News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Goblin Song

Started by Cora Courcelle, December 25, 2023, 07:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cora Courcelle

Dr Who's 'The Goblin Song' - do watch it with the lyrics (if you haven't already done so)... it's a work of genius 😄😄😄

(Yes, I know it's been around for a couple of weeks but we try to avoid watching trailers. I enjoyed Ncuti's doctor too).
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Rockula

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

SeVeNeVeS

Yet another train wreck. I would say either ditch the writers or put this rubbish where it currently belongs........ Childrens television, CBBC along side with Teletubbies.

BBC actually class this as drama.

Drama school acting maybe but alas not drama or science fiction.

Rockula

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on December 27, 2023, 10:41:09 AMYet another train wreck. I would say either ditch the writers or put this rubbish where it currently belongs........ Childrens television, CBBC along side with Teletubbies.

BBC actually class this as drama.

Drama school acting maybe but alas not drama or science fiction.

It's a kid's show. Adults watch it but it's not made for them. It never has been.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Justin Time

Quote from: Rockula on December 27, 2023, 12:18:24 PMIt's a kid's show. Adults watch it but it's not made for them. It never has been.

Nonsense.  Doctor Who was created as a family show (specifically a family educational show), which is why it has always been made by the BBC's drama department and not the children's television department.

The people in and out of the TV industry who call/called it a kids show are usually the type who dismiss anything SF or fantasy as being "for children" because it isn't deadly serious or purely historical.  Sydney Newman, himself, described the show in a TV interview as "a fictional sci-fi kind of thing for family viewing".

DW has included things that appealed to children and adults so families could watch it together (back when people did that sort of thing).  Over the years the show has skewed action, scary, silly and in more recent years soapy.  It has been many things, but it was never intended as a purely kids show.

JIT
Have you never wondered what it would be like to walk between the ticks and tocks of Time?

Sorontar

Part of the problem with Mary Whitehouse's complaints about Doctor Who was always that she saw children as the target audience, even though her protests seemed to indicate that little of it was appropriate for them.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: Sorontar on January 07, 2024, 10:09:36 AMPart of the problem with Mary Whitehouse's complaints about Doctor Who was always that she saw children as the target audience, even though her protests seemed to indicate that little of it was appropriate for them.

Sorontar

So Russell T. Davies' LGBTQ agenda would have the woman fitting in her grave.

I give drama school black bloke one season then our dear Russell will totally camp it up and RuPaul will take over.

Sack the twat and get some serious sci fi going. Bring back christopher eccleston, rose and clara, even captain jack.

LGBTQ has its place in television and I agree with it but please leave Dr Who out of it and choose another form of soapbox.

Justin Time

The sexualizing of Doctor Who, and the Doctor specifically, was always confusing and disappointing to me.  As soon as they did it in the TVM I felt it was a big mistake.

The only time I can recall the Doctor showing any inclination for romance, until the (terrible) 1996 TVM, was William Hartnell in "The Aztecs".  Can anyone think of another example before 1996 the 2005 revival?

My own feeling has always been, if you leave a character's sexuality vague, anyone can more easily identify with them.  Depicting the Doctor as anything but asexual immediately alienates some portion of the audience. 

Making the sexuality so heavy-handed, like RTD did before and is most certainly doing now, is what drove me from the show after 35+ years of fandom.  Well, that and the increasingly lazy, sloppy writing.

JIT
Have you never wondered what it would be like to walk between the ticks and tocks of Time?

CrazedFandango

Anything BBC seems to be so `woke' and anything quality is a secondary thought.