News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Metaphysical / Re: Instagram
Last post by chironex - May 10, 2024, 07:52:40 AM
My account is called "necromotive".
Metaphysical / Re: Instagram
Last post by CrazedFandango - May 10, 2024, 07:24:09 AM
I'm on there.  Same name but mainly music/guitar-related posts and follows.

Perhaps I should create a separate account for Steampunk.
United Kingdom / Re: UK Steampunks
Last post by CrazedFandango - May 09, 2024, 06:32:25 AM
It seems Gloucester Steampunks are quite active.  A fair few meetings and events organised (I went to one this past weekend).

There's a bit of activity in Chepstow too.

Check out both groups on FB if you're local(ish).
Off Topic / Re: YET *EVEN* MORE things tha...
Last post by The Bullet - May 08, 2024, 06:43:12 AM
Today I spent some time watching the little birds leave the box for the first time.
Got some good pictures of some of them.
Tactile / Re: Victorian Boombox Mark IV
Last post by J. Wilhelm - May 08, 2024, 02:49:26 AM
RANT WARNING: I'm just thinking aloud and bumping the thread. Maybe someone has a useful suggestion.

I'm experiencing an extreme amount of "Designers' Block." I can see the Art Deco patterns, I understand them, but somehow feels like it's way too much work, to reproduce those geometric figures in wood. I'm completely stuck on those speaker grills, and I can't get myself out of this rut.

The truth is that real life problems have absolutely killed my creative spirit. It's not like I'm busy taking care of real life problems. Quite the opposite, I have enough time at night and two days off per week. It's just that I'm so poor, that I can't do anything about real life problems!  I will most likely have to abandon my mother's remains in San Diego and let the County Coroner take over the remains. It's already been too long since she's passed away (1 month).  So all I do, day in and day out is hope that some of the assistance I've signed up to comes in (worker assistance program at my job, an application for help with a co-worker at a local church), and in the meantime I get lost in my job and my daily chores. When I do have some free time like right now, I struggle to get inspired to do anything.

Anyhow.  As I wrote above I'm not making any headway with the boombox. Next in line is doing the grills and installing the shortwave radio, plus installing the sound card between the computer and the amplifier.

The sound card will take some time, because a good, updated Hi-Res capable sound card. like the Creative X4 will cost hundreds of dollars

Right now the computer is communicating with the amplifier via Bluetooth 5.0. For daily use it's all I need. I've already tested the setup with a 2000s Era Sound Blaster card, so I know it'll work, but the idea is to go all the way up in sound quality. For now the boombox works great and keeps me entertained when I want to relax and forget about the world.  I shower at night in my fairly mid-century looking rental room, and there's absolutely nothing I enjoy more that lowering the lights, and lying in bed while I listen to some streamed music like the Diana Krall channel or if I'm in the Art Deco mood, Duke Ellington channel (to keep in character, you see?). I will do that for a couple of hours, before I'm hungry enough to raid the refrigerator around midnight and going to sleep in the wee hours of the morning.

Rinse and repeat 5 days per week.

But the Mk. IV deserves better, because the darn thing performs so immaculately, and I feel guilty about not making any progress. You'd figure that looking like a flapper (or at least my haircut, ha, ha), and listening to 20s/30s jazz would be enough to inspire me somehow, but it still doesn't  :P  Maybe look more toward retro Sci-Fi like that in Last Exile / Range Murata illustrations?

1930s Philco "Radio Bar."

Maybe put some alcohol in it?  Anything is better with alcohol in it!

Off Topic / Re: Dreyfuss, the St. Elmo, an...
Last post by J. Wilhelm - May 08, 2024, 12:34:03 AM
Quote from: MWBailey on May 06, 2024, 11:57:17 AM"Whereinna heck have you been, Bailey?"

SNIP

I'm glad to see you back. I was wondering that myself. But I'm glad things are turning out for the best in your family.
Last post by von Corax - May 07, 2024, 09:07:57 PM
Quote from: The Bullet on May 07, 2024, 07:35:18 PMBird box: little birds are grown so I guess they will leave in the next few days.

But today I had an absolute first:
I always have a small bowl with mealworms standing on a table outside for the birds.
Mother bird picks the worms up even with me sitting at this table, less than half a metre from the bowl, so well within reach.

Over the last years I always tried holding the bowl in my hand and wait for mother bord to come and pick up some worms. she never did.

She always waits for me in the mornings, when the bowl i empty and I come outside to fill it.
Normally she sits on the roof of the garage or shed and just watches me.

Today I gave it another try and held the bowl towards her.
She came flying to me, sat down on the edge of the bowl, looked at me for a few seconds and then started picking up worms and delivering them into the bird box to her little ones.
She came back every time to get more.

This was a great experience.

I remember several years ago I was sitting on my parents' patio, practicing inner stillness, when I noticed a female Northern Oriole in the adjacent lilac bush. A moment later, she took flight in my general direction. Then she was flying directly toward me. Then she was flying directly at my face.

Reflexively I raised my hand, and the bird landed on my outstretched fingertips, and looked at me as if to say, "Where the Hell did you come from?"
Last post by The Bullet - May 07, 2024, 07:35:18 PM
Bird box: little birds are grown so I guess they will leave in the next few days.

But today I had an absolute first:
I always have a small bowl with mealworms standing on a table outside for the birds.
Mother bird picks the worms up even with me sitting at this table, less than half a metre from the bowl, so well within reach.

Over the last years I always tried holding the bowl in my hand and wait for mother bord to come and pick up some worms. she never did.

She always waits for me in the mornings, when the bowl i empty and I come outside to fill it.
Normally she sits on the roof of the garage or shed and just watches me.

Today I gave it another try and held the bowl towards her.
She came flying to me, sat down on the edge of the bowl, looked at me for a few seconds and then started picking up worms and delivering them into the bird box to her little ones.
She came back every time to get more.

This was a great experience.
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - May 07, 2024, 05:19:03 PM
In my deeds it states as the land on which my house now sits was once owned by the church it is still illegal to have a travelling circus or wondering tradesmen/ tinkers in my now garden.

Oh bugger, and I had plans for Billy Smart or cirque du soleilto set up camp so I could make some money......

Oh well.
Last post by Sir Henry - May 07, 2024, 04:59:29 PM
Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on May 07, 2024, 03:34:16 PM
Quote from: Sir Henry on April 30, 2024, 04:26:16 PMI called a friend and had a chat this afternoon.

It was only a short call, but it's the first time I've spoken to anyone other than my wife, son or cashier at the supermarket (and you lot) in well over two months. I was supposed to go to a party a week ago but had a panic attack instead, so today's call was the first baby step back to being social, I hope.
Thumbs up to that. One step at a time.

My happy today........ I finally received the deeds to my mums house, I was expecting a piece of paper but I got a whole folder of documents 8 inches thick, dating from 1862 to the present.
I'm almost scared to touch some of them, crumpled, old and flakey, tied in a purple ribbon in a bow.
Anyway, at least I can put the thing on the market now.

Those old documents often make fascinating reading. When we bought our current house the old paperwork included the original deeds with the proviso that a dwelling house had to be built on the property within 9 months of purchase. Our solicitor confirmed that that clause could probably be ignored, even if it could still be legally binding.
It also told us that the wilderness behind our garden was part of the property, thus more than doubling the size of the garden in one sentence.
So yes, it is worth having a look at those dirty deeds.