News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Tactile / Re: That 'big project' I've be...
Last post by James Harrison - Yesterday at 04:13:25 PM
Well, the missing third of the delivery did turn up today (that still doesn't answer why it didn't arrive yesterday though)...

Lesson learnt; don't trust the big DIY chains. 

Looks like the next few weekends are going to be mostly spent either painting or staining wood, if I'm to get the room ready for the plumber and tiler to come in in early July. 
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - Yesterday at 12:51:35 PM
I tend to go to a prpoer builders merchant rather than DIY stores now.

Better quality of timber and better delivery if needed.

DIY are good for certain things but only if I'm desperate and also depends on the project.

Can be slightly more expensive, but you get what you pay for as they say.
Last post by Sorontar - Yesterday at 12:38:11 PM
Are you protected by consumer law?

Sorontar
Last post by James Harrison - Yesterday at 12:15:03 PM
Quote from: Sir Henry on Yesterday at 07:29:39 AM
Quote from: James Harrison on May 16, 2024, 05:54:28 PM[snip] but if it's something described as 'delivery only' then run a mile in the other direction, frankly. 
If it's described as 'delivery only' or 'from one of our partners' they tell you, at some point before the actual sale, who that is. If you then go to that company's website you can get it direct, usually cheaper, and with far, far better customer service. I've been doing this for about a year (since B&Q upped their prices by 30% almost across the board over a weekend) and haven't had any problems like that since.

That's a good tip, if they tell you who the manufacturer / supplier is.
Photography / Re: Wildlife
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - Yesterday at 11:23:03 AM

Off Topic / Re: Somewhere between Gaaaaah ...
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - Yesterday at 09:02:54 AM
Quote from: Cora Courcelle on Yesterday at 08:11:30 AMOh yes, sorry, I didn't think about the tuna as we only ever buy tuna in spring water.
No worries Miss Cora thanks for the tuna tip.  8)
I didn't even know of tuna in spring water.... Only in brine.
I've cooked up a chicken breast just in case, to try and tempt him.
See what happens.
Last post by Cora Courcelle - Yesterday at 08:11:30 AM
Oh yes, sorry, I didn't think about the tuna as we only ever buy tuna in spring water.
Last post by Sir Henry - Yesterday at 07:29:39 AM
Quote from: James Harrison on May 16, 2024, 05:54:28 PM[snip] but if it's something described as 'delivery only' then run a mile in the other direction, frankly. 
If it's described as 'delivery only' or 'from one of our partners' they tell you, at some point before the actual sale, who that is. If you then go to that company's website you can get it direct, usually cheaper, and with far, far better customer service. I've been doing this for about a year (since B&Q upped their prices by 30% almost across the board over a weekend) and haven't had any problems like that since.
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - Yesterday at 04:13:58 AM
Quote from: Rockula on May 16, 2024, 02:20:52 PMA bit of advice from a cat owner (well, his name is Stuart and I think he owns us)

Cats can only eat tuna in spring water safely. Cats mustn't eat tuna in oil or brine as these can cause health problems including liver failure. Choose a high-quality canned tuna product, and ensure there is no salt, seasonings or additives. Canned tuna is only safe for cats in small amounts, occasionally.

Other things cats must not eat include raisins, onion, garlic, caffeine, cow's milk, alcohol, cooking dough, chocolate, raw fish, raw eggs and DOG FOOD.

But, contrary to what some believe, as obligate carnivores, cats can eat pork as long as it's in moderation and is cooked properly. In fact, pork provides the same kind of protein found in chicken or fish.

I hope that's helpful.

Very helpful and thank you!

I've googled and cooked chicken meat (boneless/skinless) is OK, so I'll try a little of that in small portions. If he becomes a regular visitor I will take a stroll down the pet isle in my local asda next time I go shopping.

I don't want to kill him, I only just met him!

Thanks again for the advice.
Last post by The Bullet - May 16, 2024, 09:13:50 PM
Quote from: Rockula on May 16, 2024, 02:20:52 PMOther things cats must not eat...

Christusdorn (Christ´s thorn if I found the correct translation), is also poisonous for cats, like all spurge plants.
I have no idea why our cat chose to eat what looks like barbed wire in a pot. She survived, she even had no symptoms that anything was wrong. Strange creature....