News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off Topic / Re: Things that make you go WT...
Last post by Sir Henry - April 22, 2024, 08:07:53 AM
I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I lurk is because I like the inspiration I get from seeing what other people have been making but I'm not currently in a position to make anything to discuss or show off myself. Life is hard for a lot of us at the moment (see several threads on here), but we don't want to lose contact with happier times.

I know myself well enough to realise that if I leave for three or more years it will be hard to rebuild the habit of contributing here. And it is going to take me at least three years of hard physical labour to do all the work needed to make this house liveable. For instance over this winter I have rebuilt the 1100 sq. ft attic: replacing joists, insulating, laying the floor, more insulating, plasterboarding, etc. on my own (a word to the wise: don't take up construction in your 60's, it really is too late to start). It's just so tiring that I don't have the time or brain space to contribute here, despite it being my only social outlet.

So no, it isn't apathy - the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. And I'll see you again on the other side, if I survive.
Geographical / Re: Yeovil Railway Centre - St...
Last post by CrazedFandango - April 22, 2024, 07:28:18 AM
Sounds good.  I'll try and make it.
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - April 22, 2024, 05:12:21 AM
well if you are a member of a Steampunk forum maybe, just maybe you should show some interest in Steampunk projects, veiws and attitudes.

If not interested in a particular topic at least show some appreciation for the endless hours of hard work not to mention the finacial cost the Admin put into keeping this place alive to enable you to lurk and say nothing.

Posting a contraversial topic knowing it would be edited was my attempt to get some responce from the apethetic.

If VC decides f&£$ it what's the piont anymore and pulls the plug, and to be honest I would'nt blame him, we all would be forced screaming to those social media sites that we all hate so much.

There I've said my piece and will not comment any further.
Tactile / Re: That 'big project' I've be...
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - April 22, 2024, 04:23:05 AM
Phew! the taps match, there was some doubts.

Just throwing another thought into the ring, if you haven't already decided on floor tiles you could continue the floorboards you replaced in the hallway and leave it as a wooden floor, alot of that chipboard will be destroyed when lifted.
The only slight issue could be a shortfall in the door height as in a gap at the bottoom.
Coming along and moving forward, great job so far.
Last post by von Corax - April 21, 2024, 11:46:34 PM
Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on April 21, 2024, 05:43:32 PMselective editing but I can accept it. At least it issues one point.....and that includes Mods...... the like button is an easy out.

It seemed like a valid question.
Last post by Justin Time - April 21, 2024, 10:24:29 PM
Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on April 21, 2024, 02:27:23 PMWhy do members here just lurk and not reply?

Maybe, sometimes, people come here to read and have nothing to contribute?

However, I suspect it is because posting on forums doesn't get the "instant" replies/comments like Twaddle and Nit-Wit and other (anti)social media does.  You can't experience that immediate "rush" if you have to wait days for feedback.

JIT
Last post by James Harrison - April 21, 2024, 07:30:59 PM
Ah!  I hadn't uploaded the pictures, had I?

It matches the washbasin and the first copper tap that I bought. 

Or it will, when it's been assembled. 

Other news; after all the mythering and thinking about it, I allowed my inner Clarkson to take to the floor.  Literally. 

Once some of the tiles came up I started finding gaps and screws in the floor. 

After a bit of a struggle a sheet of plywood came up. 

And below that....

I think I've got a chipboard floor in there, throughout. 
I'm going to take out as many of the tiles as I can (I need to leave some in place unless I want the current washbasin and the WC to fall over) and then when I've done that I'm going to paint the two walls, and then have my new basin plumbed in, the existing basin taken out, and the bathtub and WC at least taken down from the wall so that we can get the tiling done. 
The Engine Room / Re: Recent Site Access Issue
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - April 21, 2024, 06:52:04 PM
Quote from: von Corax on April 21, 2024, 04:40:43 PMIf anyone's interested, I've just pushed an update to my playbook that will email me on both completion and failure of the nightly backup.

Next step is to figure out how to leave the last few backups on the server, and automatically delete anything older than that.

ME...
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - April 21, 2024, 06:04:33 PM
so does it match.... brushed or unbrushed?
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - April 21, 2024, 05:43:32 PM
Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on April 21, 2024, 02:27:23 PMevery now and then i ponder on things

Why do members here just lurk and not reply?

* von Corax MOD EDIT: Political comments deleted at the request of the OP

Please delete for being to political.

selective editing but I can accept it. At least it issues one point.....and that includes Mods...... the like button is an easy out.