News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Anatomical / Re: Is the 1700 dead?
Last post by mizzarrogh - May 16, 2024, 07:19:00 AM
Ha ha! I think i stick to making a wig... i just got my self some of the fabric for a dress! :-) I just wanted something that would fit into the royal cort in the late 1700s. I know there are a society here, but i live a bit too far away to reach people for practical questions and i not know the members in person, but it had been super cool to be on a real world meeting on a real royal castle site! At least my aim is set there whan i can afford traveling south and stay ower for a weekm or so in the summer (unfortunately summer is always super byzzy living on an old farm and i need to help my old parents (i am worried something happen to my father if he do all the worl alone), but maybe next summer. ), I managed to find a few autentic coins, some herbs from my garden and recepies for food to bring. :-)
Aural-Ocular / Re: What Are You Listening To?...
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - May 16, 2024, 06:38:58 AM
I think I'm gonna have a punky sort of a day today.
On the playlist is..

Dead Kennedys
The Clash
Sex Pistols
Stiff Little Fingers
🎶🎶
Meta-Clubs / Re: eccentric cogs
Last post by rovingjack - May 16, 2024, 03:50:15 AM
I've been debating using one of my YouTube channels to explore some of the concepts of 'eccentric cogs' navigating the world.

one of the gear grindings I am tempted to address is the Gatekeeping vs self diagnosis debate making the rounds now.

where some talking heads seem to be dismissing people as trend chasing, looking to be quirky and unique because they can't cope with the idea of not being interesting in some way. and they don't believe people even when they get diagnosis (like people talked years ago about how everybody's kid is now suddenly ADHD, but 'really' they just don't teach their kids self control and discipline, while others theorize that it's not ADHD it literally kids being kids, and that children are not robots to be programmed and sit silently awaiting commands about what they should be doing, kids learn and grow through play and exploring with rapidly spinning minds and energetic interactions)

meanwhile there are some people convincing themselves that playing with their hair and liking cartoons as an adult means they're wired different from what they think they are supposed to have turned out based on the culturally expressed norm that really none of us ever really meet.

I kinda just want to start a series where I say, I have some diagnosis, others in process of professional exploration and some suspicions, I'm not going to tell you any of them. But I will discuss my experiences and means of coping. you can debate in the comments if that makes you think you know one of my diagnosis, and what you think it might be. but just so we are clear, viewers are even less qualified to diagnose somebody else than somebody experiencing their symptoms and having to do the work of trying to understand themselves and the methods they need to help them navigate the world.
Off Topic / Re: Somewhere between Gaaaaah ...
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - May 15, 2024, 04:47:52 PM
I've got some tinned tuna ( I do love a tuna and salad cream sandwich)

I will give that a go next time (if) he visits.

Thanks for the advice Miss Cora.

Who on earth thought me of all people would be welcoming to a cat?

There you go.......
Last post by Cora Courcelle - May 15, 2024, 04:02:41 PM
As a cat lover but not a cat owner (if one can be said to own cats - it's usually the other way round), I have to say sharing a house occasionally with someone else's cat is definitely the best way to go! 
We've had this happen a couple of times and they've always been quite respectful of our stuff and very chilled. If you want a friend for life try sharing a bit of cooked chicken or  some tinned tuna..... I hope you and Ivan continue to enjoy each others company 😺
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - May 15, 2024, 12:47:58 PM
As a general rule I don't really like cats.......(UK cats kill between 160 and 270 million small animals annually)

Over the last few days I've been leaving my back door open during the day cos it's warm.

This cat has been frequenting my garden, just lying about and not stalking with a view to kill.

He has come into the house, mooches about a bit and just lies down in my living room. Iv'e decided to let him continue as long he doesn't spray, claw or destroy anything.

He seems pretty chilled out as felines go.

So still in two minds...... Hate cats but the fluffy fella could be OK....

edit... It seems it belongs to the Naked Russian house over the back from me, so I'm gonna call him Ivan.
The "Naked Russian" house is a long story...... I may share one day.
Off Topic / Re: Things that make you go WT...
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - May 15, 2024, 07:06:52 AM
Quote from: Rockula on May 14, 2024, 06:05:38 PMBut I also notice an increase in aggressive posting and I really don't like it.

It's like politics; something that is not tolerated.

aggressive posting?

Duly Noted. I respect a Moderation Ruling. 👍🏽
Off Topic / Re: Things that make you go WT...
Last post by Rockula - May 14, 2024, 06:05:38 PM
I lurk. I appreciate. I Moderate. I've been here a long time.

I rarely offer comments as I often do not have the information or the skills to make an informed comment on Steampunk constructions. I'm more a reader of Steampunk and a watcher of Steampunk and a social gathering with Steampunks kind of person.

But I also notice an increase in aggressive posting and I really don't like it.

It's like politics; something that is not tolerated.
Aural-Ocular / Re: The Fourth Doctor Who Thre...
Last post by Justin Time - May 14, 2024, 01:56:36 PM
I've said it before elsewhere on BG; The character of the Doctor should always have remained asexual, then viewers could speculate or project their own sexuality onto him.

The recent garbage they did to retcon Davros into, simply, an evil, white male because he was offensive to the handicapped infuriated me.  I don't imagine the BBC was flooded with complaints from people in wheelchairs who felt that a mutated megalomaniac was clearly intended as an offensive anti-disabled people character. ::)

I liked the aspect that NuWho brought to the Doctor as 'the man who makes people better', but that's about as far as positive contributions to DW "lore" the new show has made, IMO.

The show has always had a spotty record on quality of writing (and acting) but the days of great stories/concepts beyond the wonky sets & FX seem to have given way to mediocre-at-best writing and flashy CGI.  It was also always intended as a family show that would appeal on different levels for the varied ages of the viewers.  That requires clever writers, not just farting aliens or monsters made of boogers.

Rather like most new reboots of other old IP, the attitude of "This ain't your father's....", "If you don't love what we're doing now, then you were never a true fan" just speaks to the dismissive ageism rampant in Whollyodd Hollywood these days.  You don't care about my old fan opinion, then you don't get my old fan viewership or any of my old fan disposable income for merchandise.

Now get off my lawn, ya hippies! ;)

JIT
United Kingdom / Re: UK Steampunks
Last post by Cora Courcelle - May 13, 2024, 09:53:22 PM
A Splendid Day Out is back at Morecambe in a few weeks, a welcome return. Again, details are on facebook.
We're planning to be there.