, a child and a pet seal, a strange lost island with never before seen wild animals (Which just happen to look like Dogs with Fans added to them, and flightless birds that oddly enough look like Ostrich with dangerous claws added to their feet.)
   Should any of you have seen a High Quality version of this movie, please let me know.  Even with a lower quality, it's still a great adventure film.
The Sky Pirate

Sigmund Shaw

Happy to see Young Sherlock Holmes mentioned.  And another agreement on the scariness of the Wheelers from Return to Oz.

LoneTraveler

Quote from: Abraxas on June 06, 2008, 03:48:51 AM

The Day The Earth Stood Still

I thought TDTESS was more art-deco than anything.
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

Dr Robert Maycock

Has anyone mentioned Going Postal ? It was pretty good.

Hurricane Annie

So far this holidays I have watched   2   classic movies that may be more diesel punk than   steampunk

The original 1966 Batman. It is replete with   faux Victorian and Edwardian  reference.

Mad Max 2  or the Road Warrior.   Post apocalyptic Australia.  The precursors to Rat Rods  are pretty groovy

Miranda.T

Quote from: Dr Robert Maycock on January 03, 2016, 05:59:52 PM
Has anyone mentioned Going Postal ? It was pretty good.

That was a really good adaptation. (One of these day's I'm going to get my hands on about 10 m of velvet and make a version of Adora Dearheart's dress-coat).

Quote from: Hurricane Annie on January 04, 2016, 01:54:32 AM

So far this holidays I have watched   2   classic movies that may be more diesel punk than   steampunk

The original 1966 Batman. It is replete with   faux Victorian and Edwardian  reference.

Mad Max 2  or the Road Warrior.   Post apocalyptic Australia.  The precursors to Rat Rods  are pretty groovy

MM2 was always the best of the original films (I haven't seen Fury Road so can't comment on that one). Those vehicles are ripe for Steampunking though; once all the gasoline is burnt off can't you just see them kitted out with a boiler and pistons?

Yours,
Miranda.

Dr. Madd

I happened to really love the movie "Victor Frankenstein".
What do we want? Decapitations!

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: Miranda.T l

quote author=Hurricane Annie link=topic=9515.msg958997#msg958997 date=1451872472]

MM2 was always the best of the original films (I haven't seen Fury Road so can't comment on that one). Those vehicles are ripe for Steampunking though; once all the gasoline is burnt off can't you just see them kitted out with a boiler and pistons?

Yours,
Miranda.
[/quote]

Hhmm yes . When the guzzoline  runs out

Miranda.T

Quote from: Dr. Madd on January 06, 2016, 04:24:25 AM

Interesting - as I've mentioned elsewhere, that was really savaged by the reviewers on the BBC's Film 2016. Of course, it's all in the 'eye of the beholder'. For example, I seem to be one of the few people who actually likes Van Helsing...

Yours,
Miranda.

Rockula

Quote from: Miranda.T on January 11, 2016, 05:57:55 PM
Quote from: Dr. Madd on January 06, 2016, 04:24:25 AM

Interesting - as I've mentioned elsewhere, that was really savaged by the reviewers on the BBC's Film 2016. Of course, it's all in the 'eye of the beholder'. For example, I seem to be one of the few people who actually likes Van Helsing...

Yours,
Miranda.

I loved 'Van Helsing'. And I'll no doubt watch the reboot.
And having just watched 'Victor Frankenstein' I have to say that, although it's in no way a classic, it held my attention and entertained me. Perhaps because I expected it to be the worst film in history based on certain critical reviews my expectations were very low. But it's a popcorn time waster. And that's fine by me.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

SolarCenturion

In the 70's there was a mini-series actually broadcast on network tv (censors must have been on vacation that week) my parents let me watch it because it was only Frankenstein and why not?

It was called "Frankenstein, the True Story". It was the first time I'd seen Frankenstein's Monster depicted as something other than lumbering brute. It horrified and enthralled me at the same time. I had nightmares from some bits of it and wild fantasies about others. Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory, was about as Steamy as it gets. This was probably a decade before the word "steampunk" was even coined.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Hez

Quote from: Arabella Periscope on February 05, 2014, 12:46:35 AM
Quote from: Atterton on August 14, 2013, 07:55:27 PM

I watched Vidocq, I thought it was terrible.

It was a good book.

I just found the 'Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec,' and enjoyed it very much.

I loved the movie.  Steampunk with a strong sense of humor.

Miranda.T

Quote from: SolarCenturion on September 24, 2018, 09:44:31 PM
In the 70's there was a mini-series actually broadcast on network tv (censors must have been on vacation that week) my parents let me watch it because it was only Frankenstein and why not?

It was called "Frankenstein, the True Story". It was the first time I'd seen Frankenstein's Monster depicted as something other than lumbering brute. It horrified and enthralled me at the same time. I had nightmares from some bits of it and wild fantasies about others. Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory, was about as Steamy as it gets. This was probably a decade before the word "steampunk" was even coined.

I remember seeing that one. I quite liked the idea that the creature started off 'perfect' but then rejection effects caused him to begin to decay.

Yours,
Miranda.

SolarCenturion

If this has already been discussed, please excuse me, the thread is rather long now.

I'm going to go out on a limb and nominate the Star Wars saga.

The Empire has a definite dieselpunk feel to it. The original trilogy had some nice imagery that fits into a post-apocalyptic setting. The prequels with the their depiction of Coruscant and the Old Republic had nice mix of Asian and Victorian styles. That has followed through even to the latest films, Solo in particular, I saw steamy stuff all through it. And Canto Bight from Last Jedi. Even the idea of The Force could be analogous to Aether. 
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Justin Time

I just recently discovered the Russian film/TV series "Gogol" on Tubi.  Though it is mostly supernatural, there are some "steampunk-y" gadgets here-and-there.

The trailer is here:

youtube link
Have you never wondered what it would be like to walk between the ticks and tocks of Time?

Cora Courcelle

Quote from: Justin Time on January 09, 2023, 10:49:53 PM
I just recently discovered the Russian film/TV series "Gogol" on Tubi.  Though it is mostly supernatural, there are some "steampunk-y" gadgets here-and-there.

The trailer is here:

youtube link
Looks interesting.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...